Re: [zekr] Zekr 1.1.0 doesnt start on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Message has been deleted

Ali Rastegar

Jul 27, 2015, 5:09:30 PM7/27/15
to ze...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure if the error is showing the real issue, but it seems to have issues creating the ".zekr" folder on "/Users/nebiserc/" path.
Do you have write permissions in your home folder? (You should unless you have changed permissions yourself).

Some general tips for using Zekr on latest versions of OS X:
- Download and install the legacy Java package from this page:

Then check your Java version in Terminal with the "java -version" command, if it gives a version number higher than 1.6, download the following Info.plist file:

Then right click on Zekr.app, click on "Show Package Contents", open the "Contents" folder and then replace the Info.plist file in there with newer one you have downloaded from the link above.

- I also recommend you to download and install this update package of Zekr which includes an updated SWT package:

You can also manually download the latest swt.jar and put it inside the Zekr.app bundle (in Zekr.app/Contents/Resources/Java):

I hope you can make it work.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Assalamu alaykum,

brothers I wanted to install the application but i get the following error when I enter "/Applications/Zekr.app/
Contents/MacOS/Zekr" in my terminal, I get the following error:

[LaunchRunner Error] 'Arguments' key in 'Java' sub-dictionary of Info.plist requires a string value or an array of strings
[LaunchRunner Error] net.sf.zekr.ZekrMain.main(String[]) threw an exception:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at net.sf.zekr.ZekrMain.startZekr(ZekrMain.java:36)
    at net.sf.zekr.ZekrMain.main(ZekrMain.java:94)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116)
    at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
    at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Can not create '/Users/nebiserc/.zekr'.
    at net.sf.zekr.engine.log.Logger.<clinit>(Logger.java:51)
    ... 9 more

I can install it normally, but when I try to start it, it happens nothing.
Please please please can you help me to fix this inshaAllah?

Message has been deleted

Ali Rastegar

Jul 29, 2015, 5:55:59 PM7/29/15
to Fenerbahçeli Nebi, zekr
You're welcome, the reason you got the  "The file is damaged and cant be open..." error was the fact that Gatekeeper feature in OS X found some changed files (e.g. the swt.jar) in your application bundle and got suspicious.

Here is a completely different application bundle that has been tested on OS X Yosemite but should work with OS X Lion or higher if Oracle's Java 7 or later is installed:

BTW, Make sure no adware gets installed when you download and install Java from Oracle!

See this for example:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your quick answer.

I tried anything what you said one by one... I tried to insert swt.jar myself and after that I tried it with the app from your dropboxlink. Both doesnt work :(
I get the following error: "The file is damaged and cant be open..." or so.
Do you have any idea? :(

Ali Rastegar

Jul 29, 2015, 6:44:48 PM7/29/15
to Fenerbahçeli Nebi, zekr
Do you still get "java.lang.RuntimeException: Can not create '/Users/nebiserc/.zekr'." in Terminal?

Or another error?

Do you have a .zekr folder in /Users/nebiserc? Have you tried making one and trying again?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
SubhanAllah akhi still the same bug :/
I have got Java version 8 update 51 installed without adware.
Where is the problem?

Ali Rastegar

Jul 29, 2015, 6:58:44 PM7/29/15
to Fenerbahçeli Nebi, zekr
Please try this in Terminal:

mkdir /Users/nebiserc/.zekr

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
You are right there is no such directory. But I cant create a directory there... I dont know why. Can you tell me how to do that?

Ali Rastegar

Jul 29, 2015, 7:13:47 PM7/29/15
to Fenerbahçeli Nebi, zekr
So we are back to my original guess about the cause:

I'm not sure if the error is showing the real issue, but it seems to have issues creating the ".zekr" folder on "/Users/nebiserc/" path.
Do you have write permissions in your home folder? (You should unless you have changed permissions yourself).

You should normally have write permissions in your home folder, your current user is nebisrc, right?

Have you changed any permissions? Have you tried the "repair disk permissions" button in Disk Utility to see if it fixes it?

If after using the repair permissions function of Disk Utility it still does not work, please try this:
- Go to Users folder via Finder.
- Right click on nebisrc, click on Get Info.
- Under the "Sharing & Permissions" section, make sure your user has "Read & Write" privilege (You may need to click on the tiny lock icon in there and enter your password before you can make such changes).

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Operation not permitted <- this is the "answer" from my terminal :/

Ali Rastegar

Jul 29, 2015, 7:43:00 PM7/29/15
to Fenerbahçeli Nebi, zekr
I'm pretty sure your latest error is because of an space between " /Applications/Zekr.app/" and "Contents/MacOS/Zekr", the following should not give that "is a directory" error:

/Applications/Zekr.app/Contents/MacOS/Zekr

But as for the writing permissions issue, if you don't want to take any risks, you can create a new user account (via System Preferences -> Users & Groups), log in to that user and then try running Zekr.

If it works with that user the following may help:

When you are sure that you have an up-to-date, working backup of your system , you can try the "III. Recovery Partition" section of this guide:

But instead of resetting your password, click on the "Reset" button under the "Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs" section, as can be seen in this image:

(You should select your HD and the affected user first).

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Now I get this:

"Nebis-MacBook-Air:.zekr nebiserc$ /Applications/Zekr.app/ Contents/MacOS/Zekr
-bash: /Applications/Zekr.app/: is a directory"

But it still doesnt start zekr :D
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ali Rastegar

Jul 30, 2015, 3:23:42 AM7/30/15
to zekr
Which recitation is currently selected?
Have you tried changing the recitation to something else? (Audio -> Recitation)
Does it happen with both your current user and the new user?

I remember people had issues with recitations with older version of swt.jar while running Zekr on newer OS X versions, although I can't reproduce your issue on my end, on 10.10.4.
I recommend you to use Zekr from the DMG file that I linked to in my last email, with your new user, then see if the recitation works.

If the issue persists with that new user account, please press Command-Shift-G while you are in Finder, then enter the following:
~/.zekr
Then click on "Go".
Find the zekr.log in there and send it to my email address (not to the Zekr group).

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 4:37 AM, Fenerbahçeli Nebi <nebi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
That was too early xD I cant "play" recitation...

"sun.misc.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.sound.sampled.spi.AudioFileReader: : java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
    at sun.misc.Service.fail(Service.java:129)
    at sun.misc.Service.parse(Service.java:209)
    at sun.misc.Service.access$100(Service.java:111)
    at sun.misc.Service$LazyIterator.hasNext(Service.java:258)
    at com.sun.media.sound.JSSecurityManager$3.run(JSSecurityManager.java:182)
    at com.sun.media.sound.JSSecurityManager$3.run(JSSecurityManager.java:180)
    at com.sun.media.sound.JSSecurityManager.getProviders(JSSecurityManager.java:186)
    at com.sun.media.sound.JDK13Services.getProviders(JDK13Services.java:107)
    at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getProviders(AudioSystem.java:1612)
    at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getAudioFileReaders(AudioSystem.java:1387)
    at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(AudioSystem.java:1088)
    at javazoom.jlgui.basicplayer.BasicPlayer.initAudioInputStream(Unknown Source)
    at javazoom.jlgui.basicplayer.BasicPlayer.initAudioInputStream(Unknown Source)
    at javazoom.jlgui.basicplayer.BasicPlayer.open(Unknown Source)
    at net.sf.zekr.engine.audio.DefaultPlayerController.open(DefaultPlayerController.java:133)
    at net.sf.zekr.engine.audio.DefaultPlayerController.open(DefaultPlayerController.java:145)
    at net.sf.zekr.ui.AudioPlayerUiController.playerOpenAyaAudio(AudioPlayerUiController.java:249)
    at net.sf.zekr.ui.AudioPlayerUiController.playerOpenAyaAudio(AudioPlayerUiController.java:244)
    at net.sf.zekr.ui.AudioPlayerUiController.playerTogglePlayPause(AudioPlayerUiController.java:215)
    at net.sf.zekr.engine.audio.ui.AudioPlayerForm$13.widgetSelected(AudioPlayerForm.java:719)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at net.sf.zekr.ui.BaseForm.loopEver(BaseForm.java:36)
    at net.sf.zekr.ZekrMain.startZekr(ZekrMain.java:63)

MohsinAli Matiya

Sep 23, 2021, 9:07:07 AM9/23/21
to zekr

I cann't open Zekr on MacOS Big Sur.