Reinstalling weewx

Bill Petheram

Feb 25, 2024, 6:39:03 AMFeb 25
to weewx-user
I had to reinstall weewx due to a bad system upgrade on a Raspberry Pi with an external SSD.

I wanted to check my installation was OK. I found that weewx started to read data from my station before I was sure everything was setup properly.

It would be nice to be able to turnoff data download at startup to check that the installation works OK and files are in the correct positions. Then turn on data loading.

This I guess is less of a problem on Rpi 4 as you can boot from USB. I am using Rpi 3B so I have to use symbolic links.

Tom Keffer

Feb 25, 2024, 10:02:08 AMFeb 25
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Move a temporary database into position, then set it aside when you're satisfied.

Neville Davis

Feb 25, 2024, 4:51:00 PMFeb 25
to weewx-user
I have a Pi4 with external SSD and I did exactly what Tom has suggested without any problems.

I have done this every time I have had a new hardware config to ensure all is well.

Nev

Bill Petheram

Mar 1, 2024, 11:36:38 AMMar 1
to weewx-user
I wasn't being clear.

There is no way for preventing records being read from the hardware and so they get lost.

I did ry not connecting the hardware but then weewx doesn't start properly.

Bil

Tom Keffer

Mar 1, 2024, 11:38:21 AMMar 1
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
What kind of hardware?

Bill Petheram

Mar 1, 2024, 11:44:38 AMMar 1
to weewx-user
Vantage Pro2 connected with USB.

John Smith

Mar 1, 2024, 11:51:00 AMMar 1
to weewx...@googlegroups.com

vince

Mar 1, 2024, 12:18:46 PMMar 1
to weewx-user
Couple things....
  • you're asking for a feature to be able to skip saving data to the db...
  • yet you want to check your new installation works...
  • which 'requires' saving data to the db so you can check that
  • in other words - what you're asking for would prevent you doing what you want to do (huh?)
  • and secondly missing a few readings isn't the end of the world worst case
If you have the official Davis datalogger that stores up to a week or so of readings from your sensors as long as the console is powered up.  Weewx will gracefully catch up to any records the datalogger has that the db doesn't (yet) have stored and you won't miss any readings.  If you have a third party logger with no such storage, your mileage may vary.

Jimi Lawson

Mar 1, 2024, 1:00:51 PMMar 1
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Yes you can boot a Pi 3b from USB, that's how I setup the Pi my weewx runs on, been running fine for 8 months or so.
Jimi