wee_extension: command not found: How do I run the wee_extension from bash session within a docker container.

m...@iotimpactlabs.com

Mar 13, 2017, 2:49:45 PM3/13/17
to weewx-user
Greetings!

I am running Weewx as a docker container using the following Dockerfile

FROM debian:jessie
MAINTAINER Michael.C Ryan m...@iotimpactlabs.com

#ENV VERSON=3.6.0
ENV VERSION=3.7.0
ENV HOME=/home/weewx

RUN apt-get -y update && apt-get -y upgrade

RUN apt-get install -y sqlite3 curl \
python-configobj python-cheetah python-imaging \
python-serial python-usb python-mysqldb

#Install weewx from source
&& cd /tmp/weewx* && ./setup.py build && ./setup.py install --no-prompt

ENV TZ=America/New_York
RUN ln -snf /usr/share/zoneinfo/$TZ /etc/localtime && echo $TZ > /etc/timezone

# install new mountain weather station extension
RUN apt-get -y install python-dev python-pip

RUN pip install pynmea2

RUN apt-get -y install wget

RUN /home/weewx/bin/wee_extension --install weewx-nm150.zip

# copy files from backup

# ensure the container runs at startup

# start weewx
CMD /home/weewx/bin/weewxd /home/weewx/weewx.conf

After I build and run this Docker file, everything works out fine but I run into my problem at the next step when I try to install the Weewx MQTT client.

Weewx MQTT Client Installation Resource:  https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/mqtt

I get hung up at the following command...
  1.
    root@6220586be0b9:/# wee_extension --install weewx-mqtt-0.15.tgz
    bash: wee_extension: command not found

This is not a problem when I am running installations ouside docker but unfortunately such is required by job.  FYI:  I tried another approach too; I built a separate ubuntu14.04 container and just installed weewx and the MQTT client as I would if just using a standard Ubutnu 14.04 OS but I run into other issues which I would rather not go into for the moment.  Based on the above Dockerfile, which rings and hoops do I need to jump through in order to run the following command within a weewx container?

root@6220586be0:/# wee_extension --install weewx-mqtt-0.15.tgz

Thanks in advance my friends!

mwall

Mar 13, 2017, 4:04:11 PM3/13/17
to weewx-user
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 2:49:45 PM UTC-4, mr wrote:
 Based on the above Dockerfile, which rings and hoops do I need to jump through in order to run the following command within a weewx container?

try specifying the full path to wee_extension.  since you are installing to /home/weewx, the full path would be

/home/weewx/bin/wee_extension

just as you did to install the weewx-nm150 extension

Alvaro Villa Emperador

Jan 29, 2024, 5:18:04 AMJan 29
to weewx-user
if you have installed Weewx 5.0, try using  sudo weectl extension install EXTENSION-LOCATION instead of wee_extension
that worked for me