Aeris forcast with belchertown

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2024, 7:38:45 PMJan 24
to weewx-user
Is anyone else having problems with aeris forcasting?  For the past few weeks my access credits have been running out resulting in my webpage not being updated.  I've turned off forcasting in weewx.conf and when I watch my activity on aeris the hits keep coming.  I don't know who is making these requests.  My aeris credits are racking up at an average of a few hundred an hour, even with forcasting turned off.  I've contacted aeris tech support which has not been helpful.

vince

Jan 24, 2024, 8:15:41 PMJan 24
to weewx-user
Nope.  Steady here.

Guessing you posted your forecast id and secret key somewhere at sometime in the past.  You might try going to https://account.aerisweather.com/account/apps and registering a new app there to use that in your weewx.conf (and disable your old app registration via the aeris dashboard).

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2024, 11:08:16 PMJan 24
to weewx-user
I've done that.  Should have mentioned in original post.  I've changed my password, deleted and created a new app.  My hit count reset at 1900EST and within an hour I was at ~600 hits, and that's with forcasting turned off in the conf file.  Aeris tech support has not been able to solve this.  I'm thinking I may need to delete my account with them and re-create a new one.

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2024, 11:32:57 AMJan 26
to weewx-user
So, I've solved my problem.  If you're using the aeris free account on their contributor plan, do not turn on aeris maps in the belchertown settings.  I don't know what has changed on their end because I have had the same configuration for many years, but now the map will make thousands of hits per hour and they will shut you down when you exceed your allowed 5,000 hits.  I turned off the aeris maps and all looks well so far.

Dan Roman

Jan 28, 2024, 1:25:38 PMJan 28
to weewx-user
I had this problem back in October but it cleared itself up.  Never determined if it was an Aeris or Blechertown problem.  Didn't need to change my password, delete my account, or anything.  It was just a glitch in the matrix I guess that went on for a couple of days and then fixed itself.

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2024, 7:56:40 PMJan 28
to weewx-user
Are you using the aeris maps?  That's where I found my issue.  The maps rack up hundreds of requests per hour and max you out real quick.  I turned off aeris maps and now I have less than 300 hits per day.

Dan Roman

Jan 29, 2024, 9:13:13 AMJan 29
to weewx-user
Yes, I am.  When it was failing when I manually entered the URL in a browser I got back the following JSON response:

{"success":false,"error":{"code":"maxhits_daily","description":"Maximum number of daily accesses reached."},"response":[]}

But as I said, after I waited a day or two it cleared itself up and started working again without my needing to change anything.

MikeQ

Jan 29, 2024, 12:23:18 PMJan 29
to weewx-user
The latest version of the Belchertown skin v1.3.1 recommends using windy.com for maps:
  • Q: Do I have to use the radar?
  • A: Nope! If you leave it disabled you'll just have a big blank box on the website. But windy.com provides a free animated radar, so why not include it? :)

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2024, 5:46:42 PMJan 29
to weewx-user
Yes, I know this.  The aeris map is an option.  I chose this option because they provide a better looking map.  I have since reverted to the windy map.

bchap...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2024, 5:47:32 PMJan 29
to weewx-user
 I may try it again in a week or so and see what happens.  Thanks for the update!