Adding permissions for the weewx user

m8rk...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2024, 4:58:41 PMMar 23
to weewx-user
This is more an observation than a question but I had to add the line

KERNAL=="ttyS0", GROUP="weewx", MODE="0666"

to the /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules file to get weewx to run after upgrading from 4.10.2 to 5.0.2. Weewx runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 connected via the serial port ttyS0 to a Davis Vantage Pro console.

Did I miss something in the setup or is this known, required change?

Cameron D

Mar 24, 2024, 10:00:17 PMMar 24
to weewx-user
I thought this should have been handled on installation, but maybe your case was unusual.

There are example udev rules in the installation, although when I run "dpkg-query -L weewx | grep udev" I get multiple conflicting examples - even on a fresh install, let alone an upgrade.
All the examples seem to rely on serial port via a usb adaptor, so if you have a real com port then perhaps that is why.

I don't know where the 99-com file comes from, but it sounds like a default catch-all.
Generally you should have a separate, specific rule file, something like "20-vantage.rules", to ensure it remains after an update.
I tend to give tighter permissions, such as 0660 to reduce the possibility of other programs poking their noses in.