Wview website abandoned?

Trebacz

Sep 25, 2019, 10:23:25 PM9/25/19
to wview
It would seem that wview may be officially offline. Going to anything on the wview.com domain gets this: http://www.wviewweather.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi Account suspended message.

The repositries are also not available - Failed to fetch http://www.wviewweather.com/apt/saucy/dists/saucy/InRelease  Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NOSPLIT' (does the network require authentication?).

It would seem to be time to move onto weewx.

Michael Palmer

May 15, 2020, 1:45:10 PM5/15/20
to wview
... but the question is, what if you had tried weewx, didn't love it and wanted wview back... after it had recently crashed and burned !

Warren Gill

May 15, 2020, 2:21:23 PM5/15/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
There's always the Internet Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20190902142752/http://wviewweather.com/
You can still get the source code on Sourceforge (I think)

Michael Palmer

May 15, 2020, 4:27:21 PM5/15/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply..... I have been through the process of compiling from source, but have never successfully got the system up and running (the daemons throw errors) on a raspberry pi. I should have taken an image of my wview system which had run faultlessly for years before that last power brownout which killed the system. I am however, (almost) endlessly patient and will continue to try, unless I happen across an raspbian image with a full version of wview hidden on the Internet somewhere.

Warren Gill

May 15, 2020, 4:33:28 PM5/15/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Similarly, the computer I had run wview on since 2006 finally bit the dust during a power outage (where the power flipped off and on several times during a thunderstorm). I was able to retrieve the data, but decided to modernize rather than try to recreate the ancient Debian version and make wview work.
weewx is easier to setup than wview and uses the same database schema out of the box. I have it running on an Odriod HC-1, a board smaller than a Raspberry Pi, but more powerful and having a SATA port so you can write data to a laptop HDD.
https://www.hardkernel.com/ko/shop/odroid-hc1-home-cloud-one/

Graham Eddy

May 15, 2020, 9:33:10 PM5/15/20
to wview Google Group
i also ran wview for many years - very solid software, but brittle to change (i did a lot of customisation from source code).
mark teel no longer supports the software, so users are on their own.
a *much* better alternative is to move on to weewx - love it or hate it (i expect former from my own experience)
but wview users' *only* choice is *when* to move, not *if*, and the circumstances (planned, or broken-don’t-go).
cheers
g-eddy

Warren Gill

May 16, 2020, 12:08:21 AM5/16/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
I have a feeling Mark Teel is no longer with us.

Graham Eddy

May 16, 2020, 12:09:24 AM5/16/20
to wview Google Group
mark was okay a few days ago - he feels he has passed the baton on
____________
Graham Eddy

Warren Gill

May 16, 2020, 12:18:13 AM5/16/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
that's good news!

Greg N

May 16, 2020, 5:39:39 PM5/16/20
to wview
Hi,

I have source for many versions of wview and also the required radlib. I also have an SD card that I could image. It isn't a standard build - I added support for WOW, so I probably also have all of the required tools to re-build.

This was from a live system until I had problems with the weather station - perhaps this will prompt me to sort it out at long last!.

Let me know if you are interested -  but I'd need to go through to remove passwords etc. first.

Greg

Michael Palmer

May 16, 2020, 6:42:31 PM5/16/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That will assume that I am going to fail on this attempt to compile a working version !  .... like I have on the previous attempts... My wview has been offline for 6 weeks, and your offer may well be a viable option (I run a Vaisala WXT510) . Regardless I would still like to be able to compile a viable version of Wview, and who knows, I may get there.. one day.

Robert M. Jones

May 16, 2020, 6:55:15 PM5/16/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
I do not mean to hijack your thread on wview but I also was once where you are today. I know you stated that you did not like weewx. Is this because of the UI? I have incorporated Saratoga Weather for my displays which I modified the .php code to meet my needs and it makes a good platform. W4LCS

Just something to consider if wview does not work out for you.

Bob

Greg N

May 17, 2020, 5:39:18 PM5/17/20
to wview
Hi again,

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 23:42:31 UTC+1, Michael Palmer wrote:
Hi,

That will assume that I am going to fail on this attempt to compile a working version !  .... like I have on the previous attempts... My wview has been offline for 6 weeks, and your offer may well be a viable option (I run a Vaisala WXT510) . Regardless I would still like to be able to compile a viable version of Wview, and who knows, I may get there.. one day.

Actually I was assuming that you had tool/library problems which was why you were failing in your attempts to compile WView, and I was saying that I thought that i had all the tools etc. that you would need (as well as a pre-cooked SD card). Of course it might depend on what version of Raspbian you want to use.

Greg

Michael Palmer

May 19, 2020, 7:30:45 PM5/19/20
to wview
Hi,

I have Pi's 2 through 4B, and am happy to run whatever version of Raspbian I need to revive Wview. I have (apparently) successfully compiled Wview though not yet made an effort to see if the daemons are running.... maybe tomorrow.

Mike

mark reyes

May 19, 2020, 8:10:24 PM5/19/20
to wview
I run Wview on two Pi's, both running Raspbian.

Use the 'configure' script to create the Make file, then try and compile.  If it errors, then it is usually due to a dependency missing.  Determine the package it needs and then install it using the package manager "sudo apt-get install <package>" or download the source code and install manually.  Keep doing this until it will compile.

Let me know what errors you are seeing.

Mark

Michael Palmer

May 19, 2020, 8:50:39 PM5/19/20
to wv...@googlegroups.com
I have manual compiled rather than via the script, easier to catch missing dependencies, and fix along the way. Running configure then make suggests all should be fine (no errors).
Wview script into init.d, start, no errors. I will look at what daemons are running later today.

Mike

Michael Palmer

May 22, 2020, 4:36:29 AM5/22/20
to wview
Well it took a while, but Wview is alive and well again.....

The pi is now running POE from a UPS backed switch, and I will migrate to SSD to get past the SD constraints. As painful as it seemed at times, it was really just about persistence, a structured approach... and lots of coffee.

Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wv...@googlegroups.com.