control.SetName question

Nathan smith

Aug 28, 2019, 8:19:42 AM8/28/19
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So recently I discovered a problem to something I posted on hear about
regarding what screen readers announced.

Basically, to fix the problem I was having, I used control.SetName(name).

I was wondering, in wx python classic, was this done automatically, and
if it was, why was that feature removed?

Furthering to that point, doescontrol.SetName show anything on the
screen? Because if not, great!

thanks for a response.

Nathan

Robin Dunn

Aug 28, 2019, 12:00:10 PM8/28/19
to wxPython-users
Nathan,

In my very limited understanding of screen readers and accessibility options in general, using control.SetName(name) is the correct thing to do. There was always a default name applied to widgets, it's usually the last parameter of the widget class constructors. There have been some other changes within wxWidgets, but probably the main thing that has changed since Classic is that I turned on the wxWidgets compilation flags for including the wxAccessible class and also related code in the builds.

--
Robin