sendFile and delete file afterwards?

jsch...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 4:20:09 AM4/2/21
to Yesod Web Framework

Hi all,

In a GET handler, I need to
  1. run an external command to generate a file
  2. send the file with sendFile
  3. delete the file afterwards
The problem is that sendFile is a short-circuit response, it skips the rest of the handler code.

How can I still delete the file afterwards? Or do I have to use an clean-up cronjob? I think the first option would be safer especially if the temporary files are stored on tmpfs.

Regards, Jakob

Michael Snoyman

Apr 2, 2021, 5:45:06 AM4/2/21
to yeso...@googlegroups.com
You can leverage the MonadResource instance to schedule a cleanup when the request handling is finished. Using allocate[1], for instance, to create a new temporary file and schedule its deletion, would work.

jsch...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2021, 11:55:43 AM4/3/21
to Yesod Web Framework
Thank you Michel! It works:

import Control.Monad.Trans.Resource (allocate)

createAndSendImage :: Handler TypedContent
createAndSendImage = do
  (_, (imageFile, tempDir)) <- allocate allocateResource freeResource
  putStrLn $ pack imageFile
  sendFile typePng imageFile
  where
    allocateResource :: IO (FilePath, FilePath)
    allocateResource = generateLilyPond >>= runLilyPond "/mnt/tmpfs" LyPng
    freeResource :: (FilePath, FilePath) -> IO ()
    freeResource (_, tempDir) = removeDirectoryRecursive tempDir