Can WeeWX be used to capture and save data from multiple stations?

Bill Thorson

Jul 5, 2022, 3:32:40 PM7/5/22
to weewx-user
I just discovered WeeWX and it looks great.  I really don't need the nice display at this time but have another question.  I have 3 stations installed from 3 different manufacturers.  What I would like to do is just capture 5-minute obs from each of them to compare.  This can be just to data files but would be better in databases.

Can WeeWX help with that?

vince

Jul 5, 2022, 3:36:09 PM7/5/22
to weewx-user
Likely depends on your stations and how you want to save the data, but weewx-multi can at least set up multiple stations on one computer, albeit with different resulting databases.   You're going to have to write something to do your comparison anyway, so you might feed influxdb and use grafana to do your comparison (as one way to do it) or go with a MQTT-based solution and do your dashboard in node-red or Home Assistant.  Many ways to get there once you can talk to the stations.

Tom Keffer

Jul 5, 2022, 4:14:25 PM7/5/22
to weewx-user
The simplest would be to run 3 different instances of WeeWX on the same computer. See the wiki article weewx-multi.

Then nominate one of the instances to do the reporting, making use of the database from the other 2 instances. For example, if you wanted to make a plot of outside temperature for today from the 3 different instances:

[[[daycompare]]]
   [[[[instance-1]]]]
       data_type = outTemp
       label = Stn 1
       data_binding = binding1
   [[[[instance-2]]]]
       data_type = outTemp
       label = Stn 2
       data_binding = binding2
   [[[[instance-3]]]]
       data_type = outTemp
       label = Stn 3
       data_binding = binding3

Where binding1, binding2, and binding3 are data bindings to the 3 different databases.