FW: URGENT NOTICE FOR GPS USERS: War Games and GPS Jamming

Martin, Scott P@DOT

Jan 30, 2018, 2:05:43 PM1/30/18
to wr...@googlegroups.com

WRHM members,

This came from one of our internal users, but I thought it might be of interest to all of you, since the impact area is so large.

Scott

Scott P. Martin, PLS

California Geodetic Coordinator

Geodetic Control & GPS Surveys

Office of Land Surveys

California Department of Transportation

1727 30th Street, MS-35

Sacramento, CA. 95814

Office- 916-227-7328

Good Morning All,

I was just informed by my contact at Trimble Support that the United States Air Force is performing the largest GPS scrambling event in history for their Red Flag Air Wave Exercise. This may have some adverse effects on GPS signals across a large part of the western US. The exercise has already begun and will run from January 26, 2018 until February 16, 2018. According to the article (see link below to access the full article) this may even effect some air traffic in some western airports..

For field users, please be mindful of your residuals and do regular checks into known positions while performing RTK surveys. In addition when performing static surveys, longer data collection times may be necessary to produce the desired accuracies..

There should be limited effects on post processed data, but for any data sets collected during this time frame just be aware of the signal jamming..