Weatherlink IP replacement

Robin Hunt

Nov 18, 2020, 12:13:19 AM11/18/20
to weewx-user
Hi

I used to use the Davis WeatherLink IP ethernet data logger which has broken.

I tried to buy a new one but I see it has been discontinued.

How do I connect my Davis Vantage Pro 2 to my weewx installation now? What hardware should I buy?

Kind regards
Robin

Garry A Lockyer

Nov 18, 2020, 1:10:10 AM11/18/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I use:

WeatherLink® USB Data Logger (#6510USB)

Regards,

Garry Lockyer
E: Ga...@Lockyer.ca

On Nov 17, 2020, at 21:13, Robin Hunt <robinh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Robin Hunt

Nov 18, 2020, 1:55:42 AM11/18/20
to weewx-user
Thanks very much - does anyone know if the USB version will work on a Raspberry Pi model 3?

Richard G

Nov 18, 2020, 6:53:53 AM11/18/20
to weewx-user
You should also consider the weather link logger.

Dave Webb KB1PVH

Nov 18, 2020, 6:57:20 AM11/18/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the USB version will work with a Raspberry Pi.

Dave-KB1PVH

Sent from my Galaxy S9

galfert

Nov 18, 2020, 8:07:32 AM11/18/20
to weewx-user
Davis pretty much discontinued the Weatherlink IP around the time they released the WeatherLink Live. My recommendation is to go with the WeatherLink Live. Doing so will allow you to even run additional software. You could even run two instances of WeeWX on different computers if you'd like simultaneously. That way you can play around testing plugins and customizations and the production system keeps running. You could also simultaneously then run Cumulux MX or Meteobridge or Weather-Display. You'll also gain live data on the Weatherlink mobile app when on your WiFi. The WeatherLink Live is the essential building block for a very expandable weather station. The WeatherLink Live is also capable of receiving data from multiple ISS and expansion transmitters.

weather list

Nov 18, 2020, 10:32:49 AM11/18/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I have two of the Meteobridge NANO SD units, not cheap at all but very capable units, and they free you from needing to use a USB cable. But galfert’s summary of the WLLive is compelling, especially as you can run multiple idfferent systems against it at once.

Nicolas Peninguy

Nov 18, 2020, 3:13:36 PM11/18/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Le 11/18/20 à 2:07 PM, galfert a écrit :
> Davis pretty much discontinued the Weatherlink IP around the time they
> released the WeatherLink Live. My recommendation is to go with the
> WeatherLink Live.

It took me some time to find relevant information on the Internet, so
may be this will be of some interest for someone.

This thing embeds an HTTP server with a local API described here:

https://weatherlink.github.io/weatherlink-live-local-api/

There are some good things, like broadcast of live data or discovery
through mDNS.

BUT:

Currently there is no local access to archive data, nor device health
data: https://github.com/weatherlink/weatherlink-live-local-api/issues

This thing will be useless if for whatever reason using Davis
weatherlink.com service is not wanted or possible.

Regards,

Nicolas

Karen K

Nov 19, 2020, 2:31:21 AM11/19/20
to weewx-user
I asked the support of Davis Instruments about local asscess. The answer was:

"Both the EnviroMonitor IP and WeatherLink Live are strictly cloud based and you would not be able to access through your LAN."

Nevertheless, I actually see no alternative to the WeatherLink Live device.

Robin Hunt

Nov 19, 2020, 2:46:27 AM11/19/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated!

galfert

Nov 19, 2020, 9:35:17 PM11/19/20
to weewx-user
That the WLL can not be access through your LAN is not true, and it really is unfortunate when customer support from Davis can be so clueless. Davis' own Weatherlink mobile app does just that...it accesses data on you LAN from the WLL and also from Weatherlink.com. There is a software driver that allows WeeWX to do exactly the same thing. Not only that but you can also do so with other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display software. Davis is not going to help you do any extra things like this. But the weather enthusiast community has your back in this regard.

John S

Nov 21, 2020, 9:39:13 PM11/21/20
to weewx-user
I would guess that the Davis customer support has their scripts which they must stick to, that's pretty common these days. Sell those subscriptions!