Weewx 4.3 fresh install - 'bash: command not found' for utilities

Copain

Jan 21, 2021, 3:13:36 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
I did a fresh install of weewx 4.3 with dietpi buster on RPi 3B. It is a standard setup.py install with python 3.7.3 to /home/weewx and I followed relevant installation instructions.

Weewx is running in simulation mode and I get regularly updated reports.

On RPi I am logged in as root user and file rights are set to 755.

Weewx utilities files are installed in /home/weewx/bin. By executing 'wee_extension' in the installation or root path, I get 'bash: wee_extension: command not found'.

I get the same error message for 'wee_config --help' and 'wee_database --help'. At this point I don't seem to be able to use any of the utilities.

Strange enough, but I double checked for typo errors and weewx log does not report any errors too.

So far I could not find any solution for this behaviour. What am I overlooking?
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Invisible Man

Jan 21, 2021, 3:23:39 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
Hi,

Normally, wee_config, wee_database and wee_extension are located in /usr/bin. Strange, I suppose you do  have /usr/bin in your PATH, don't you?

$ dpkg -L weewx | grep wee_
/usr/bin/wee_config
/usr/bin/wee_database
/usr/bin/wee_debug
/usr/bin/wee_device
/usr/bin/wee_extension
/usr/bin/wee_import
/usr/bin/wee_reports

vince

Jan 21, 2021, 3:25:46 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
The problem is that you used setup.py which installs things into a directory that is not in the operating system default $PATH.   Most new Linux users battle this.

The simplest thing is to use the full pathname to the utilities in /home/weewx/bin ala "/home/weewx/bin/wee_extension --list"

vince

Jan 21, 2021, 3:29:29 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 12:23:39 PM UTC-8 axelle....@gmail.com wrote:
Normally, wee_config, wee_database and wee_extension are located in /usr/bin. Strange, I suppose you do  have /usr/bin in your PATH, don't you?

No, they said they did a setup.py install so all those things are in /home/weewx/bin which is not in their $PATH

Invisible Man

Jan 21, 2021, 3:39:47 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
>No, they said they did a setup.py install so all those things are in /home/weewx/bin which is not in their $PATH

True.

Tom Keffer

Jan 21, 2021, 5:22:58 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
It's also worth looking at the Wiki article Understanding paths.

Copain

Jan 21, 2021, 6:16:22 PM1/21/21
to weewx-user
@vince
@Tom

Appreciate your support. I solved the problem by adding the following line:

code:
nano ~/.bashrc
export PATH=/home/weewx/bin:$PATH

May I suggest to add this to the section 'Installations using setup.py' of the Wiki article 'Understanding paths'?
This would certainly help other users as well and offer a solution at the same time.