Setting up rtldavis - where to get?

f4n...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 11:42:38 PM8/22/22
to weewx-user
Hi, does anyone have the installation files for rtldavis? It seems to be archived (https://github.com/bemasher/rtldavis) and not longer available in the repository if I try to install it with golang.

Is anyone having long term experience and still running it? How stable is the signal with a R820T/T2 chip? Does it get every 2.5s wind packet?

Thanks for any advice,
fankyy

storm...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 11:56:50 PM8/22/22
to weewx-user

mihec

Mar 10, 2024, 3:12:55 AMMar 10
to weewx-user
Hi,
I need help setting up the rtldavis as well. Currently I'm using Ubuntu22.04 (as a test polygon) and latest weewx version (5.0x). I did follow up instructions from the github link but got stuck at step 4) where I should reconfigure the driver. The new "weectl" binary does not seem to have this option but I was assuming it might do it with "weectl extension install" already?
The next issue is with the build. I don't understand 5b): Since I am supposed to "cd" into a directory, it should have already exist. But when was the "$GOPATH/src/github.com/lheijst/rtldavis" created?
I managed to compile some code (honestly don't know how :-) ), I have a rtldavis binary which seems to recognize my Realtek RTLSDR dongle. I then try step 7) but it fails with
File "/etc/weewx/bin/user/rtldavis.py", line 93, in <module>
  import weewx.drivers
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'weewx'

Can you please help with this?
Thank you.

bgra...@umw.edu

Mar 10, 2024, 9:56:07 AMMar 10
to weewx-user

Hello,
I need some help setting up a VantagePro2 with this. Vince’s How To was helpful but doesn’t address the VP2 and its frequency hopping. Could someone running a successful setup post details? I’m running Bookworm on an RPI5. Thanks in advance.
Bob

vince

Mar 23, 2024, 3:09:10 PMMar 23
to weewx-user
Sorry - late reply.  I don't understand the frequency hopping question.  The rtldavis just kinda works and hears the ISS just fine.  I didn't do an exhaustive test but I did run it for a couple three days and it was nice and stable here.

bgra...@umw.edu

Mar 24, 2024, 11:05:22 AMMar 24
to weewx-user
Vince,
According to Davis for the Vantage Pro 2:
Operates on frequency-hopping spread spectrum of 902 to 928 MHz. Vantage Pro units operated at 916.5 MHz

Does the rtldavis take care of this? Is it able to scan for spread spectrum data? I don’t know a lot about this.
Thanks.
Bob

Tom Keffer

Mar 24, 2024, 11:49:57 AMMar 24
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Many years ago, Luc Heijst started a thread on how the Davis frequency hopping works: https://groups.google.com/g/weewx-user/c/ZjDVbSmwmZY/m/Sm8AHCu3CAAJ

vince

Mar 24, 2024, 12:46:53 PMMar 24
to weewx-user
Short answer is 'yes it takes care of things just fine'...

Loosely related - I recently updated my repo containing a script to set up v5 weewx/nginx with rtldavis (link) if anybody is having issues following Luc's ancient documentation for his driver.  The issue if you follow Luc's old docs as written these days is that the go language folks induced breaking changes in golang-1.16 and later. Simply specifying an older version of golang does the trick in preventing getting bitten by that upstream breaking change.

(I noticed this workaround buried in an attachment in an old thread (link) from last year from another user here....)

Some disclaimers on my script linked above:
  • it assumes you are on a pi running as user 'pi'
  • it only supports v5 pip installations of weewx
  • and I have 'no' plans be able to handle dpkg installs, running as other users, docker, whatever.
  • (but it should be a good starting point for how to install librtlsdr and rtldavis nowadays)

Graham Eddy

Mar 24, 2024, 10:47:13 PMMar 24
to WeeWX User
this sounds great.
for the record, eliminating the davis console and its need for a serial/usb port also eliminates what it provides: various indoor sensors (including barometer i think) and -crucially- the hardware data logger
⊣GE⊢

vince

Mar 24, 2024, 10:58:49 PMMar 24
to weewx-user
An inexpensive bme280 handles the inside t,h,p stuff but yup the datalogger functionality is nice to have

pli...@googlemail.com

Mar 29, 2024, 9:32:52 AMMar 29
to weewx-user
Hello to all!
I want to build the setup with an rtl-sdr stick to receive the data from my Vantage Pro 2.

The rtl-sdr stick which i have bought is the new version v4 which cames in 2023.

Is this new hardware version compatible with the solution of luc https://github.com/lheijst/weewx-rtldavis
and the new install from vince under https://github.com/vinceskahan/weewx-rtldavis

Does anyone have i tested with the v4 stick?

Many thanks and greetings
plinepa

vince

Mar 29, 2024, 10:58:43 AMMar 29
to weewx-user
Try it and let everybody know!

pli...@googlemail.com

Mar 31, 2024, 7:11:53 AMMar 31
to weewx-user
Then I'll give it a try.

In any case, the driver included in Debian 12 is not compatible with the V4 stick.
I was able to find out here: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7810

There is also a special driver there which I am trying to install.

Since my Linux skills aren't exactly the best, this will be exciting.