Tools not working correctly.

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 10:19:52 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
Hi! I'm using ArcMap 10.8 and I just installed the WhiteBox Tools following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFZ6u9cYoQ&t=379s&ab_channel=WiseGIS and the tools appear in ArcMap and I can open them, but when I try to use them it "performs" the action that it needs to do but no output is given. For example, I'm trying to run the Pennock Landform Class tool on a DEM and I pass the DEM as the Input value and for the Output Value I put the location (C:\Users\darel\OneDrive\Documents\ArcGIS\ArcMap_Folder\pen_lfm.tif) but when I run it no file named "pen_lfm.tif" appears in the folder.

whiteboxgeo

Jul 8, 2022, 10:25:16 AM7/8/22
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Darell,

I'm sorry, while I'm the developer of WhiteboxTools, I actually don't ever really use ArcGIS. I tend to interact with WBT through either the WhiteboxTools Runner (see user manual),  QGIS, or Python. Perhaps someone else on the list serve who uses ArcGIS more regularly, or Dr. Wu, who maintains the ArcGIS front-end, may be able to chime in here.

Regards,

John Lindsay

On 2022-07-08 10:19, Darell Arocho wrote:
Hi! I'm using ArcMap 10.8 and I just installed the WhiteBox Tools following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFZ6u9cYoQ&t=379s&ab_channel=WiseGIS and the tools appear in ArcMap and I can open them, but when I try to use them it "performs" the action that it needs to do but no output is given. For example, I'm trying to run the Pennock Landform Class tool on a DEM and I pass the DEM as the Input value and for the Output Value I put the location (C:\Users\darel\OneDrive\Documents\ArcGIS\ArcMap_Folder\pen_lfm.tif) but when I run it no file named "pen_lfm.tif" appears in the folder.  --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WhiteboxTools" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/whiteboxtools/d4df4ba9-074c-46b3-820d-368b31bc1183n%40googlegroups.com.

Qiusheng Wu

Jul 8, 2022, 10:25:53 AM7/8/22
to whiteboxgeo, WhiteboxTools
I believe you need a license to run the Pennock Landform tool. Other tools that do not need a license should work fine.

whiteboxgeo

Jul 8, 2022, 10:27:26 AM7/8/22
to Qiusheng Wu, WhiteboxTools

No, Qiusheng, the PennockLandformClassification tool is in the Whitebox Open-Core. You don't need a license.

Regards,

John

whiteboxgeo

Jul 8, 2022, 10:28:43 AM7/8/22
to Qiusheng Wu, WhiteboxTools

I think this must be an issue with the ArcGIS front-end because I can confirm that running the tool directly from WBT results in an output image being created.

Qiusheng Wu

Jul 8, 2022, 10:29:10 AM7/8/22
to whiteboxgeo, WhiteboxTools
Thanks for clarifying. Darren, can you share the tool message after running the tools?

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 10:41:03 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
No message pops up after the tool is ran. Here's an image of what happens. I double click the tool from the ArcToolBox and pass in the parameters.
WBT_Parameters.png
Results.png

As you can see the little pop up in the down-right corner appears as if it has processed correctly but there's no file in my folder.

whiteboxgeo

Jul 8, 2022, 10:46:07 AM7/8/22
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com

But are there any outputs while the tool runs? There should be, for example, notices about progress and elapsed time, etc. Everyone of the tools does this. I would suggest that you try running the tool in the WhiteboxTools Runner and see if it produces your output. If it does, then we can confirm that the issue lies in the ArcGIS frontend instead. The Runner is simply a Python script that is distributed with WhiteboxTools and lives inside your WBT folder. Simply cd to your WBT folder in your terminal and type: python3 wb_runner.py. You should then see a simple Python GUI open up and there will be a listing of all of the available tool in WBT on the lefthand side. You can find the Pennock tool and run it from there.

Regards,

John Lindsay

Qiusheng Wu

Jul 8, 2022, 10:50:06 AM7/8/22
to whiteboxgeo, WhiteboxTools
Go to Geoprocessing -- Results - Select the tool you ran to see the output.

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 10:54:07 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
So I went into GeoProcessing > Results and this is what pops up. Apparently there is an output created but I can't double click it or drag it to open it in ArcMap.
Results through GeoProcessing.PNG

Qiusheng Wu

Jul 8, 2022, 11:02:01 AM7/8/22
to Darell Arocho, WhiteboxTools
Please show the full line "thread panicked at 'The GeoTIFF ...'". It is likely your GeoTIFF problem.

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 11:04:02 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
The full error says:
thread 'main' panicked at 'The GeoTIFF reader does not currently support floating-point predictors (PREDICTOR=3).', whitebox-tools-app\src\main.rs:72:21

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 11:06:59 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
I'm trying to upload the .tif file to you, but the file size is too large, even zipped.

whiteboxgeo

Jul 8, 2022, 11:08:00 AM7/8/22
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com

Well there's your problem. You're using a GeoTIFF that uses floating-point predictors. You simply need to convert your input DEM GeoTIFF, perhaps using GDAL, so that it uses an alternative compression scheme, or not compression at all.

John

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 11:14:54 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
Is GDAL the only way to do this? I tried installing GDAL previously but since I'm on Windows I ran into several errors and wasn't able to successfully get it working.

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Jul 8, 2022, 11:16:43 AM7/8/22
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com

So, there's no need to upload your file any longer. We've figured out that you simply need to modify your input DEM. If I can give you a bit of advice about running the Pennock classification tool as well, it's highly sensitive to DEM noise because it uses slope and surface curvatures (profile and plan). And so it is often the case that the output classification will greatly benefit from a bit of smoothing first, particularly if you are dealing with a fine resolution lidar DEM, or an ifSAR DEM. For this, I would recommend using the FeaturePreservingSmoothing tool in WBT: https://www.whiteboxgeo.com/manual/wbt_book/available_tools/geomorphometric_analysis.html#FeaturePreservingSmoothing

Regards,

John

Whitebox Geospatial Inc

Jul 8, 2022, 11:19:21 AM7/8/22
to whiteb...@googlegroups.com

I shouldn't think it's the only way you can modify a GeoTIFF's compression format. It's the way that I use, and I think a good chuck of the geospatial community use GDAL for this type of thing. But I'm sure that ArcGIS has something in place, some setting, for doing a similar thing. Again, I don't use Arc regularly.

Regards,

John

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 11:41:30 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
Understood. Thank you for all the help!

Qiusheng Wu

Jul 8, 2022, 11:43:00 AM7/8/22
to Darell Arocho, WhiteboxTools
You can export the GeoTIFF using ArcGIS. Do not select a compression method.

Darell Arocho

Jul 8, 2022, 11:44:12 AM7/8/22
to WhiteboxTools
How do I do that?