Installing weewx on Centos 8

Mike Doneske

Apr 29, 2020, 2:54:05 PM4/29/20
to weewx-user
Trying to install weewx on Centos 8 following the instructions in the compatibility matrix. I'm trying to install the b18 version Python3. All works OK until I get to the dnf install weewx step. I get a message: no match for argument weewx I'm using epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch. Did I miss a step? Am I using the right repo?

Mike Doneske

Apr 29, 2020, 3:02:51 PM4/29/20
to weewx-user

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 1:54:05 PM UTC-5, Mike Doneske wrote:
Trying to install weewx on Centos 8 following the instructions in the compatibility matrix. I'm trying to install the b18 version Python3. All works OK until I get to the dnf install weewx step. I get a message: no match for argument weewx I'm using epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch. Did I miss a step? Am I using the right r

Terminal output from install of epel-release and dnf install weewx:

Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                        1/1
  Running scriptlet: epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch                            1/1
  Upgrading        : epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch                            1/2
  Cleanup          : epel-release-8-7.el8.noarch                            2/2
  Running scriptlet: epel-release-8-7.el8.noarch                            2/2
  Verifying        : epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch                            1/2
  Verifying        : epel-release-8-7.el8.noarch                            2/2

Upgraded:
  epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch

Complete!
[root@india ~]# dnf install weewx
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - 183 kB/s | 116 kB     00:00
No match for argument: weewx
Error: Unable to find a match: weewx

vince

Apr 29, 2020, 3:57:45 PM4/29/20
to weewx-user
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 12:02:51 PM UTC-7, Mike Doneske wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 1:54:05 PM UTC-5, Mike Doneske wrote:
Trying to install weewx on Centos 8 following the instructions in the compatibility matrix. I'm trying to install the b18 version Python3. All works OK until I get to the dnf install weewx step. I get a message: no match for argument weewx I'm using epel-release-8-8.el8.noarch. Did I miss a step? Am I using the right r

If you can hold out for a day or two (hopefully max), Matthew is 'really' close to releasing the rpms for weewx v4 and associated procedure.

I've tested it on a centos8 vm and the procedure works great.   So if you can hang tight for a 'little' bit then it'll be very very straightforward...

Mike Doneske

Apr 29, 2020, 4:19:55 PM4/29/20
to weewx-user
It's a new install so I can hold off for a bit... Thanks for the reply

Mike Doneske

May 1, 2020, 4:46:03 PM5/1/20
to weewx-user
Followed new installation instructions and everything worked as expected. Only issue identified so far is default index.html doesn't display as before on Fire fox. Graphs have all moved to the bottom of the display and a lot of white space to the right of the text at the top.

Tom Keffer

May 1, 2020, 6:03:57 PM5/1/20
to weewx-user
Skins are not touched by an upgrade, so what you're looking at is your old skin.

Mike Doneske

May 2, 2020, 2:17:10 PM5/2/20
to weewx-user
This was a new install on an OS that never had WeeWx installed. Only files copied from old machine was weewx.sdb and weewx.conf
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to weewx...@googlegroups.com.

Tom Keffer

May 2, 2020, 2:21:14 PM5/2/20
to weewx-user
OK.

HTML pages look as expected for me when using Firefox. Can you post an HTML file that does this? Or, give an URL to one?

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/5f00b3ca-2e42-4da7-9da0-bd6f9ef1c56a%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 11:10:39 AM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Here is the index.html file from /var/www/html/weewx:
index.html

Tom Keffer

May 3, 2020, 11:48:09 AM5/3/20
to weewx-user
That looks pretty normal but then, of course, it all depends what's in the CSS files!

No publicly available website?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/3baf50ee-9683-4103-bed7-4e055c78d85f%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 5:29:48 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
I don't have a public available website. Changed over to a fiber internet connection and had to update most of the equipment to take advantage of the speed then had routing challenges that caused a re-configuration of routing from their equipment to mine. I can probalby set something up temporarily for testing. Will take a day or so I imagine. Is it possible to completely empty the /etc/weewx/skins/Seasons directory and let weewx rebuild the css files? I'm not sure what is put in that directory by the installer and what is built at startup.

Tom Keffer

May 3, 2020, 5:56:23 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
On program startup, weewx copies over all static files: javascript (.js) files, CSS files, and icons. So, you've got fresh copies if you've restarted weewx.

Most likely this is a CSS problem. Have you changed anything in skins/Seasons?

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/2ec42cc6-5a3f-423f-b9e6-f933dcb992f0%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 6:08:35 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Nothing was changed or modified after install. No local customizations except for what's in the weewx.conf. I was able to open a port on the router to get to the weewx weather screen (easier than the old equipment). Try to connect to 136.244.14.125/weewx. This is a test platform.

Tom Keffer

May 3, 2020, 6:28:13 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
That's it? That's definitely caused by a missing CSS file. Looks like the javascript seasons.js file is missing too.

We need the log. Set debug=1, restart weewx, post the log from the startup through the first reporting cycle.

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Mike Doneske <mdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nothing was changed or modified after install. No local customizations except for what's in the weewx.conf. I was able to open a port on the router to get to the weewx weather screen (easier than the old equipment). Try to connect to 136.244.14.125/weewx. This is a test platform.

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 6:59:43 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Attached is the log after a restart and debug=1.
log

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 7:03:57 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Also added ls -l output for /etc/weewx/skins/Seasons
dirout

Tom Keffer

May 3, 2020, 7:15:00 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
From your directory listing, it looks like the static files are there but, for some reason, are not getting copied over.

Could you post the skin configuration file, /etc/weewx/skins/Seasons/skin.conf. It should not have any confidential information in it.

-tk

Mike Doneske

May 3, 2020, 7:27:10 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Skin.conf file....
skin.conf

Tom Keffer

May 3, 2020, 8:17:17 PM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Well, you've got me stumped, although I'm sure it's something silly.

Please replace your copy of reportengine.py with this one. It's instrumented to help us understand what's going on. It goes in /usr/share/weewx/weewx/reportengine.py.

Restart weewxd, post the log.

-tk

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 4:27 PM Mike Doneske <mdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Skin.conf file....

reportengine.py

Mike Doneske

Tom Keffer

May 4, 2020, 8:14:18 AM5/4/20
to weewx-user
Looks like debug is not on. Double check weewx.conf, and make sure you've set

debug = 1

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/a438f619-b50f-47ac-be30-4f4284f8890a%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

Mike Doneske

May 4, 2020, 10:12:52 AM5/4/20
to weewx-user
One question: How is WEEWX_BINDIR passed to the daemon? I see where it is set but not passed to the daemon in the startup script. Is it passed as part of the start up environment? How is weewx daemon finding those modules in /usr/share/weewx/weewx? If debug is set to "1", it might be useful to print out the weewx used environment variables and debug value just to verify that everything is set as expected.

Tom Keffer

May 4, 2020, 12:21:23 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
It looks like Centos must be suppressing debug messages. Go into /etc/rsyslog.conf. You'll find something that looks like this:

*.info;<some irrelevant stuff>   /var/log/messages

Change it to

*.debug;<some irrelevant stuff>   /var/log/messages

You may have to reboot to have it take affect. Or, at least, restart rsyslog:

sudo systemctl restart rsyslog

Then restart weewx. Hopefully, that will get you the debug messages.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/eb9445b6-fc2c-433f-bc5b-721575c1283b%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

May 4, 2020, 1:13:33 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
New log....
log

Tom Keffer

May 4, 2020, 1:23:46 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
Good. Looks like we've got the debug messages.

Not so good is that I forgot to include the format specifiers. Try this version.

We'll get there.

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/9c5ba820-7a21-42bc-a183-bdf3bdc8eacd%40googlegroups.com.
reportengine.py

Mike Doneske

May 4, 2020, 2:08:14 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
latest log attached....
log

Tom Keffer

May 4, 2020, 2:34:43 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
OK. I think I see what's going on. It's a bug in the report engine.

You are using the report timing option, right?

The report engine copies the static files only the first time it runs. However, the report timing option is kicking in that first time, preventing the Seasons report from running. So, it misses out in the opportunity to copy the static files.

Two options until we can fix this:
  • Forgo using the timing option. This will cause the Seasons report to run every time. Or, somehow arrange the timing option so that it always runs the first time through.
  • Change skin.conf. Move the stuff under "copy_once" to "copy_always". This way, they will always get copied, not just the first time. Come to think of it, this is probably the bug fix: the performance hit from copying these files is tiny.
Issue #535.

On the other hand, if you are not using the timing option, then I have no clue what's going on. :-)

-tk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/5f5d74cd-4862-40c3-b22a-772c605b2848%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Doneske

May 4, 2020, 3:16:45 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
It is set to use the default of running at the archive interval if this is what you mean by report timing. I'll try option 2 to see of that fixes the report format.

Mike Doneske

May 4, 2020, 3:27:53 PM5/4/20
to weewx-user
That fixed the problem.... Edited skin.conf and told it to copy those things always. Format was correct at the next report run.