Apple buys DarkSky, IBM own TheWeatherChannel and WU, what's the next shoe to drop?

Chris Richmond

Apr 1, 2020, 2:07:56 PM4/1/20
to weewx-user
Just saw that Apple bought DarkSky, and the API will get disabled end of 2021.  Also noticed that TheWeatherChannel's
web site is reporting as "by IBM" now.

Chris

p q

Apr 1, 2020, 2:10:19 PM4/1/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Privatization of NWS?

Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264

Les Niles

Apr 1, 2020, 3:24:18 PM4/1/20
to weewx-user
They’ve been trying to do that for years, by proposing to give Accuweather exclusives to the NWS products. I was afraid it might happen when the CEO of Accuweather was nominated for NOAA administrator, but fortunately he didn’t get the job.

  -Les

William Burton

Apr 2, 2020, 12:58:51 AM4/2/20
to weewx-user
Hello,
Not only that, no new DarkSky API signups are being accepted effective immediately. Then, July 1st this year, embeds and the website will be disabled except for current API and iOS usage.

You can read the official announcement at https://blog.darksky.net/.

-Bill

Ernest Jillson

Apr 5, 2020, 12:49:08 PM4/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I have an API key from WU. It's free (probably because my station is registered with them). I haven't tried it, but I would think there would be a way to embed a forecast in your page using WU with a key?  Has anyone done this?

Ernest Jillson

Apr 5, 2020, 12:51:29 PM4/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Actually, just searched and see that there is a an extension for weewx that handles it and more:

Dave Webb KB1PVH

Apr 5, 2020, 2:29:26 PM4/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Ernest,

 I have one on my page.

Dave-KB1PVH

Sent from my Galaxy S9

Screenshot_20200405-142758_Chrome.jpg

Dave Webb KB1PVH

Apr 5, 2020, 2:30:08 PM4/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
At least I think it's using my WU API Key

Dave-KB1PVH

Sent from my Galaxy S9

William Burton

Apr 6, 2020, 10:51:56 PM4/6/20
to weewx-user
Hello,

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 12:49:08 PM UTC-4, Ernest Jillson wrote:
I have an API key from WU. It's free (probably because my station is registered with them). I haven't tried it, but I would think there would be a way to embed a forecast in your page using WU with a key?  Has anyone done this?

I tried this yesterday. Was able to get the weewx-forecast extension to work when run with WeeWX 3.9 but when I configured my WU API key, the response was "service not available." On further investigation, it seems the WU API was shut down in February 2019. In it's place, there's an API at weather.com. You can see the announcement at https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/weather-underground-api-update.

Here are some links to the weather.com API:

I was able to use my WU API key with the weather.com API and successfully retrieve a five-day forecast to my browser in JSON. At first glance, it appears the weather.com API bears little resemblance to the WU API other than the URL is specified differently. Assuming this is the case, it would take a bit of work to add the weather.com API to weewx-forecast as a supported service.

However, I found that the weewx-forecast extension did not work with WeeWX 4 beta running with Python 3. It seems there are differences with the Python Thread module between v2 and v3. I was able to work around some of the issues but not to the extent that I could get the extension to work.

-Bill

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:58 AM William Burton <bburt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:07:56 PM UTC-4, Chris Richmond wrote:
Just saw that Apple bought DarkSky, and the API will get disabled end of 2021.  Also noticed that TheWeatherChannel's
web site is reporting as "by IBM" now.

Chris

Not only that, no new DarkSky API signups are being accepted effective immediately. Then, July 1st this year, embeds and the website will be disabled except for current API and iOS usage.

You can read the official announcement at https://blog.darksky.net/.

-Bill

Messy Potamia

Apr 17, 2020, 9:27:08 AM4/17/20
to weewx-user
Regarding next-shoe-to-drop...   let's all hope that IBM or whoever doesn't offer Tom enough $ to buy that new thirty-meter ocean cruiser he's been wanting, to sell all the rights to weewx for their commercial-only use.