Acurite Atlas - I switched --> Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP

Xant

Aug 15, 2019, 3:50:26 PM8/15/19
to weewx-user

My previous Acurite 5x1 died sometime ago due to age and exposure, then Acurite Atlas as a replacement which also provides UV.

I previously had an issue with Acurite, as they required their connection module to be changed, from Hub to Access. Sure, technology evolves and the Hub not just to be put in tech trash pile, but the service would cease. Acurite provided a discount for a period of time, but as I need another Access (for relatives), it is now at full price.

Later verified that the new Acurite Atlas UV sensor was not working (which it seems a common occurrence as posted in related forums), and requested a replacement which took long to arrive. Meanwhile, besides its flimsy appearance when compared to the robust Atlas, gave a Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP a try... and couldn't be happier.

Sure, Davis is the "Cadillac" of the PWS's, but at a price. Ambient weather provides almost as much info as Davis, and Radiation which is not provided by Atlas.... and its cheaper!

Most important for WeeWX users, as much I learned the "sniff" capabilities of Matt's Interceptor Driver, the process to make it work takes tweak and time. While Matt's ObserverIP driver is a breeze and working in minutes (with no need to tweak router, deal with DNS hijack or firewall).

Bottom line: WS-1550-IP - Better money value, more sensors and easier for WeeWX setup.

Best,
Xant

Xant

Aug 28, 2019, 10:36:44 PM8/28/19
to weewx-user

Switch again?!?

Having intermittent data difficulties as the following pic:

At first, as maxSolarRad also shows intermittent, thought RPi to be at fault (even thinking try to keep RPi clean without much processing interference other than WeeWX, MQTT and driver).

Later, after much troubleshooting (which was not easy as there was not clear pattern), it seems that the problem actually related to ObserverIP itself. The following is an excerpt from ObserverIP firmware page (old version):

Some users have reported conditions where their ObserverIP has become totally, or partially unresponsive (or very slow) to requests for web pages by either a browser, or secondary device (such as WeatherBridge or MeteoBridge, or computer running software that “interrogates” the ObserverIP web pages). In all cases the problem would occur somewhat unpredictably, and was seen as frequent as once a week, but most often less frequently. The problem manifests as web page timeouts, seen by a browser user or by a secondary device or software. Sometimes the problem is transient, sometimes it is (semi) permanent. To recover, the only solution is a “cold restart” which can be affected by removing power from the ObserverIP for 5 seconds, or by pressing the reset button located on the rear of the ObserverIP.

This was said to be solved, but apparently (and as posted in other forums), that actually NOT. Upon On/Off of ObserverIP, things seems get back "normal" till ObserverIP gets "overwhelm" once again... and another On/Off. Some reported this to be a week turn-around...

I'm not willing to get to this struggle... neither around device all time (and don't need this "pet"). So, while running Ok after latest On/Off, still under "return" timeframe and WS-1550-IP is on the edge.

As I'm still not in Davis budget commitment, now considering WeatherFlow:

Any feedback regarding WeatherFlow & WeeWX experience?

Best,
Xant

Xant

Aug 29, 2019, 10:08:38 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user

Does not take a week... just a few days, and the data intermittency start again.

For the price and features, WS-1550-IP it is a good system (for regular use). But unfortunately, ObserverIP firmware (as today), may have difficulties to handle WeeWX... (will return).

Xant

Xant

Oct 9, 2019, 11:03:21 PM10/9/19
to weewx-user
Davis is known as the "cadillac" (prestige) of PWSs. Measurement seems precise at short time rate update. I can not advocate, as I never own one, due to pricing, outdated display and extra interface.

I went through few "budget" PWSs, that is Acurite (5x1, Atlas) and Ambient Weather (ws-1550-ip).

1) Acurite 5x1 served me for many years, till fail due to age and weather exposure --> recycle pile

2) Acurite Atlas, the natural update, had a sensor malfunction - and no extra sensors (as solar radiation) for nowadays --> returned

3) Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP its an interesting option for the price. But ObserverIP gets "overload" after just a day or two, and not suitable for WeeWX application --> returned
ObserverIP firmware problem is a known issue (even by the developer), said to be resolved, but NOT. Upon return, this was NOT acknowledged and charged for the return besides proof of difficulties (avoid!).

My current recommendation is WeatherFlow Smart PWS. At a "budget" and on top of the "usual" measuring sensors, WeatherFlow has also sensors for Radiation, UV, Illuminance and Lightning. And most important.... at NO moving parts! (similar options would cost a lot more).

No matter what you choose, and also to note, verify that your PWS of choice has a working WeeWX driver (very important!). All the above works with WeeWX.

Xant

Xant

Oct 14, 2019, 1:43:15 PM10/14/19
to weewx-user

Received inquiries regarding 5x1 Acurite USB display connection, and the following is previous experience:

I never had a display for any PWS system as I considered them all outdated and not necessary... and that its when it comes online feed and WeeWX.

For 5x1 Acurite, I used Acurite Access (which is the current Acurite Hub) direct connected to my Linksys router, with DD-WRT. From there, you have to tweak firewall and redirect Access data [source] to RaspeberryPI [target].

My notes on this process:

INTERCEPTOR Driver - for Acurite 5x1

https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor

Installation
0) install weewx, select 'Simulator' driver
http://weewx.com/docs/usersguide.htm#installing
1) download interceptor driver
% wget -O weewx-interceptor.zip https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor/archive/master.zip
2) install driver
% wee_extension --install weewx-interceptor.zip
3) configure driver
% wee_config --reconfigure --driver=user.interceptor --no-prompt
4) WU - DNS hijack, using DD-WRT/Firewall
## WeeWX WU ##
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s [source IP] -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination [target IP]:80
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
5) Test driver install - provides sensor data
% PYTHONPATH=/usr/share/weewx python /usr/share/weewx/user/interceptor.py --device=[wu-client, acurite-bridge] --mode=listen --port=80 --debug

Please, read the Interceptor Driver Instructions carefully. There is lots of information and options there.

Xant

Sean Jahnig

Oct 14, 2019, 2:06:42 PM10/14/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.

If i could go back i think i would spend a bit extra and go for a different brand than acurite. But anyways, for now i'm locked in and it seems to be working with my display after i removed the USB keyboard and USB mouse.

Will it work tomorrow... lets see...