Dumps

Bill B

Mar 24, 2022, 11:37:42 AM3/24/22
to z390
Linux user here. New to this emulator. Just installed it from github. Sometimes dabble with MVS 3.8j in Hercules. The 370 instruction set is about as current as I am in the mainframe world. I was aware of this emulator for a while,  but avoided it because of the Java requirement, perhaps an unjust prejudice. But after looking at some of the features I bit the bullet and installed it after installing OpenJDK, and having a lot of fun. It's very cool.

Question...From the GUI, I purposely caused a ABEND (S0C6), because I know I'll get one more sooner than later. Where do the dumps go...or is there a guide to debugging using this emulator?
I looked at the "z390 User Guide V1.5.06" but it seems old. I tried "Dump ON" that I saw in the COMMANDS list but I don't see where a dump is produced.

Thanks,
Bill

Abe Kornelis

Mar 28, 2022, 3:52:46 PM3/28/22
to z3...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

Apologies for belated reply. Welcome to the z390 community!
We're all having fun toying with assembler and/or cobol.

Java is _not_ a requirement, unless you would like to contribute
to the emulator part, which is written in Java indeed.

More current information can be found at
https://z390development.github.io/z390/

If you select "Options" then "z390file Types" from
the menu bar, that might help.
I haven't done any batch dump analysis for a while,
I'd expect the dump to show up in the log.

When debugging, I usually use the interactive debugger.
from memory: EXEC.BAT path/file noloadhigh test

I hope this helps.

Kind regards & Happy programming!
Abe
===