a large Window tile image for a python script

RASSRQ

Jul 6, 2019, 3:53:56 PM7/6/19
to wxPython-users
    This can plausibly be considered not to be a wxPython problem, but it arises because I've written Windows GUI apps as Python apps (scripts), so please bear with me …

    I have several WxPython-based apps that I need to appear on the Windows-10 start screens of a client's PCs.  I put them on the Windows Start menu by creating a Shortcut whose Target is 'pythonw.exe <app-name>' and set an icon for the shortcut.  From there I can pin that app as a tile to the Start screen.  All that works and the apps all show with their appropriate icon, except that the icon is relatively small within the Start-screen tile.  I would like that image in the tile to be bigger, but see no way to do that, either using WxPython, or by any method in Windows.  (There appears to be a method of creating an <exeName>.VisualElementsManifest.xml file that describes a larger icon, but that doesn't apply because the .exe file is pythonw for every app.

   I suspect I'm not the only one to bump up against this, so does anyone know how to solve it?

Steve Barnes

Jul 7, 2019, 12:39:30 AM7/7/19
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com

In general when you create the manually a shortcut, or edit its properties, you can assign an icon from a number of possible file types.

One package that allows you to do this programmatically is menuinst (https://github.com/ContinuumIO/menuinst)  – see the icon line in https://github.com/ContinuumIO/menuinst/wiki/Menu-Shortcut-Config-Structure for the usage. Another is  pyshortcuts which can create desktop shortcuts specifying the icon to use and once you have a desktop shortcut you can move or duplicate it to the start menu pyshortcuts even has a wx gui which has   the option to create the python code for creating the shortcut. You could use either of these packages or develop your own code based on them.

Personally  I would look at using pyshortcuts – I have just tested pyshortcuts-1.3 in on Windows 10 with Python 3.7-64 and wxPython 4.0.6 and it looks to be working nicely.

GadgetSteve