Belchertown skin 1.0 released!

Pat

Jun 1, 2019, 12:57:56 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Belchertown skin 1.0 is released!

This update contains a lot of updates and changes including an entire rewrite of the Highcharts system which allows you to make almost any graph you want for almost any time span you want. You can see some examples of the charts you can make on the BelchertownWeather.com website graphs page.

You can add/remove/change/reorder any chart, change colors, add observation plots, categorize for all time. Almost anything you want to do is available! The skin comes with the standard 4 charts ready to go, but there's extensive Belchertown Charts Documentation which can help you get started.

In addition to the Charts there's now a dark mode (which has an auto-switching mode based on sunset/sunrise), more flexibility for translations, user customized station observation table which is updated in real time if the MQTT Websockets are enabled, and a lot more. Check the release notes for all the details!

You can download the latest release here, and read all of the details on the changes here: https://github.com/poblabs/weewx-belchertown/releases

Note: You cannot upgrade from Belchertown 0.9 and older. You must uninstall everything and reinstall new. This is due to the Chart system being fully rewritten and the potential for conflicts. Please read this upgrade guide if you are upgrading from an older version of Belchertown skin

Thanks to all the beta testers and translators over the last couple of months help me iron out all the kinks and shape the skin in a way that can be translated a little easier!

Attached are some examples of the charts that can be made. If you find any issues, you can reply here or open an issue on the Belchertown skin GitHub page
belchertown1-0graphs.jpg

Steve2Q

Jun 1, 2019, 1:41:26 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Pat. First, congratulations on all of the hard work you (and the beta testers) have been doing to implement this addition to Weewx. I have been following the progress (as a lurker!) from the beginning, and it looks like 1.0 is ready for prime time. I have two questions;

1. I see that there cannot be a trailing / in the website address. Mine is currently xxx.org/Weather. Do I have to restructure the site, or will 1.0 just put the proper files in the root directory?

2. Do you or any of the testers know if 1.0 will still allow the Steel Series gauges to work?

Thanks, Steve

Pat

Jun 1, 2019, 1:48:56 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Steve!

1. This sounds somewhat familiar to me from an old issue about trailing slashes. But that issue was relating to the web server and its configuration for port forwarding. I was able to replicate it here. I wonder if that's what's happening with you? I have 2 instances of Belchertown installed. 1 is on belchertownweather.com, and the other is in a subfolder on a virtual machine - e.g. weewxlab/belchertown/ and the trailing slash works fine (even works on this url too https://belchertownweather.com/graphs/ ). We might need to dig into this one a bit more if it's a problem for you.

2. Good question - I've never used the Steel Series gauges and I'm not sure if anyone's ever tested that with the skin.

vince

Jun 1, 2019, 2:06:40 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 9:57:56 AM UTC-7, Pat wrote:
Belchertown skin 1.0 is released!

This update contains a lot of updates and changes including an entire rewrite of the Highcharts system which allows you to make almost any graph you want for almost any time span you want. You can see some examples of the charts you can make on the BelchertownWeather.com website graphs page.

I've been kinda holding off on digging much into this one til you got the gory details all worked out, but in brief - WOW.
Very cool. Very very cool.

Time to see if I can get this working with my WeatherFlow station.....

vince

Jun 1, 2019, 3:14:39 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 11:06:40 AM UTC-7, vince wrote:
I've been kinda holding off on digging much into this one til you got the gory details all worked out, but in brief - WOW.
Very cool. Very very cool.

Time to see if I can get this working with my WeatherFlow station.....

Pat - got it running reasonably quickly in vagrant using the simulator driver, but the docs confused the heck out of me. I also had a lot of issues we've talked about previously with trying to run on an alternate webserver port and also trying to run it as a non-default skin in a subdirectory.  I'll try to put some details together and email you offline this weekend rather hthan clutter up the list with a bunch of back+forth.

But it sure is pretty as the default skin !!!

I can see this one on my wall with an unused phone or tablet for sure.....sooo nice looking....

Steve2Q

Jun 1, 2019, 7:34:18 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Pat..I have not installed it yet. I am gathering as much info as I can before making the plunge.

Steve

Pat

Jun 1, 2019, 7:34:56 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Thanks vince! I tried to check as many boxes as I could - the chart generator seemed to take up a lot of my focus. I'm certainly not a documentation expert so I tried to capture a lot of the high level items. Phil helped as well but the Chart documentation certainly needs some cleanup. Hopefully through the example charts it'll become clearer. The whole generator is based off the ImageGenerator from Standard/Seasons - so it should be a familiar config at it's very basic level. Instead of generating images, it generates JSON that Highcharts can use.

I have tested mine running as a non-default skin in a subdirectory on my Ubuntu VM (that's how I've always developed it) and it's working for me. Curious to know more about your setup (you may have told me but I forgot). And I think the alternate webserver port may be related to Steve's #1 item above - port forwarding and the origin getting passed through the web server? Yeah, summarize in an email and I'll see if I (or we?) can chip away at it. There's a lot of JS and jQuery so I wonder if some of it is a CORS block - or an http/https "not everything is secure" block?

The Dark Mode on a tablet looks pretty awesome!

Pat

Jun 1, 2019, 7:36:11 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
No problem. Since it's just a report and doesn't alter your database you can take the plunge with minimal risk. It'll be there when you're ready!

vince

Jun 1, 2019, 10:04:19 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Pat - this thing has a lot of moving parts.  One thing that would help (me) is a known-good minimal example with forecast/earthquake/highcharts/mqtt-realtime all working after a little light editing to set the urls etc. to match our site.   There are so many places where we're assumed to know how to set the configurable items correctly.  It's not totally obvious if you haven't been there before.

I'm basically stuck at 'Connected. Waiting for data.' although in some of my many stop/edit/restart iterations it seemed like it was getting data, although the screens never updated with changed data.   Setting belchertown_debug did nothing that I could tell, although I don't know where it writes debugging stuff so I might not have been looking in the right place.

Here's what I have for snippets of the pieces.  All software runs on the same host.

Should these work as-is and have realtime data working etc. ????

I've omitted my DarkSky api key below (of course), but that part worked fine.
It's the realtime stuff that doesn't seem to be working as far as I can tell....

#------------------------------------------
#
# /etc/mosquitto/conf.d/highcharts.conf
     #
     #     mosquitto 'is' listening on both ports sayeth netstat
     #

listener 1883
protocol mqtt

listener 9001
protocol websockets

#------------------------------------------
#
# weewx.conf MQTT extension section
     #
     # not sure server_url below is correct for websockets

[[MQTT]]
    #---- MQTT broker URL to publish to
    server_url = mqtt://localhost:8813
         # server_url = wss://localhost:9001    <== or should it be this ?

    #---- MQTT topic to publish to
    topic = weather

    #---- make sure you bind to 'archive, loop' with aggregation
    binding = archive, loop
    aggregation = aggregate

#------------------------------------------
#
# weewx.conf Belchertown section
#

[[Belchertown]]
    HTML_ROOT = public_html
    skin = Belchertown

    [[[Extras]]]

        #--------------- General Options -----------------------------------------

        #--- debugging this skin (optional)
        belchertown_debug = 1                                   # default = 1

        #---- root_url for this skin (mandatory)
        belchertown_root_url = http://localhost                 # no trailing slash

        #---- HighCharts (optional)
        highcharts_enabled = 1                                  # default = 0

        #--------------- MQTT Websockets (optional) -------------------------------

        mqtt_websockets_enabled = 1                             # default = 0
        mqtt_websockets_host = localhost                        # default = ""
        mqtt_websockets_port = 9001                             # default = 8080
        mqtt_websockets_topic = "weather"                       # default = ""

        #--------------- Forecast Options (optional) ------------------------------

        forecast_enabled = 1                                    # default = 0
        darksky_secret_key = 12345678901234567890123456789012   # default = ""

        #--------------- Earthquake Options (optional) ----------------------------
        earthquake_enabled = 1                                  # default = 0

Pat

Jun 1, 2019, 10:25:05 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Vince, some thoughts on your config:

  • Looks good, I like the layout and the commentary.
  • Is your [[MQTT]] Broker really on port 8813, or is that a typo for 1883?
  • Set your mqtt_websockets_topic to weather/loop
    • This is because weewx-mqtt will publish loop data to the topic {[[MQTT]].topic}/loop
------------------------

For others who may happen upon here from Google, some brief explanations.

Out of the box the skin has 4 Highcharts examples that are working with basic charts from the database. Some of the other configs are disabled on purpose since they're optional.

To enable forecasts for a baseline config you'll need a free DarkSky API key, and the following Extras config:

            forecast_enabled = 1
            darksky_secret_key
= SECRET_KEY_HERE

To enable earthquake data as a baseline config, add the following Extras config

            earthquake_enabled = 1

MQTT Websockets have always been optional because I think the skin should work as a basic skin out of the box (and there's a slight learning curve to MQTT and MQTT Websockets). Having a working MQTT broker with Websockets enabled is sort-of out of the scope of the skin's documentation, but I cover a small how-to on my blog if you want to host your own. There's free public brokers as well.

You also need the weewx-mqtt extension installed and working (also a bit outside the scope of the skin's documentation since that's mwall's extension). My config is below as a reference.

To enable the skin's MQTT Websockets as a baseline config, add the following Extras config:

            mqtt_websockets_enabled = 1
            mqtt_websockets_host
= YOUR_HOST
            mqtt_websockets_port
= 9001 (OR WHATEVER YOUR BROKER WEBSOCKETS PORT IS)
            mqtt_websockets_ssl
= 0 (IF YOU ARE USING SSL, THEN SET TO 1)
            mqtt_websockets_topic
= weather/loop (SET TO YOUR TOPIC'S /LOOP TOPIC)

-------

Here's my weewx-mqtt configuration from weewx.conf:

    [[MQTT]]
        server_url
= mqtt://mybroker:1883/
        topic
= weather
        unit_system
= US
        binding
= archive, loop
        aggregation
= aggregate

To test that your MQTT Websockets are working (and it's not a skin problem), you can use this tool which will try to connect to your MQTT Broker. Once connected, subscribe to your topic (e.g. weather/loop) and you shoul dsee data flowing in. If this tool fails then re-check your weewx-mqtt config and/or your broker settings.

Remember, if you are hosting your own Mosquitto it is VERY picky. Any rogue spacing at the end of the line or any spaces in empty lines will all cause it to fail. Also I've found quirky situations where a reboot is the only way to "fix" Mosquitto.

rich T

Jun 1, 2019, 10:26:19 PM6/1/19
to weewx-user
Vince

Here is what I have, V1.0 is only running over the LAN.

Weewx Config

[[MQTT]]
        server_url = http://name:password@IP address:1883/
        topic = weather    #
        unit_system = US
        binding = archive, loop
        aggregation = aggregate
        log_success = false
        log_failure = true

[[Belchertown]]
        skin = Belchertown
        HTML_ROOT = public_html
        enable = true

        [[[Extras]]]
            belchertown_root_url = http://IP Address/weewx
            forecast_enabled = 1
            darksky_secret_key = 1234431234665565
            earthquake_enabled = 1

Belchertown skin conf:

# MQTT Websockets defaults
    mqtt_websockets_enabled = 1
    mqtt_websockets_host = IP Address
    mqtt_websockets_port = 9001
    mqtt_websockets_ssl = 0
    mqtt_websockets_topic = "weather/loop"
    disconnect_live_website_visitor = 0

vince

Jun 2, 2019, 1:41:52 PM6/2/19
to weewx-user
yes - 8813 was of course a typo in my post, I'm using the default 1883 for mosquitto which was fine all the time.

The problem was I didn't know what MQTT topic to subscribe Belchertown to.
Using weather/loop made it work.  Thanks.

(also - Rich's snippet that sets log_success = false for MQTT is really helpful, that'll quiet down the syslogs nicely)

Only issue I can find is the skin can't find anything other than the top-level page if you run the webserver on an alternate port, but that's just an issue for me using Vagrant and mapping ports.  Dunno if it will affect too many folks in reality.

Time to move this one to the pi3+ and watch some real data from the WeatherFlow.

Thanks !

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 3, 2019, 6:21:51 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user
Not quite sure what i have done wrong tbh - but ran through the upgrade instructions and weewx no longer seems to start?

status comes up with

Jun 03 11:14:51 weewx systemd[1]: Started LSB: weewx weather system.
Jun 03 11:14:51 weewx weewx[434]: engine: Error while parsing configuration file
Jun 03 11:14:51 weewx weewx[434]: **** Reason: 'Parsing failed with several e
First error at line 184.'

I know this is vague so any idea of where to start would be great...

Andy

Andrew Milner

Jun 3, 2019, 6:35:30 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user
I would start looking around line 184 of weewx.conf and see if you can spot the issue.  The error message is very precise - so start looking where the message tells you to look!!!!

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 3, 2019, 6:58:41 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user

Its in the StdReport section - line 184 is marked below with a star  - (?)

[StdReport]

    # Where the skins reside, relative to WEEWX_ROOT

    SKIN_ROOT = /etc/weewx/skins

    # Where the generated reports should go, relative to WEEWX_ROOT

    HTML_ROOT = /var/weewx/reports

*   # The database binding indicates which data should be used in reports.

    data_binding = wx_binding

    [[SeasonsReport]]

        # The SeasonsReport uses the 'Seasons' skin, which contains the

        # images, templates and plots for the report.

        skin = Seasons

        enable = false

Pat

Jun 3, 2019, 7:50:08 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user
Nothing else was listed in the syslog output? Based on what you have here it doesn't look like the skin is even running yet - so there's something else going on. Check your backup (hopefully you have one, I advised it in my instructions) and see if you deleted something by mistake?

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 3, 2019, 7:52:24 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user
Its an experimental set up and i think i must have deleted something tbh - not worried about the data though - would a fresh install make sense - if so is there an easy route to delete/reinstall?

Sorry!

Andy

Pat

Jun 3, 2019, 8:00:12 AM6/3/19
to weewx-user
To uninstall the skin you can run the wee_extension --uninstall Belchertown command. Then just look in your skins folder for anything left behind, and your bin/user folder for anything left behind. Then just a quick check of the weewx.conf for anything left behind. Then try again with the wee_extension --install command to reinstall it.

Though I'm not sure you need to go that route, nor reinstalling weewx either. If you don't have a backup of weewx.conf, you can compare yours to the base install one which can be found here. There's probably a line in StdReport or something that got removed by mistake.

Joe Santas

Jun 3, 2019, 1:23:04 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
Awesome release well done.  Quick question im up and running all good.  I have a Darksky key and have the 8 day forecasts showing but they are incorrect.  Im assuming a location issue.  Where can i change this?

Regards

vince

Jun 3, 2019, 2:23:24 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 10:23:04 AM UTC-7, Joe Santas wrote:
Awesome release well done.  Quick question im up and running all good.  I have a Darksky key and have the 8 day forecasts showing but they are incorrect.  Im assuming a location issue.  Where can i change this?

check your lat/lon in weewx.conf

Juan Antonio Mosquera

Jun 3, 2019, 2:35:12 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
Hi...

rare... i had 1.0 version... i update... and...

jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]: engine: Caught unrecoverable exception in engine:
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****  'StdConvert'
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****  Traceback (most recent call last):
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****    File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 884, in main
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****      engine = engine_class(config_dict)
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****    File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 78, in __init__
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****      self.loadServices(config_dict)
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****    File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 142, in loadServices
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****      self.service_obj.append(weeutil.weeutil._get_object(svc)(self, config_dict))
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****    File "/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 304, in __init__
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****      target_unit_nickname = config_dict['StdConvert']['target_unit']
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/configobj.py", line 554, in __getitem__
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****      val = dict.__getitem__(self, key)
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****  KeyError: 'StdConvert'
jun 03 20:30:43 meteomontaos weewx[4029]:     ****  Exiting.

what problem¿?

Juan Antonio Mosquera

Jun 3, 2019, 2:48:18 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
This problem is in weewx.conf....

installation crash this file.... backup is necesary!

Greetings.

Pat

Jun 3, 2019, 2:55:04 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
The installation of the skin shouldn't break weewx.conf. What was deleted from your weewx.conf?

Juan Antonio Mosquera

Jun 3, 2019, 2:59:45 PM6/3/19
to weewx-user
it is possible that a vim swap file was the cause.

sorry!
Message has been deleted

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 4, 2019, 5:48:19 AM6/4/19
to weewx-user
Just to say thanks for all the work - its an amazing skin.
I have it running now - although just wondering why i have two empty graphs (http://www.finchamweather.co.uk/weewx/) - i have configured 6 graphs as per the wiki but i seem to get two empty ones load, my conf is:

[homepage]
# Chart Timespan Defaults
title = "Homepage"
show_button = true
button_text = "Homepage"
time_length = today
tooltip_date_format = "LLL"
gapsize = 300000 # This should be your archive_interval from weewx.conf multiplied by 1000 to get milliseconds. Standard is 5 minutes

[[chart1]]
title = Temperature
[[[outTemp]]]
zIndex = 1
name = Temperature
[[[windchill]]]
[[[heatindex]]]
color = "#f7a35c"
[[[dewpoint]]]
color = purple

[[chart2]]
# The combined Wind Chart works best in this configuration
title = Wind Speed and Direction
yaxis_min = 0
[[[windDir]]]
zIndex = 1
yAxis = 1
yaxis_max = 360
lineWidth = 0
[[[[marker]]]]
enabled = true
[[[[states]]]]
[[[[[hover]]]]]
lineWidthPlus = 0
[[[windGust]]]
[[[windSpeed]]]
zIndex = 2
[[chart3]]
[[roseplt]]
title = Wind Rose
[[[windRose]]]

[[chart4]]
title = Rain
[[[rainRate]]]
yAxis = 1
[[[rainTotal]]]
name = Rain Total

[[chart5]]
title = Barometer
type = spline
[[[barometer]]]
color = "#BECC00"
yAxis_tickInterval = 0.01

[[chart6]]
[[solarRadGraph]]
title = Solar Radiation and UV Index
[[[radiation]]]
name = Solar Radiation
zIndex = 1
color = "#ffc83f"
[[[UV]]]
yAxis = 1
yaxis_min = 0
yaxis_max = 14
color = "#90ed7d"
y_label = "UV"
name = UV Index
zIndex = 2

Any thoughts would be great - Andy

Andrew Milner

Jun 4, 2019, 6:18:41 AM6/4/19
to weewx-user
you have got
[[chart3]]
[[roseplot]] - I think you need to remove one of them

and
[[chart6]]
[[solarRadGraph]] - same again

I think the issue is caused by a redundant line enclosed in 2 brackets

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 4, 2019, 6:36:21 AM6/4/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Andrew - that fixed it :) much appreciated,

Andy

Pat

Jun 4, 2019, 8:16:36 AM6/4/19
to weewx-user
Glad you got it sorted!

On another note, Highcharts released a new version last night which looks like there's a bug with the polar chart - aka wind rose. The grid lines are missing.

I'm planning on releasing skin 1.0.1 later this week which will revert Highcharts to a specific version which fixes the missing grid lines on the windrose.

Mike Harold Chan

Jun 5, 2019, 9:46:52 AM6/5/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
hello Sir Pat

can you do a video instructions of how to install that? I try to follow instructions you post at github, but when installed on my weewx files, it didnt show the graphs data, it shows the homepage and some digits but not the wind direction graphix, and the tabs, sorry I not much expert in linux, but Im happy that the graphs can be integrated from your own weather data instead of gathering from WU to create graph trends. TY

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 12:58 AM Pat <p...@obrienphoto.net> wrote:
[...]

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 9:52:32 AM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Hello. I won't have time for a video install in the near future. Perhaps others can help you in this thread though.

Do you see any errors in your Linux syslog? Is your website public that I can see for myself?

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 8:17:16 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Hi Andy post what you have fixed when you have a moment.  Bit confused with the reply.  I am seeing two blank charts.

Regards

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 8:20:12 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
I believe he had empty observations under his chart - no observations, no chart.

Post your config and we'll see if we can help.

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 8:27:00 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Config attached....  Thanking you..
config.txt

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 8:34:55 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Thanks. Little more detail? Which one is broken so I can focus in on it?

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 8:43:57 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Hi Pat link to my site....  http://jsantas.com/

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 8:46:48 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
You also had a few charts with no observations beneath (the ones with the double brackets, like the empty [[chart3]]). You can compare this one attached to the one you had to try and find the differences.

Attached is a graph set that worked for me.

Take a look at the Belchertown Chart Wiki - specifically this section here which explains the layout of the bracket config sections.
graphs.conf

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 10:18:16 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Hi Pat thanks for supplying the config.  In a rush i copied your config over.  "Here at work lol"  It has added some charts but i still have two blanks from what i can see.

Regards

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 10:29:57 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Try restarting weewx then wait for the archive interval to run, or run wee_reports.

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 10:44:37 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Tried it.  No change..

Regards

Pat

Jun 5, 2019, 10:47:08 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Please verify you used my changes. I can see you still have the same blank charts - especially the chart3 I mentioned before.

Joe Santas

Jun 5, 2019, 11:15:15 PM6/5/19
to weewx-user
Better just re applied must have been something i did.  Still missing one chart under today.  Solar UV i believe.  Shows up on the front page no problems.

Regards

Andy Hudson-Smith

Jun 6, 2019, 4:36:42 AM6/6/19
to weewx-user
It was the naming of my charts - my syntax had an extra [

All should be running now - http://www.finchamweather.co.uk/weewx/ very impressed with the skin.

I was also trying to get a lightning chart to work (I have a Weather Flow Station with a built-in Lightning Sensor) but understand Weewx does not log Lightning out of the box without an extension to the database so sadly i dont have the data for the chart (this was coming up blank).

I thought it would be nice to see Lightning count for the day under the observations but not quite sure where to start...

Andy

Pat

Jun 6, 2019, 6:50:19 AM6/6/19
to weewx-user
Hi Andy, you're correct - the data should ideally be in the weewx database for the charts. There might be some work around though - is the data in any database your weewx would have access to? I haven't tested charting data in other databases so this would need to be tested and documented, but I think in theory its possible.

Joe Santas

Jun 6, 2019, 8:30:01 AM6/6/19
to weewx-user
Apologies Pat was at work when i was trying to fix this via my remote viewer.
Can you take a look at the following http://jsantas.com/graphs/  One chart is empty everything else is in order as far as i can see.
I used your config file earlier in the day and it straightened things out apart from this one chart.
If you need anything further let me know.

Regards

Pat

Jun 6, 2019, 3:08:31 PM6/6/19
to weewx-user
I'm lost. I don't see a blank graph. You didn't specify which graph section was giving you a problem. I just don't have the details to help further right now. I saw earlier you were running Seasons, now you're back on Belchertown - so I assume you may have fixed what was wrong.

Joe Santas

Jun 6, 2019, 3:44:50 PM6/6/19
to weewx-user
Looks like it only happens when i add the rose on the today (day) section.  Tried different ways and it keeps popping up.  I have it removed for the moment.

Pat

Jun 6, 2019, 4:13:09 PM6/6/19
to weewx-user
I see. So if we break it down to keep it simple, go back to the graphs.conf.example file that comes with the skin. Then under the [homepage] group, add in the wind rose example code from the wiki. The code is this simple:

[[roseplt]]
    title = Wind Rose
    [[[windRose]]]

The number of brackets is important. This defines the nesting of the configuration. The single brackets are the top layer, then the doulbe brakets are the chart definition, and the triple brackets are the observations.  You also cannot have duplicate names within the brackets.

So to add a the windrose chart, we give it a name of roseplt, this is because it is in the double brackets.

Then beneath that is the triple bracket of windRose which is the observation to chart.

The full config for [homepage] from the example conf with the added windrose will look like this.

Note that the wind rose is at the end. If you want to move it, you can - just make sure you do not put a double bracket under a triple bracket.

Also, the double brackets must have a triple bracket beneath it - otherwise you'll have an empty chart (like you saw last night).

Any settings beneath a triple bracket are settings that apply to the observation only (the triple bracket observation)

I hope this helps. The Belchertown Charts Wiki has a lot of great information and I think it's worth some time to check out the examples within!

  title
= Rain

[[[rainRate]]]
   yAxis
= 1

[[[rainTotal]]]
   name
= Rain Total

[[chart4]]

  title
= Barometer
  type
= spline

[[[barometer]]]
   color
= "#BECC00"
   yAxis_tickInterval
= 0.01

[[roseplt]]
    title
= Wind Rose

[[[windRose]]]

Joe Santas

Jun 6, 2019, 7:25:36 PM6/6/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Pat for the clarity.  I will look at the wiki again and have a further play...  Apologies for all the questions...

Pat

Jun 6, 2019, 7:40:28 PM6/6/19
to weewx-user
The questions aren't a problem, I just didn't have enough detail to provide a good enough answer. Hopefully that helps you out.

Adnan Mumtaz

Jun 8, 2019, 12:37:21 AM6/8/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

Superb looking skin, thanks a lot Pat. I was able to upgrade it, everything is working fine except for some reason the following are not appearing on the main page

Visibility
Cloud Base
UV Index
Radiation

Colin Larsen

Jun 8, 2019, 1:08:12 AM6/8/19
to weewx-user
Adnan, look for a line in your skin.conf/weewx.conf (depending on where you have things specified) like this one. Add observations in the order that you like to see them

station_observations = barometer, dewpoint, outHumidity, cloudbase, rainWithRainRate, UV, radiation

Adnan Mumtaz

Jun 8, 2019, 1:32:00 AM6/8/19
to weewx-user
Thanks a lot Colin, it worked.

Colin Larsen

Jun 8, 2019, 1:50:08 AM6/8/19
to weewx-user
Happy to help - it's pretty warm there!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/4ad77290-4ebf-41a8-bcff-791a895857ac%40googlegroups.com.

Adnan Mumtaz

Jun 8, 2019, 5:57:53 PM6/8/19
to weewx-user
Yes very warm :/ in the coming weeks we can grill burgers on our cars :)  Isn't it like Arizona?

Chris P

Jun 9, 2019, 11:52:00 AM6/9/19
to weewx-user
Using the default graph.conf.example and none of my highchart lines are showing up.  However the wind direction point plots are.  Anybody run across this issue yet?

Pat O'Brien

Jun 9, 2019, 11:55:19 AM6/9/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Yes, your archive interval isn't 300 which is the default gapsize for the charts..

So you will need to change the gapsize setting in the graphs.conf.example (or graphs.conf) to match your weewx.conf archive_interval in milliseconds.

Sent from mobile

Chris Plant

Jun 9, 2019, 12:23:54 PM6/9/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
That was it. Thanks Pat! Love the skin.

Chris Plant
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Pat

Jun 9, 2019, 2:48:54 PM6/9/19
to weewx-user
All, version 1.0.1 has been released. This is a bug fix and maintenance update.

Work on 1.1 has already begun!

Johannes Ebner

Jun 10, 2019, 2:06:33 AM6/10/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

If  I have already the dev code running, can I do a normal upgrade?

Belchertown       1.0rc8.1

Br,
Johannes

Pat

Jun 10, 2019, 8:05:04 AM6/10/19
to weewx-user
Yes you can either download the tar.gz and copy the files into place, or run the wee_extension install. Just have a backup of your skin.conf since new version has new things added to it.

Adnan Mumtaz

Jun 11, 2019, 9:59:57 AM6/11/19
to weewx-user
Hi Pat,

I am at v1.0, in order to upgrade to 1.0.1 will i have to remove it completely and re-install like I did for 1.0?

Thanks
Adnan

Pat

Jun 11, 2019, 10:05:02 AM6/11/19
to weewx-user
If you are on 1.0, then you can upgrade to 1.0.1+ easily.

The special instructions were only for 0.9.1 and older.

Maarten van der Hoeven

Jun 14, 2019, 2:46:46 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

Thanks for the skin 1.0. Running without a flaw, and looking nice :)

One question... I am using a second temperature sensor (temperature on the grass, 10cm above the surface), data is stored in the database as extraTemp1. What I understood from the wiki-chart, it should not be a problem to plot this value (simply mention the database-field to plot). However, I also want to show he value of this field on the webpage.

What would be the correct and logical way to get this done? Although I can hack around a bit and get it done, I  am wondering if there is a more sophisticated approach to hook up this sensor-data in the data-stream and to show it on the webpage. Or is all data already available in the data-stream (MQTT), and is the question only how to show this value at the website...

Thanks.

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 2:59:11 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Maarten

I think you may be able to add your extraTemp1 into this section below in skin.conf/weewx.conf (depending on where you have the [Extras] stanza). Give it a try, I'm sure Pat will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise you may need to use one of the custom content areas as described in the Wiki. Let us know how you get on :)

# Station Observations. Special observation rainWithRainRate combines Daily Rain with Rain Rate in 1 line station_observations = "barometer", "dewpoint", "outHumidity", "rainWithRainRate

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 3:00:04 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Sorry, that formatted horribly I think - it's actually just on 2 lines of code

Maarten van der Hoeven

Jun 14, 2019, 3:15:51 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user

How cool is that! This is all too easy 😊

Adding “extraTemp1” at the end of the mentioned line (in skin.conf) did already the trick.

Barometer          1014.2 mbar

Dew Point           13.8 °C

Humidity             88%

Rain                   0.0 mm  0.0 mm/hr

Temperature1    16.1 °C

Amazing 😊 Now to find out where to change the label Temperature1 into something else (Temp grass or something alike).

Thanks for your help Colin.Op vrijdag 14 juni 2019 09:00:04 UTC+2 schreef Colin Larsen:
Sorry, that formatted horribly I think - it's actually just on 2 lines of code

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 3:30:45 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Excellent! And yes I'm 99% sure that Temperature1 can be changed in either skin.conf or Weewx.conf. Don't forget to get all of your config settings into weewx.conf so they don't get overwritten by an update to skin.conf. Again it's in the Wiki. Let me go and look for that setting to change :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/f2aaef34-3fe2-46a0-bb71-47b1d39cea6f%40googlegroups.com.

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 3:33:25 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
This is it I think, add your desired label in here

[Labels]
# Labels used in this skin
[[Generic]]
# Generic labels, keyed by an observation type.
# To change a label or translate it to your language
# change the text after the equal sign.
# Extra Observation labels
appTemp = Apparent Temperature
cloudbase = Cloud Base
visibility = Visibility
windrun = Wind Run

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 3:36:28 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Probably just extraTemp1 = Grass Temperature or whatever you need

Maarten van der Hoeven

Jun 14, 2019, 4:17:23 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Thanks again Colin! I did a quick change, but didnt see the label being changed at the website. Must have been doing something wrong, as being in a hurry, work is calling. Will check this evening, and will also read the wiki... As I understand correctly, there's pretty much howto's written down how about howto's :)  Will follow up later today.

Op vrijdag 14 juni 2019 09:36:28 UTC+2 schreef Colin Larsen:
Probably just extraTemp1 = Grass Temperature or whatever you need

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 4:20:05 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
I think it would need a Weewx restart, again hopefully Pat can confirm I have the right spot.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/9b7350d9-fdba-4e33-9eb3-0b6b416bbc7f%40googlegroups.com.

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 5:03:11 AM6/14/19
to weewx-user
I did a test on my system and that label definitely works :)

Maarten van der Hoeven

Jun 14, 2019, 4:08:41 PM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Back home, and now with full focus. All is working now! I have put everything in weewx.conf, nothing left in skin.conf

Very cool

Op vrijdag 14 juni 2019 11:03:11 UTC+2 schreef Colin Larsen:
I did a test on my system and that label definitely works :)

Colin Larsen

Jun 14, 2019, 4:47:18 PM6/14/19
to weewx-user
Great news :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/a243d9ea-4974-457f-9b8a-34cf6fa3c03c%40googlegroups.com.

Praveen Chandrasekaran

Jun 17, 2019, 8:43:44 AM6/17/19
to weewx-user
Great skin with great charting options. Can someone post a snapshot of how the web app looks like when added to homescreen. My biggest concern is that I have to scroll up/down on mobile to even see the default graphs. In seasons skin, I dont need to do any scrolling to see the entire page.
Great news :)

Pat

Jun 17, 2019, 10:29:40 AM6/17/19
to weewx-user
You can add belchertownweather.com to your homescreen to get the full experience.

Patrick Tranchant

Jun 17, 2019, 2:41:48 PM6/17/19
to weewx-user
hello Pat
I installed the 1.1b3 version of skin "Belchertown"; it's works very good.
good job

Patrick

Patrick Tranchant

Jun 17, 2019, 2:45:04 PM6/17/19
to weewx-user
just a question PAT, I didn't find the translation for "Average Wind", in which file ?
I don't remenber that I done for the old version.

Patrick

Patrick Tranchant

Jun 18, 2019, 2:17:39 PM6/18/19
to weewx-user
hi all

it's good , I found, it is OK now for Average Wind = Vent moyen
Patrick

Ralf B

Jun 26, 2019, 6:43:01 AM6/26/19
to weewx-user
Hello

a question about WindRoses. I know this here

but where can i translate the wind-direction, e-g NNE to NNO

East (english) to Ost (german)

regard
Message has been deleted

Pat

Jun 26, 2019, 7:53:57 AM6/26/19
to weewx-user
Edit: for clarity. You can change the directions variable in weewx.conf to translate those to German. For other translations, look under Labels in skin.conf or weewx.conf to translate those as well.

Wiggytoo

Jun 26, 2019, 10:37:05 AM6/26/19
to weewx-user
Hi Pat - thanks for this, I finally upgraded [upgrade guide was spot on] and the results can be seen here.

It took me a while to realise that some text is now in [labels] - the Skin Options example in the section of the help still refers to them as part of Extras, see below.

I have not yet looked at the new charts, but this is the next task as the new ones look very good.

By the  way, how did you mask you Site Logo to show black or white with the light and dark theme?

Many thanks,
Gavin

[StdReport]
    [[Belchertown]]
        skin = Belchertown
        HTML_ROOT = belchertown
        [[[Extras]]]
            belchertown_root_url = "https://belchertownweather.com"
            logo_image = "https://belchertownweather.com/images/content/btownwx-logo-slim.png"
            footer_copyright_text = "BelchertownWeather.com"
            forecast_enabled = 1
            darksky_secret_key = "your_key"
            earthquake_enabled = 1
            twitter_enabled = 1

Pat

Jun 26, 2019, 12:55:47 PM6/26/19
to weewx-user
My site logo is actually the same logo for both light/dark. It has a transparent background and a 2px white stroke around the outside of the state and 2px white stroke at 75% opacity around the text. I found that helps pop it out more on the dark theme.

Gavin Anderson

Jun 26, 2019, 1:10:23 PM6/26/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks.

Gavin

Ralf B

Jun 27, 2019, 2:05:01 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
hello,

a small question. i need to add some new pages.
for this, i want to copy the
/about/index.html to (e.g)
/new1index.html
/new2/index.html
and edit them after copy.

is there a description which files i need to edit?

Pat

Jun 27, 2019, 7:57:23 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
Adding new pages is a manual process and not well documented. It will go something like this:

1. Create your page. You can use the about/index.html.tmpl as a good blank template to begin.
2. Add it to the navigation menu inside header.html.tmpl
3. Add it to skin.conf under CheetahGenerator

Please note, if you upgrade the skin using wee_extension --install, the skin.conf and header.html.tmpl files will get overwritten. So you'll either need to do manual upgrades, or be prepared to re-add your custom settings.

Ralf B

Jun 27, 2019, 8:19:00 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
thx, hope you mean this part.....

header.html.tmpl:
                                    <ul id="menu-menu" class="menu genesis-nav-menu">
                                       <!-- class = current-menu-item -->
                                       #if $Extras.has_key('highcharts_enabled') and $Extras.highcharts_enabled == '1'
                                       #end if

                                       #if $Extras.has_key('theme_toggle_enabled') and $Extras.theme_toggle_enabled == '1'
                                       <label class="themeSwitchLabel">
                                           <input type="checkbox" id="themeSwitch" $themeSwitchChecked>
                                       </label>
                                       #end if
                                   </ul>

skin.conf
        [[[reports]]]
           template = reports/index.html.tmpl

        [[[newpage_1]]]
           template = newpage_1/index.html.tmpl

this is enough?

Pat

Jun 27, 2019, 8:30:49 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
Yes at quick glance, that looks good. Any changes to skin.conf require a weewx restart, so you may not see anything new until you've done that. Then it's a matter of looking in the syslog for any errors.

Thomas Keffer

Jun 27, 2019, 9:49:18 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
Changes in skin.conf do not require a restart. It is read in with every reporting cycle.

Unless your custom reporting service is doing something different...

Pat

Jun 27, 2019, 9:56:23 AM6/27/19
to weewx-user
Thanks for the clarification. (and no, nothing different or special).

Ralf B

Jun 28, 2019, 4:53:34 PM6/28/19
to weewx-user
is this right here? why is the sum of all values not 100% ?

windrose.png

Pat

Jun 28, 2019, 5:29:13 PM6/28/19
to weewx-user
Yes, you're only looking at the W (west) data points

windrose1.jpg

Maurizio Mezzetti

Jun 30, 2019, 6:00:54 AM6/30/19
to weewx-user
hi, thank you very much for your work, only 2 question

1) in windrun it appears in miles instead km/hr
2) in have add, last April, a davis station, so i have data only from April (3 months), but climate show 3 months starting from January

what's  wrong?

 thanks
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (5).png

Pat

Jun 30, 2019, 7:31:33 AM6/30/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

1) Are you using MQTT Websockets? If so, you may need to define the MQTT extension to send windrun in km/hr. This is untested but perhaps something like this may help. Add this to your weewx.conf MQTT settings and restart weewx.
 [[MQTT]]
       [[[inputs]]]
            [[[[windrun]]]]
                units = km_per_hour

2) The charts do not know that you don't have a full year, they just get the data. You will have the help it by changing your xaxis_categories to

        xaxis_categories = 'Apr', 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', 'Dec'

Then next year you will add Jan, Feb, Mar back to the categories.

Maurizio Mezzetti

Jun 30, 2019, 7:41:19 AM6/30/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
thank you very much, i'm not use MQTT, for now, i have a as3935 in test over arduino, so probably i need mqtt ;)

Pat

Maurizio Mezzetti

Jun 30, 2019, 8:32:55 AM6/30/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Great, now it works;)

group_distance not present (weewx 3.9.1), i add
group_distance = km
in /etc/weewx/weewx.conf
(probably it is ok in weewx 3.9.1.1?)

ps, for show cloudbase, app temp and windrun i add
show_apptemp = 1
show_windrun = 1
show_cloudbase = 1
AND (these i haven't read in your HOWTO)
station_observations = ....., "appTemp", "windrun", "cloudbase", ......
in /etc/weewx/skins/Belchertown/skin.conf
if this is missing in your how to could you update?

thanks a lot
(and sorry for my poor english)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/63b90963-984f-4cc2-8b19-034d332993b3%40googlegroups.com.

Ralf B

Jun 30, 2019, 5:26:13 PM6/30/19
to weewx-user
is it possible to enable the export button in the highchart plots?

It is loading more messages.