Qur'an Fonts

meho_r

Nov 10, 2007, 6:05:41 PM11/10/07
to zekr
Salaam

I've been looking for a long time for a good arabic font that is able
to show all diacritics which take place in qur'anic script. The best
till now was me_Quran which is included in Zekr, but unfortunately it
has restrictions (personal use only). I tried to contact the author,
but there wasn't any reply:( On the other side, there's Scheherazade
font which is very good but lacks some of diacritics (i.e. there's no
difference between iqlaab and ihfaa' -- it only puts ''meem'' below
the ''tanween''). So, if anyone knows where to find a font that is
similar to me_Quran and has all diacritics, please let me know. Thanks
in advance.

Mohsen Saboorian

Nov 10, 2007, 10:53:17 PM11/10/07
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Salaam,

I don't think there would be any. Scheherazade supports Arabic as far
as Unicode supports it. There is no support for Iqlab/Ikhfa in Unicode
AFAIK. me_quran uses a wise idea for supporting that. It uses two
special Meems (U+6E2 and U+6ED) after Tanween. See:
1. عَلِيمٌۢ بِذَاتِ
2. أَذِلَّةٌۭ فَٱتَّقُوا۟

Since there is no native support in Unicode, the text me_quran uses,
should have some combination of characters so that it is able to
render different kind of Tanweens (and sometime change Tanween to it's
base diacritic + Meem, as in the case if "عَلِيمٌۢ بِذَاتِ").

Best,
Mohsen.

meho_r

Nov 11, 2007, 4:08:32 AM11/11/07
to zekr
Salaam

Maybe not as open source, but commercial. In couple of books I noticed
that there were used fonts which are very similar to me_Quran, with
all diacritics but with a little ''cleaner'' shapes (as Scheherazade)
but sad thing is that I don't now their names. I tried to find out
names, but without success:( One really good example of a nice quranic
font is this: http://www.diwan.com/mishafi/main.htm But, it seems that
use of this font is limited to software with which it comes. No use
for me in that case...

On Nov 11, 4:53 am, "Mohsen Saboorian" <mohs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Salaam,
>
> I don't think there would be any. Scheherazade supports Arabic as far
> as Unicode supports it. There is no support for Iqlab/Ikhfa in Unicode
> AFAIK. me_quran uses a wise idea for supporting that. It uses two
> special Meems (U+6E2 and U+6ED) after Tanween. See:
> 1. عَلِيمٌۢ بِذَاتِ
> 2. أَذِلَّةٌۭ فَٱتَّقُوا۟
>
> Since there is no native support in Unicode, the text me_quran uses,
> should have some combination of characters so that it is able to
> render different kind of Tanweens (and sometime change Tanween to it's
> base diacritic + Meem, as in the case if "عَلِيمٌۢ بِذَاتِ").
>
> Best,
> Mohsen.

Mohammad Derakhshani

Nov 11, 2007, 10:16:42 AM11/11/07
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Salaam,

I found this font recently:
<http://www.pakdata.com/products/arabicfont>
Though It is not as rich as me_quran.

Download link:
<http://pakdata.com/download/PDMS_Saleem_QuranFont-signed.ttf>

Mohammad

Mohsen Saboorian

Nov 11, 2007, 12:10:35 PM11/11/07
to ze...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 11, 2007 12:38 PM, meho_r <meho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Salaam
>
> Maybe not as open source, but commercial. In couple of books I noticed
> that there were used fonts which are very similar to me_Quran, with
> all diacritics but with a little ''cleaner'' shapes (as Scheherazade)
> but sad thing is that I don't now their names. I tried to find out
> names, but without success:( One really good example of a nice quranic
> font is this: http://www.diwan.com/mishafi/main.htm But, it seems that
> use of this font is limited to software with which it comes. No use
> for me in that case...

The rendered text is not as similar to Uthman Taha as me_quran is.
me_quran is nicer IMHO.
Did you tried this GPL one: http://mrykacstqurn.wikispaces.com/

Mohsen.

Alex Gretlein

Nov 11, 2007, 5:33:02 PM11/11/07
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Any idea what the intended license is for 'PDMS Saleem?'

meho_r

Nov 11, 2007, 6:25:52 PM11/11/07
to zekr
Salaam

PDMS-Saleem is veeery nice, although it has some problems with
diacritics. Thank you very much:) And yes, I tried mrykacstqurn, it is
my choice for now although I like me_Quran more. With mrykacstqurn
there are some ovelaping (i.e. Alef/hamza with fatha and following
harf ''kaaf'')

I noticed that arabeyes_qr_meor (modified ArabeyesQr) too has all
diacritics, but me_Quran is still nicer. And author is same for both.
There's DecoType Naskh Special which is nice, but as Scheherazade it
lacks some diacritics. There's also fantastic font Nafees but has some
serious issues with hamza and lacks harf ''ha''! Too bad:(

For now, for full quranic text with all diacritics usable are me_Quran
(but restricted), arabeyes_qr_meor (same author) and mrykacstqurn.

If anyone get some news in this regard, please let us know.

ned...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2007, 1:20:33 PM11/12/07
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Assalamu alaykum

what are you thinking about this: http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Arabic.html?
Which of these fonts are without lack of diactrics?

May Allah bless you.
Assalamu alaykum
Nedim

2007/11/12, meho_r <meho...@gmail.com>:

--
http://www.genocid.org/gallery.php
www.ubuntume.com

meho_r

Nov 13, 2007, 4:29:12 AM11/13/07
to zekr
Salaam

Most of these font comes with installation of Ubuntu (B ''xy'' set,
Arabeyes set, Farsi, Diwani etc.) and they have only basic set of
diacritics (no different ''tanweens'' for ''izhaar'' and ''ihfaa'' for
example). These are Unicode fonts and they don't support all
diacritics used in quranic text. Some of them even have problem with
harakaat (at least in OpenOffice and some other apps on Linux) and
leave empty space between letters.

On Nov 12, 7:20 pm, nedi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Assalamu alaykum
>
> what are you thinking about this:http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Arabic.html?
> Which of these fonts are without lack of diactrics?
>
> May Allah bless you.
> Assalamu alaykum
> Nedim

meho_r

Nov 13, 2007, 7:52:37 AM11/13/07
to zekr
Salaam

BTW, I heard of Arabtype.ttf font that comes with Vista (or MS Office
2003 proofing tools). Anyone tried it?

Lateef Shaikh

Feb 4, 2018, 7:01:51 AM2/4/18
to zekr
AoA,
Can you please check PakType fonts from following location, and let me know in case of any issue:

paktype.sourceforge.net

All of them are available under GNU public license.

Thanks
Lateef