examples of skins - enhancement to registration

Andrew Milner

Aug 14, 2019, 1:32:23 AM8/14/19
to weewx-user
I have just been trying to find an example of Seasons skin in use - I have used modified Bootstrap for many years and was considering a change.  Does anyone think it would be useful for the station registration to be expanded to give a site URL and skin used in addition to hardware to make it easier to locate examples of specific skins.  Belchertown appears to be the only skin which is easy to identify!!  I am still trying to locate an example of the new Seasons skin (well it's new to me) and I really did not want to go through the palaver of enabling the skin in my happily running site.

Thomas Keffer

Aug 14, 2019, 7:00:04 AM8/14/19
to weewx-user
Good suggestion, although it would be a bigger project than you might think: the database would have to be rebuilt to accommodate the extra data. It all takes time!

My own site uses Seasons.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:32 PM Andrew Milner <andrew.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have just been trying to find an example of Seasons skin in use - I have used modified Bootstrap for many years and was considering a change.  Does anyone think it would be useful for the station registration to be expanded to give a site URL and skin used in addition to hardware to make it easier to locate examples of specific skins.  Belchertown appears to be the only skin which is easy to identify!!  I am still trying to locate an example of the new Seasons skin (well it's new to me) and I really did not want to go through the palaver of enabling the skin in my happily running site.

gjr80

Aug 14, 2019, 7:02:56 AM8/14/19
to weewx-user
Think this one has come up before, can't remember the outcome though (other than it doesn't exist). Not in a position to search just now.

Gary

Andrew Milner

Aug 14, 2019, 8:58:18 AM8/14/19
to weewx-user
Aha - that's interesting Tom - because the showcase has Hood River using Standard - so in my dotage I was not even convinced Hood River was your site!!!

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:32 PM Andrew Milner <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have just been trying to find an example of Seasons skin in use - I have used modified Bootstrap for many years and was considering a change.  Does anyone think it would be useful for the station registration to be expanded to give a site URL and skin used in addition to hardware to make it easier to locate examples of specific skins.  Belchertown appears to be the only skin which is easy to identify!!  I am still trying to locate an example of the new Seasons skin (well it's new to me) and I really did not want to go through the palaver of enabling the skin in my happily running site.

Pat

Aug 14, 2019, 9:59:30 AM8/14/19
to weewx-user
I think the showcase and the map aren't refreshing screenshots correctly. My site shows a screenshot from 2016. I do think Tom and mwall were aware of that issue though.

mwall

Aug 14, 2019, 2:41:18 PM8/14/19
to weewx-user
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:59:30 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:
I think the showcase and the map aren't refreshing screenshots correctly. My site shows a screenshot from 2016. I do think Tom and mwall were aware of that issue though.

the showcase is not automatically update - those screenshots are from the date/time we made them

the map is automatically updated - if your screenshot on the map is older than a month, please let me know.

i guess that is another feature request for the registry: keep old images so you can go back in time for any given site :)

Greg from Oz

Aug 14, 2019, 7:10:50 PM8/14/19
to weewx-user
Yes I asked about this last year.

If it does come to fruition there may as well be extra fields in the database for multiple skins as I run a few as well.

Andrew Milner

Aug 14, 2019, 10:49:57 PM8/14/19
to weewx-user
Tom/Mathew - can this be added to a wishlist somewhere - for skin (or skins) to be included in registration and for the showcase to be updated - say monthly - to show examples of all wiki-listed(so people know where to find the skin) available skins rather than the somewhat random selection it presently shows which is rarely (if ever) updated.
As I wrote this an alternative has come to mind - the wiki list of skins could/should include a mandatory link to an example of useage (and include weewx 'out-of-the-box' skins in the list)

Pat

Aug 15, 2019, 8:09:46 AM8/15/19
to weewx-user
Makes sense, thanks mwall.

It looks like the showcase and the map have the same screenshot for my site (its from 2016)

vince

Aug 15, 2019, 7:07:48 PM8/15/19
to weewx-user
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 4:10:50 PM UTC-7, Greg from Oz wrote:
If it does come to fruition there may as well be extra fields in the database for multiple skins as I run a few as well.

Agree.  I run a bunch of them too, as many folks likely do.