Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.04: No xum1541 device found

John Durno

Jan 2, 2021, 9:14:36 PM1/2/21
to ZoomFloppy Users

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my Zoomfloppy talking to either my Ubuntu 20.04 workstation or my Windows 10 laptop, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I get the same "no xum1541 device found" error in both cases.

The Zoomfloppy is new, purchased fall 2020. I am using it with a 1541 drive with the parallel port modification. I have confirmed the drive works with a breadbin C64 (and continued to work after I modified it). On the ZF the blue LED comes on when I plug it into my computer, and the drive spins continuously when hooked up to the ZF via the parallel and serial cables (but does not spin continuously when only hooked up via the serial cable).

Focussing on the Win10 installation: I did the OpenCBM installation from Powershell as an administrator, using the 'install' script. It appeared to work fine, no errors reported. I said 'yes' to the driver installation. The ZF was connected to the computer when I ran the installation. The version of OpenCBM is 0.4.99.103.

However, when I run 'runtest.bat' as admin I get 'error: no xum1541 device found' twice, followed by 'libusb/xum1541:: the handle is invalid.' I get a similar error when I issue the cbmctrl reset command from the console. And I cannot see xum1541 in Device Manager.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I have of course tried rebooting the computer, plugging and unplugging the ZF, and running it with only the serial cable hooked up. I'm pretty careful to turn things off before plugging/unplugging things so I'm fairly sure I didn't physically damage the hardware.

Anyhow, any suggestions at this point would be gratefully appreciated.

thank you,
John

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 3, 2021, 6:20:27 AM1/3/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello John,

* On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 06:14:36PM -0800 John Durno wrote:

> On the ZF the blue
> LED comes on when I plug it into my computer, and the drive spins continuously
> when hooked up to the ZF via the parallel and serial cables (but does not spin
> continuously when only hooked up via the serial cable).

That's bad. Normally, the LED should light up. After 1 or 2 seconds, it
should go off. Then, the drive should stop spinning, too.

As this does not happen, it seems the AVR microcontroller is not
initializing. I would expect one of the following

1. A problem with the power supply
2. No firmware on the AVR
3. The AVR is broken

Can you please do the following:

Connect the ZF to the PC without any other connections. Does the LED go
off after one or two seconds? If not, can you try another cable, and/or
another USB port? If you have USB3 ports, I would highly recommend
trying and USB 2.0 port.

On Linux, does the ZF appear with lsusb? Mine shows up as:
Bus XXX Device YYY: ID 16d0:0504 MCS RETRO Innovations ZoomFloppy

> Focussing on the Win10 installation: I did the OpenCBM installation from
> Powershell as an administrator, using the 'install' script. It appeared to work
> fine, no errors reported. I said 'yes' to the driver installation. The ZF was
> connected to the computer when I ran the installation. The version of OpenCBM
> is 0.4.99.103.

This sounds good, but I expect you have a much more general problem.

Adding to the question above if the ZF appears on Linux with lsusb, does
it appear on Windows in the device manager?

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/

John Durno

Jan 3, 2021, 7:19:49 PM1/3/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spiro,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

>Connect the ZF to the PC without any other connections. Does
> the LED go off after one or two seconds?

Even with nothing else connected to the ZF, the LED is on continuously.

>If not, can you try another cable, and/or
>another USB port? If you have USB3 ports,
>I would highly recommend trying and USB 2.0 port.

Unfortunately I don't have another cable ready to hand, but I will get pick one up in the next day or so. I can confirm this cable has been tested working with other devices. In the meantime, I've tried with a USB 2.0 port and am getting the same result. LED is on continuously.

>On Linux, does the ZF appear with lsusb? Mine shows up as:
>Bus XXX Device YYY: ID 16d0:0504 MCS RETRO Innovations ZoomFloppy

No, the output of lsusb is the same regardless of whether the ZoomFloppy is connected or not.

>Adding to the question above if the ZF appears on Linux with lsusb, does
>it appear on Windows in the device manager?

It does not show up in Windows device manager.

best,
John

Nate Lawson

Jan 4, 2021, 4:00:39 AM1/4/21
to ZoomFloppy Users

On Jan 3, 2021, at 3:20 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis <an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:

2. No firmware on the AVR

This one can be checked by looking for the AVR in DFU mode in Device Manager. If so, it just needs the firmware programmed in.

Getting started with ATmega8u2 and other AVR USB microcontrollers –  HELENTRONICA

Nate Lawson

Jan 4, 2021, 4:02:19 AM1/4/21
to ZoomFloppy Users

On Jan 3, 2021, at 3:20 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis <an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:

2. No firmware on the AVR

This one can be checked by looking for the AVR in DFU mode in Device Manager. If so, it just needs the firmware programmed in. It will look like this

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 4, 2021, 4:28:12 AM1/4/21

* On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 12:19:44AM +0000 John Durno wrote:

> >On Linux, does the ZF appear with lsusb? Mine shows up as:
> >Bus XXX Device YYY: ID 16d0:0504 MCS RETRO Innovations ZoomFloppy
>
> No, the output of lsusb is the same regardless of whether the ZoomFloppy is connected or not.

Just to confirm: There is also no "DFU" device (like Nate wrote)?

In this case, the device seems to be dead.

John Durno

Jan 4, 2021, 7:45:29 PM1/4/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spiro and Nate,

> Just to confirm: There is also no "DFU" device (like Nate wrote)?
>and
> This one can be checked by looking for the AVR in DFU mode in Device
>Manager. If so, it just needs the firmware programmed in.

Sadly, nothing shows up in Device Manager.

> In this case, the device seems to be dead.

That's unfortunate, but I really appreciate your help and guidance here. I don't think I did anything bad to it, so I suspect it was DOA. I will follow up with the supplier.

Thanks again,
John

RETRO Innovations

Jan 4, 2021, 8:36:45 PM1/4/21
On 1/4/2021 6:45 PM, John Durno wrote:
> Hi Spiro and Nate,
>
>> Just to confirm: There is also no "DFU" device (like Nate wrote)?
>> and
>> This one can be checked by looking for the AVR in DFU mode in Device
>> Manager. If so, it just needs the firmware programmed in.
> Sadly, nothing shows up in Device Manager.
>
>> In this case, the device seems to be dead.
> That's unfortunate, but I really appreciate your help and guidance here. I don't think I did anything bad to it, so I suspect it was DOA. I will follow up with the supplier.

It'd be nice to get a glimpse of the unit and/or a link to the sales
page.  When you initially referred to it as a ZF, I checked my sales
archive and could not find your name, and it looks like it was indeed
purchased elsewhere.  Does it look like the normal ZoomFloppy, or is it
a different looking unit?

Or, if it was purchased under a different name from here, let me know.
It's not common, but I have had a few DOA units.

Jim

Thomas Winkler

Jan 5, 2021, 10:43:22 AM1/5/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spiro, Hi Nate

I have troubles to get Zoomfloppy running again.
XUM1541CFG reports: no xum1541 found

>finding device...
>error: cannot query product name: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
>error: no xum1541 found

In Windows 10 device manager I see the device under "libusb-win32-devices" as "XUM1541 USB Floppy Adapter (generic-v06)

I know, v06 is really old!
But to update I need XUM1541CFG.exe and this doesn't work, cause it don't find it:

D:\Bin\CBM\opencbm-0.4.99.103>xum1541cfg.exe update xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v08.hex
finding and preparing device for update...
error: cannot query product name: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
warning: no xum1541 found, continuing to look for devices in DFU mode
error: no devices found to update

Can you help me please?

best regards
Tommy

Thomas Winkler

Jan 5, 2021, 11:27:21 AM1/5/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Okay, it is working fine now ...

the solution comes already from a previous thread:
ZoomFloppy V1.0 from 2010 not working with OpenCBM 0.4.99.103

Thanks!

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 5, 2021, 3:50:02 PM1/5/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Thomas,

* On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 05:27:08PM +0100 Thomas Winkler wrote:
> Okay, it is working fine now ...
>
> the solution comes already from a previous thread:
> ZoomFloppy V1.0 from 2010 not working with OpenCBM 0.4.99.103

I assume the fix is using the WinUSB driver, right?

Did you use the install script? Did you let it try to update the
drivers? Did it work, or not? How did you fix it - with ZADIG?

Thomas Winkler

Jan 6, 2021, 3:39:06 PM1/6/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spiro

Yes, I did Install Procedure and it show success.
But none of my 3 XUM devices are found by openCBM.

But Windows devices Manager shows Zoomfloppy devices, each of the 3.

Yes Zadig solves the problem exactly as written in the other Thread.

Now it works perfectly, including update with HEX File to Version 0.8

Best regards
Tommy

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jan 6, 2021, 4:06:08 PM1/6/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

* On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 09:38:51PM +0100 Thomas Winkler wrote:

> But Windows devices Manager shows Zoomfloppy devices, each of the 3.
>
> Yes Zadig solves the problem exactly as written in the other Thread.

Ok, I just filed a bug report for this issues, as it was reported
multiple times: https://github.com/OpenCBM/OpenCBM/issues/76

Thank you for the feedback.

rittwage

Jan 7, 2021, 7:53:43 AM1/7/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
It seems like there is a big problem with 3rd party devices being called a "ZoomFloppy". I don't know how you keep it straight.
-Pete

Thomas Winkler

Jan 7, 2021, 11:20:03 AM1/7/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete

> It seems like there is a big problem with 3rd party devices being called a "ZoomFloppy".

Not in this case.

I have 3 Zoomfloppy.
1 original from Jim and 2 others.
All three had exactly the same problem.

But it is not a OpenCBM problem, but a driver problem.

I didn't change anything on my OpenCBM installation.
After running Zadig OpenCBM runs fine without modification nor reinstall.

Regards

rittwage

Jan 7, 2021, 8:24:35 PM1/7/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
ZoomFloppy is a specific product, sold only by Jim. Now if you mean you bought an original one second-hand from someone, that is one thing. Other devices are not a "ZoomFloppy". They may be a XUM1541-compatible device running on various difference platforms.

Anyway, glad you got them working. :)

-Pete

Nate Lawson

Jan 7, 2021, 9:07:48 PM1/7/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
He said he got a ZF from Jim. Thanks

-Nate

On Jan 7, 2021, at 5:24 PM, rittwage <ritt...@gmail.com> wrote:

ZoomFloppy is a specific product, sold only by Jim. Now if you mean you bought an original one second-hand from someone, that is one thing. Other devices are not a "ZoomFloppy". They may be a XUM1541-compatible device running on various difference platforms.

rittwage

Jan 11, 2021, 1:27:57 PM1/11/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
There are two different people asking for help in this thread, but no matter. Standing down...

Nate Lawson

Jan 11, 2021, 5:58:45 PM1/11/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
Sorry, missed that. Yeah I meant the OP, not Diddl.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/zoomfloppy-users/3cad84d4-9ced-417f-8b43-6a64e96df430n%40googlegroups.com.

Mike B

Mar 8, 2021, 11:07:21 PM3/8/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
Was the problem of the OP (John) with Windows 10 ever resolved?  I have the exact same issues with a ZF purchased lasat week.  Blue LED remains on, ZF not recognized in Device Manager, etc.  I've tried the same installation process above using powershell and 0.4.99.103 ; AND using the method/files recommended in the ZoomFloppy.pdf, i.e. "ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386", both with equal levels of fail.  I get the same message ( error: no xum1541 device found )  upon running runtest.bat.

John Durno

Mar 9, 2021, 12:16:04 PM3/9/21
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm the OP. The replacement ZF from Jim has arrived  but have not yet had a chance to try it out . So it's not 100% confirmed that it was a hardware problem with the first ZF, although it's the most likely explanation.

 Should be able to get to it in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a note to the list once I've had a chance to set up the new one.

John

Spiro Trikaliotis

Mar 9, 2021, 3:24:19 PM3/9/21
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello Mike,

* On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 08:07:21PM -0800 Mike B wrote:
> Was the problem of the OP (John) with Windows 10 ever resolved? I have the
> exact same issues with a ZF purchased lasat week. Blue LED remains on, ZF not
> recognized in Device Manager, etc.

Do you see neither the ZF nor the "Atmel DFU device"? Or is one of both
present?

> I've tried the same installation process
> above using powershell and 0.4.99.103 ; AND using the method/files recommended
> in the ZoomFloppy.pdf, i.e. "ZoomFloppy-2.0-i386", both with equal levels of
> fail.

It is not a good idea to mix both versions, because they are not
compatible to each other. :(