avoiding collisions

Paul Grudgen

May 9, 2022, 1:29:31 PM5/9/22
to WesternM...@googlegroups.com
    this past friday night in the silver division , there was a collision between a runner going from 2nd to 3rd and the 3rd baseman . i discussed this with both coaches ,players from both teams and most importantly the home plate umpire. i took this information and talked to our rules committee , myself , james quinlan and jim chouinard. we agree with the decision to call the runner out. the most important issue is player safety over everything else , cant have broken bones ,contusions , concussions etc. you have 2 choices as a runner when going to a bag when a play is being made , slide or give youself up as an out. again player safety is of the utmost importance , most of the silver players still work and cant afford to miss work because they were hurt at a recreational softball game due to an avoidable situation. our ruling is dock hollywood 20 jose heroes 19.

Ted Chmura III

May 9, 2022, 2:00:13 PM5/9/22
to Relics Player Ideas
In case it's helpful, here's a snippet from The Rules:

8.7(4) • AVOIDING COLLISIONS

A runner must make every effort to avoid colliding with opposing players while running the bases or sliding or diving. If in the umpire's judgment a runner misses a base to avoid a collision, the runner will not be called out. If in the umpire’s judgment the runner fails to avoid a collision with a defensive player involved in the play, the ball will be declared dead and that runner called out. All base runners except the batter will be returned to their previous base unless forced to advance. If in the umpire’s judgment the runner's collision with the defensive player involved in the play negates a double play, the umpire may award a second out.

===

Ted Chmura / Webmaster

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM 'Paul Grudgen' via Western Mass Relics <westernm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Dave

May 9, 2022, 4:38:58 PM5/9/22
to westernm...@googlegroups.com
Well done Paul for your diligence in getting the facts and using your committee.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave

May 11, 2022, 7:07:17 AM5/11/22
to westernm...@googlegroups.com
Well done Paul and com

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Ringler

May 11, 2022, 8:44:18 AM5/11/22
to Western Mass Relics
Hey Relics.
I appreciate the thoughtfulness about preventing injuries.  I want to express a concern - the number 1 cause of injuries is going to be the double headers.  Last night we had about 5 players pull up injured in game two - and that's just one team.
I realize that I'm new to the league, but I'm just not sure the double headers give us anything that one 7, or 9 inning game gives us.

Your thoughts?

hwood24be

May 11, 2022, 9:14:01 AM5/11/22
to Western Mass Relics
agreed

Dave

May 11, 2022, 12:31:53 PM5/11/22
to westernm...@googlegroups.com
We've been doing double headers for years without an issue

Sent from my iPhone

On May 11, 2022, at 9:14 AM, 'hwood24be' via Western Mass Relics <westernm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

agreed