Update from v3.6.2 to v3.9.2

Auchtermuchty Weather

Nov 3, 2019, 6:55:54 AM11/3/19
to weewx-user
I've not updated the Pi running Weewx for quite some time hence it's on what's now quite an old version, 3.6.2.

Are there any gotchas about upgrading to the latest version?  I will of course take a backup first!

Auchtermuchty Weather

Nov 3, 2019, 7:28:50 AM11/3/19
to weewx-user
Think doing some RTFM answered my question.  It looks like I can install on top and run 'wee_database --update' and all should be well.

Maybe I should keep more up-to-date with new versions of WeeWx, not to mention new versions of Raspberian!

p q

Nov 3, 2019, 10:47:24 AM11/3/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I am in a similar boat. I am running 3.5.0 on my site. I have put off upgrading it since it's running fine with no problems. I want to see if the newer version would cause problems if I upgraded so I created a virtual machine using Virtual Box and installed Raspian on it, put the latest Weewx and copied my custom skin and other files. It took some tweaking but it was fine.

I haven't made the jump to moving my main site to 3.9.x yet. I have been thinking of waiting for 4 but I could if I ran into some reason to upgrade. The thing that might make me upgrade is getting a better forecasting service. I was using WU but it stopped working and I switched to NWS. I might look into one of the others which might mean I upgrade.

Why do you want to upgrade? Unless you change skins you'll see no difference.

Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

Thomas Keffer

Nov 3, 2019, 11:13:40 AM11/3/19
to weewx-user
No reason to upgrade unless you need the functionality of the newer versions. I have a station that is still running v2.6.2!

However, the Python consortium will no longer support Python 2.x as of 1 January 2020. I suspect operating system providers will begin dropping it from their distributions soon after. So, there will be a reason to upgrade to V4 sometime next year.

-tk

Auchtermuchty Weather

Auchtermuchty Weather

Nov 20, 2019, 9:44:35 AM11/20/19
to weewx-user
Update was so easy, all I wanted was a wget command to bring the .tar.gz file down to the RPi - instead I copied it across from my PC.  Shutdown at 13:43, a bit of thinking, copying & following instructions, restart at 13:59.

Now to try the Belchertown skin...

Auchtermuchty Weather

Nov 20, 2019, 10:20:08 AM11/20/19
to weewx-user
It changed the units in my weewx.conf!  I've changed them back but it was a bit annoying.

Thomas Keffer

Nov 20, 2019, 11:04:31 AM11/20/19
to weewx-user
Always worth checking the Upgrade Guide first!

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/d478a822-942a-4b82-b891-e19ee195623d%40googlegroups.com.