Raspberry Pi hardware beta tester wanted - Davis station

Prodata

Aug 9, 2019, 4:21:56 PM8/9/19
to weewx-user
Have a simple new Pi µHAT nearing launch that provides a simple neat interface into a Pi from a Davis Vantage console (Vue or VP2) - no additional logger required. It's intended as a basic lowish-cost serial interface with some added features and no USB involved. Th unit consists of a plug for the console plus the µHAT and a cabled connection.

The unit tests fine with CumulusMX but it would be nice to have someone try with weewx too. You'll obviously need a spare Vue/VP2 console.

Ideally this would be someone in the UK, but happy to consider any offers from further afield.

Pat

Aug 9, 2019, 7:38:40 PM8/9/19
to weewx-user
I have a Davis VP2 Plus with a spare console, but am in the US. I'm curious though - this Pi hat plugs right into the console's expansion port?

Prodata

Aug 10, 2019, 4:07:17 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
Yes, that's right - there's an adapter plug that fits directly on to the console's expansion port and then cables to the Pi or Pi Zero. If I might ask an indelicate question: we're really looking for someone who's an experienced weewx user so that (i) they can give the unit a through workout and (ii) if there were to be any issues (not at all sure why there might be, but if...) then they might be able to take some first steps in troubleshooting. Anyway, if you want to follow this up maybe email me please at gen...@prodata.co.uk

Andrew Milner

Aug 10, 2019, 5:47:44 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
so all it does is provide the serial connection without any logger facility as opposed to say the belfryboy which provides a logger and usb connection - is that correct? so of no use in cases of power cuts etc - correct?

Prodata

Aug 10, 2019, 7:04:06 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
No, it does have logging built-in, plus other features like LEDS to show real-time communications to console, isolation from console, RTC, etc. (And of course freedom from any potential USB issues.)

Prodata

Aug 10, 2019, 7:13:54 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
I should have said that for more info there is a provisional webpage at: https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/meteo-pi.htm

NB This is just a draft page at present - needs some further work, more images before publishing more widely, but the key stuff is there.

Andrew Milner

Aug 10, 2019, 7:56:49 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
ok then - so it has the same facilities as the belfryboy logger (£59 shipped) except that it has onboard RTC , leds and connects direct to pi specific header pins instead of general purpose usb - have I got it right now??

Prodata

Aug 10, 2019, 8:18:08 AM8/10/19
to weewx-user
Yes correct. And there's input isolation, so should be especially useful for cabled consoles to avoid ground loops etc (though most users have wireless consoles I know).

Ruben Navarro Huedo

Aug 10, 2019, 1:04:55 PM8/10/19
to weewx-user
I can test it, but i am in Spain.

Prodata

Aug 10, 2019, 1:38:10 PM8/10/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Ruben, but I think we probably have enough volunteers now. But if anyone drops out then I'll get back to you.
Message has been deleted