Rainfall YTD only showing value since weewx has been installed

Eric Mears

Sep 5, 2019, 12:15:40 AM9/5/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

I am running with a VantagePro, and transitioned from wview to weewx with the Belchertown skin about 6 months ago.

Weewx shows a rainfall YTD of 8 inches, but the actual value is 29 inches.  The 8 inches are what has fallen since Weewx has been installed.

The VantagePro console shows 29 inches YTD.

Is there a way adjust the weewx ytd rainfall to account for ytd rainfall before the install?

I searched the archives and didn't find anything.  I think there was a setting in weewx.conf for an earlier version of weewx that did something like this.

Thanks,

Eric

Thomas Keffer

Sep 5, 2019, 10:14:46 AM9/5/19
to weewx-user
I assume the Belchertown skin is summing from the database. If that's the case, you could replace instances of

$year.rain.sum

with

$current.yearRain

That would give you the value directly from the console.

-tk

gjr80

Sep 5, 2019, 10:56:15 AM9/5/19
to weewx-user
Don’t know what Belchertown does, but depending on how the wview to WeeWX port occurred I thought it might be a case of incomplete daily summaries. Stopping WeeWX and using wee_database (http://weewx.com/docs/utilities.htm#wee_database_utility) to drop then rebuild the daily summaries might help. Of course if the issue is with NOAA format reports you would need to delete them all to force regeneration.

Gary

vince

Sep 5, 2019, 12:30:39 PM9/5/19
to weewx-user
I'd suggest the quickest way to work this one, rather than digging into the internals of Belchertown or waiting for Pat to see this thread, might be to run the good'ol Standard report once and see what 'it' reports for the YTD rain.  Compare your NOAA reports.

My belchertown and standard skins report the same thing for YTD here, using their NOAA report totals.

Another thing to look at is whether your rain year starts on other than Jan-1st.   Here near Seattle it's rainy in oct-nov-dec so my Standard skin YTD is far higher than the Jan-1-to-now total, but the NOAA numbers line up exactly for me.

Eric Mears

Sep 5, 2019, 12:45:03 PM9/5/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

I added $current.yearRain, and it does exactly what I want.

Thanks!

Eric