automatic reload of weewx.conf

bob dingle

Aug 2, 2019, 2:11:34 PM8/2/19
to weewx-user
HI all,
I had to redo my pi sd card and reinstall weewx after a power outage mangled the installation. I was surprised to find that my original configuration files appeared in the new installation without me redoing all the parameters. Am I missing something or is this just the magic gremlin that occasionally does something good on our PCs?

Dave Webb KB1PVH

Aug 2, 2019, 2:27:50 PM8/2/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
In what way did a power outage cause weewx to be mangled?

Dave-KB1PVH

Sent from my Galaxy S9

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 2:11 PM bob dingle <g0ocb...@gmail.com> wrote:
HI all,
I had to redo my pi sd card and reinstall weewx after a power outage mangled the installation. I was surprised to find that my original configuration files appeared in the new installation without me redoing all the parameters. Am I missing something or is this just the magic gremlin that occasionally does something good on our PCs?

vince

Aug 2, 2019, 4:22:25 PM8/2/19
to weewx-user
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 11:11:34 AM UTC-7, bob dingle wrote:
I had to redo my pi sd card and reinstall weewx after a power outage mangled the installation. I was surprised to find that my original configuration files appeared in the new installation without me redoing all the parameters. Am I missing something or is this just the magic gremlin that occasionally does something good on our PCs?

You're going to want to replace that SD card sooner rather than later, if you found some files corrupted after a power hit.

Robert Lorenzini

Aug 2, 2019, 5:41:28 PM8/2/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Get a power pack with "pass through charging". Cheap  and easy battery
backup. If your card is ~yr old you are on borrowed time IMHO. SSD would
save a lot of headaches.

Bob - wd6dod

Greg from Oz

vince

Aug 3, 2019, 2:39:21 AM8/3/19
to weewx-user
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 5:32:22 PM UTC-7, Greg from Oz wrote:
I wondered why my pi stopped the other day. The sd card had a hole burnt though it!

Wow - that'll do it for sure.
What model pi ?
Did you have it someplace it was crazy hot, or did you just get a short or something ?

Greg from Oz

Aug 6, 2019, 6:00:17 AM8/6/19
to weewx-user
Model is Pi 3
It wasn't anywhere hot and its winter here so it was cold.
Apparently it is a common fault.