WDC Skin

Montefiori Luca

Aug 7, 2022, 2:18:14 PM8/7/22
to weewx-user
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I'm using WDC Skin versione 2.0.1

Inside_Temperature.jpg
In each "temp" graph there is a 3° "delta" in top and low scale.
I would like to know if there is the possibility to adjust this delta to other values (i.e 1 or 0)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

p q

Aug 7, 2022, 2:40:52 PM8/7/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I don't know that skin - and I took a quick look at it and it looks like you'd find this defined in the skin.conf file. One thing you should look at is the customization doc with regards to y axis scaling here: https://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Image_files

Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

Montefiori Luca

Aug 7, 2022, 4:11:43 PM8/7/22
to weewx-user
I've tried to add

       [[[inTemp]]]
            yscale = None, None, 0.02

to skin.conf

But it doesn't works.

In wdc skin seems that the "data-obs" variable (that define the type of graph) with value "temp" drive all the parameters of the graph.

Thanks

David Bätge

Aug 7, 2022, 10:57:55 PM8/7/22
to weewx-user
Hi there, I am the creator of this skin.

The graphs are getting generated via Javascript, not via the weewx image generator, so setting these options will not have any effect.

You are right, currently, the yScale delta is tied to the observation, in that case, temperature, which has a defined delta of 3 in the skin. Another user also requested to change this, so I think it would be good to add this option to the skin. I added a quick issue for that to track the progress: https://github.com/Daveiano/weewx-wdc/issues/49
Will be available in an upcoming release!

Montefiori Luca

Aug 10, 2022, 9:52:00 AM8/10/22
to weewx-user
I would like to propose a further improvement.
Currently the graphs have a resolution of 15 minutes.
It would be interesting to be able to customize this resolution for each individual chart.

Best Regards

David Bätge

Aug 10, 2022, 7:46:13 PM8/10/22
to weewx-user
And that's another reasonable improvement! That's the so-called aggregate_interval
I added another issue (https://github.com/Daveiano/weewx-wdc/issues/55), which will be available in a future release.

But where do you observe a 15 minutes interval? On the index page, it should be set to 30 minutes.

Montefiori Luca

Aug 11, 2022, 2:19:06 AM8/11/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
My fault. 30 minutes is the actual value.

I think it would be better to impose a lower and upper threshold (for example max 10 minutes and min 60 minutes)
Without these thresholds the web page can become too heavy

 width=Privo di virus.www.avast.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "weewx-user" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/11c63821-f200-49e5-9136-cf0d4374cc4an%40googlegroups.com.

--
---------------------------------------
Luca Montefiori

David Bätge

Aug 11, 2022, 8:13:55 PM8/11/22
to weewx-user
OK, I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same.

Currently, there are predefined aggregate_intervals for each page (index, week, month, year and stats) that should make sense. I thought about making it possible (opt-in) to change these values for every page. Actually, on the stats page, the interval gets automatically calculated to make the diagrams not too heavy.

Sorry, but I don't get what you mean by threshold, should the skin then decide what's best? Like on the index page it could be 10 minutes and on the monthly page 60 minutes?

Montefiori Luca

Aug 12, 2022, 10:56:19 AM8/12/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Currently, there are predefined aggregate_intervals for each page (index, week, month, year and stats) that should make sense. I thought about making it possible (opt-in) to change these values for every page.

Probably this does not have much sense and needs much effort in programming.
I think that:
Today = last 24 hours
Week = last 168 hours
Month = last 31 days
Year = last 365 days
are correct values.

Currently each chart consists of 48 values (every 30 min per daily chart) (except for rain and evotranspiration)
With this resolution sometimes the graphs are not correct and not sufficiently explanatory

image.png

In my opinion the user should be able (for each single graph) to add a "resolution multiplier" (values 1, 2 or 3). This value should multiply the calculated resolution.
i.e. 48 (x1), 96 (x2) or 144 (x3) values for daily, 84 (x1), 168 (x2) or 252 (x3) values for weekly, etc.

I apologize for my bad English.

Best regards.

David Bätge

Aug 13, 2022, 10:21:59 AM8/13/22
to weewx-user
I think we are talking about slightly different things. Let me explain:

The values for

Today = last 24 hours
Week = last 168 hours
Month = last 31 days
Year = last 365 days

will not change and will not be changeable by the user because this would not make any sense. Last week will consist of the last 7 days, not 6, not 8. Every time period is a constant.

Currently each chart consists of 48 values (every 30 min per daily chart) (except for rain and evotranspiration)

Only the charts on the index page consist of 48 points:

The index page, has a time span of 24h, aggregate_interval of 30min, so 24/0.5 = 48 points
The weekly page, has a time span of 7 days (168h), aggregate_interval of 2h, so 168/2 = 84 points
The monthly pages, have a time span of 31 days (744h), aggregate_interval of 6h, so 744/6 = 124 points
As I said, the aggregate_interval for the stats page (alltime) gets calculated automatically to not make the graphs too heavy by producing too many points (currently the max is 100 points on the stats page).

What you want to change is the aggregate_interval, that is what you call resolution

This should be changeable for
1. The context, eg. index, weekly, monthly, yearly
2. The observation (You are right, this should be changeable for every single graph (observation).)

However, I tend to implement the aggregate_interval, and not a multiplier for multiple reasons:
- weewx also uses this in the image generator so users should/could know about this
- To accomplish a specific resolution, the user would need to calculate the specific multiplier, with a aggregate_interval it is much easier I think!?
- with the aggregate_interval, the user would be really "free" in what to configure (like everything is possible)

Please let me know what you think about that. And by the way, your English isn't bad at all ;)
Best regards

Montefiori Luca

Aug 14, 2022, 3:51:09 AM8/14/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I read in https://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm :

aggregate_interval

The time period over which the data should be aggregated, in seconds. Required if aggregate_type has been set. Alternatively, the time can be specified by using one of the "shortcuts" (that is, hourdayweekmonth, or year).

So, you would like to implement in your code the "aggregate_interval".
At this moment the value of aggregate_interval is "coded" inside the software.
You would like to let the user to be able to set this value for each contex/observation.

This is probably the correct and most "elegant" solution.

I agree with you.

David Bätge

Aug 15, 2022, 9:23:58 PM8/15/22
to weewx-user
Yes from all that you have written, this is what makes sense and this is what you want to change.

I will probably release a new version (2.2.0) by the end of this week, which will include your first proposed improvement, the configurable yScale delta. The second improvement will hit in the next release. Thank you for your feedback!

David Bätge

Aug 19, 2022, 8:15:13 PM8/19/22
to weewx-user
@luca The new release 2.2.0 is out. Included is among other things (like a really pretty dark mode) three new options for charts customisation: yScaleMin, yScaleMax and yScaleOffset.

Min and Max is for setting a static value, yScaleOffset is for setting a custom (dynamic) offset. you can read more about it in the wiki: https://github.com/Daveiano/weewx-wdc/wiki/Configuration#general

I hope this will be a good addition and is what you were looking for, thank you for your feedback!

Montefiori Luca

Aug 27, 2022, 7:09:32 AM8/27/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
@david

Sorry for the late reply.

This morning I tested version 2.2.0
Great work.
I edited the configuration file:
         [[[inTemp]]]
             yScaleOffset = 0.5
         [[[inHumidity]]]
              yScaleOffset = 5
The "yScaleOffset = 0.5" setting for inTemp works correctly
The "yScaleOffset" setting for inHumidity seems not to work.

I also tried
         [[[inHumidity]]]
             yScaleMin = 60
             yScaleMax = 80
and this setting works correctly.
Where am I wrong?

Thanks for your help and your work.

David Bätge

Aug 27, 2022, 11:02:55 AM8/27/22
to weewx-user
@luca You got me. Before making this configurable for the user, I set some of the values programmatically. I forgot to move some of these static set values from code to skin.conf.

For example I have set a static

yScaleMin = 0
yScaleMax = 103

via Code. With this, it is not possible to set a custom yScaleOffset because it's not used if a yScaleMin or yScaleMax is set (see https://github.com/Daveiano/weewx-wdc/wiki/Configuration#general)

I will move all these programmatically set default values to the skin.conf in the next release to give the user full control. Thank you for pointing this out!

David Bätge

Aug 27, 2022, 11:18:34 AM8/27/22
to weewx-user
Sorry, just for clarification: the yScaleMin = 0, yScaleMax = 103 values are set for humidity.

David Bätge

Aug 30, 2022, 12:19:18 PM8/30/22
to weewx-user
@luca

You can try out the 2.2.1 release, which contains various bugfixes.

One change is that now all yScale options are exposed in the skin.conf, please have a look at all changes here: https://github.com/Daveiano/weewx-wdc/releases/tag/v2.2.1
It is now possible to set a custom yScaleOffset = 5 for inHumidity

Montefiori Luca

Aug 31, 2022, 11:37:50 AM8/31/22
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Great work. Thank you.