nginx (letsencrypt), tomcat9 integration

Jacob Fosso Tande

Nov 19, 2021, 4:47:12 PM11/19/21
to xnat_discussion
Hi folks,
I have been looking through the archive to see if anyone has the latest recipe
for nginx (ssl), tomcat9 integration with xnat. I was able to get just the nginx
non secure integration to work but fell short with the secured integration
(I may have screwed something up, and can't figure it out).

I would also appreciate if anyone will share recipe of nginx and letsencrypt integeration.

I appreciate your help

Herrick, Rick

Nov 22, 2021, 12:52:29 PM11/22/21
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com

From the XNAT point of view, there’s no difference between nginx with SSL and without: in both cases the request comes from the proxy to port 8080 (presuming you haven’t changed the default port on Tomcat). I’ve attached two different nginx configurations:

  • nginx-vm.ssl is the configuration from my Vagrant VM that uses an SSL certificate issued by a self-created certificate authority (XNAT Vagrant generates these when the protocol specified in the YAML configuration is set to https)
  • nginx-dev.ssl is a configuration from my dev server that uses Let’s Encrypt-generated wildcard certificates to provide the front-end proxy for various services running in Docker containers.

I can’t really help you with getting Let’s Encrypt itself set up. I previously managed Let’s Encrypt-issued certs using certbot, but switched to using acme.sh because it’s the only solution I could get working that supports issuing wildcard certificates for my DNS provider. I never had any real trouble getting certbot to work so if you can use that to manage your certificates I think that would help.

--

Rick Herrick

XNAT Architect/Developer

Computational Imaging Laboratory