N/A / unavailable wind data

mrbalky

Sep 30, 2019, 9:19:20 AM9/30/19
to weewx-user
Howdy,

VantagePro2 wireless, console connected via USB to a RPi running WeeWX 3.9.2. WeeWX is logging to MySQL on a separate machine.

I have been having what I think is a problem with unavailable wind data.

The data logging packets are showing "windDir: None", which results in the current conditions on the generated HTML showing as "Wind 0 mph N/A ( N/A)", and my PWS page on wunderground showing wind data as "unavailable".

The archive rows have NULLs in the windDir column.

I've had this VP2 for about 18 months, and haven't noticed this before, and have been presuming this to be a new anemometer/cabling/transmitter issue. But I do not find any rows in the archive database where windSpeed is 0 and windDir is not NULL. Unfortunately, my server died a month or so ago, and I lost all archive data prior to that.

Now, with a wind speed of 0, a direction of None does make some sense, but it seems that N/A and Unavaliable do not. Is this expected WeeWX behavior and I've just been chasing a non-existent hardware issue?

TIA,
Charlie

Thomas Keffer

Sep 30, 2019, 9:23:36 AM9/30/19
to weewx-user
See the section There is no wind direction when wind speed is zero in the User's Guide.

-tk

mrbalky

Sep 30, 2019, 9:36:34 AM9/30/19
to weewx-user
Simple answer: RTFM.

My apologies!

Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 6:19 AM mrbalky <cew...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Pat

Sep 30, 2019, 2:43:58 PM9/30/19
to weewx-user
What does your console show? I've had my VP2 for about 18 months as well and my wind vane died on me. Reported windDir 0 for majority of they day, but wasn't constantly at 0. Davis sent me a test cable to test the ISS. I ended up paying for a replacement anemometer/wind vane unit. If you find that your console is also showing bad wind data, then it may not be weewx's fault.

mrbalky

Oct 2, 2019, 8:33:11 AM10/2/19
to weewx-user
Since changing that setting, it's definitely gotten better, but I am still getting occasional windDir of None. It's hard to catch it in the act. I am not entirely sure what my console shows, but the weewx data is not showing a windDir of 0. I have a Nagios check on it now and might be able to see the console one of these times.

I ran weewx with debug level at 2 and weewxd in a screen to capture all the logging I can. I don't fully understand the weewx logging just yet, but am digging in.

Andrew Milner

Oct 2, 2019, 9:30:13 AM10/2/19
to weewx-user
what shows none - a loop packet or a rec packet?  what really matters are the rec packets as they go into the database - the loop packets do not.

what does the archive contain?

what happens at WU is not really a topic for this forum as they are in a world unto themselves!!!!!

mrbalky

Oct 2, 2019, 1:35:53 PM10/2/19
to weewx-user

LOOP packet windGustDir transitions to None, which appears to make a subsequent REC packet windDir transition to None. As you point out, this causes the NULL in the database and update to wunderground to omit winddir.

I'm attaching a snippet of packets.

Poking around in the code a bit just for fun.
packets.txt