WP1000 archive retrieval slow

Paul Robson

Jan 14, 2020, 2:26:35 PM1/14/20
to weewx-user
I have weewx installed on a RasPi 1 running the HP1000 driver connecting to the station on WiFi. The archive retrieval is taking about 10 seconds/record (it takes 24hrs to upload 5 days of records). Database is a remote MySQL as the intention is to process the data off-site and ensure good backup.
As we have 2 years of archive is there any way to speed this up?
Short term I could connect a laptop but would this query the station any quicker?
Is there a way to download and process all the records in bulk rather than one at a time?
All advice welcome, thanks on advance.

vince

Jan 14, 2020, 5:21:44 PM1/14/20
to weewx-user
Nothing substitutes for 'get yourself a real computer' :-)

Just as a point of reference, I compiled python3 on my ancient Seagate Dockstar (aka pogoplug) and it took 4 hours to run 'make test'.  On a pi4 it took 7 minutes.

Spend the 50 bucks.  You'll be glad you did.

gjr80

Jan 14, 2020, 7:06:51 PM1/14/20
to weewx-user
I think you might be being a little quick to judge the RPi1, my first WeeWX machine was a RPi1 and it downloaded historical records from my Davis station just fine. Only reason to upgrade was needing more processing power for faster report generation. There's two sides to this equation, the other being the weather station, there we've seen other stations before that take their time in dishing out historical records. Then add a remote database to the mix...

Short answer is maybe. Sure you may be able to change the operation of the driver if you are that way inclined, only problem is most station manufacturers/rebadgers tend not to share to many details on how their station operate/communicate. Try your laptop, if no difference then I suspect there will not be a great deal you can do, if there is a difference then an RPi upgrade may be in order.

Gary

Thomas Keffer

Jan 14, 2020, 8:06:21 PM1/14/20
to weewx-user
The problem may be the remote connection to the MySQL database. All the handshaking across the network may be taking a long time.

You might find it a lot faster to use a local sqlite database, then dump it to a file, then restore on the remote MySQL server.

Two Wikis to read:

-tk