png images for index.html not updating but the data is being updated and the /smartphone images are being updated

Troy Lass

Feb 14, 2020, 6:49:23 PM2/14/20
to weewx-user
Ok, I'm still fighting issues here but thought I'd start a new thread...

Davis pro2
Currently using envoy with brand new datalogger.  I'd recently purchased it to replace what I thought was a bad datalogger but I'm no longer sure the old one was bad since I ran into the same issue with this one in that the main index.html froze on a past date and was not getting updated.

Yesterday I had the index.html stop updating.  I noticed it today and when I got home I did the following....

weewx stop
wee_device --info ( everything looked good )
wee_device --start
weewx start the archive records were downloaded to current time and I expected the web page to get updated.

The current information on the left ( widget group ) is updated, however the imbedded .png files  are not updating on the main index.html.  The png files are being written to /var/www/html/weewx but the information is not being updated.

The interesting thing is that the /smartphone images ARE being updated and are current.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Troy

syslog
weewx.conf

Thomas Keffer

Feb 14, 2020, 7:32:18 PM2/14/20
to weewx-user
They look OK from my end. Did you update the cache in your browser?

Troy Lass

Troy Lass

Feb 14, 2020, 9:57:51 PM2/14/20
to weewx-user
I did clear the cache on Chrome.  I even opened IE that I haven't used in over a year and tried it but you're right, it's working now...   LOL, I don't know what happened.

Could it take a while to update the png images?

Troy Lass

Feb 14, 2020, 10:02:06 PM2/14/20
to weewx-user
Another silly question, what would cause the updates to stop like that?  It ran for a weekend with the new data logger attached to the console.  I moved the data logger to the envoy and in less than 24 hours it froze and stopped updating.  I did a weewx stop, wee_device --start , weewx start to get it going again.  I did not --clear-memory.  I think there's still an issue here I'm trying to find...

-Troy

Thomas Keffer

Feb 15, 2020, 9:08:04 AM2/15/20
to weewx-user
I guess I don't understand the problem. When I look at your website, http://www.deadduck.net/weather/, I see the last update at 07:05 AM, which is now (assuming you're on MST time). All of the images show 07:05.

Looks fine to me.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM Troy Lass <colo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Another silly question, what would cause the updates to stop like that?  It ran for a weekend with the new data logger attached to the console.  I moved the data logger to the envoy and in less than 24 hours it froze and stopped updating.  I did a weewx stop, wee_device --start , weewx start to get it going again.  I did not --clear-memory.  I think there's still an issue here I'm trying to find...

-Troy

Troy Lass

Feb 15, 2020, 7:05:37 PM2/15/20
to weewx-user
Ok, let me start over.  It's working properly now and it worked properly for 2 days then froze, the page was stuck with on the previous day and time.  The images were being written but the data was not updating.

I did the following....
weewx stop
wee_device --info
wee_device --start
weewx start

After this the data was pulled from the data logger as expected but for something like 2 hours the png files were not updated for the base index.html file, even though the images for the /mobilephone were being updated.  after some time,  over an hour, the images started to be updated with no further action from me.  If it just takes a while for it to get caught up I'm good, however I don't understand why I keep getting the page frozen on a day/time.  This is what started the whole debugging process before and caused me to think the data logger was bad.

When I ran on the console bypassing the datalogger with the following in the weewx.conf it ran without freezing but that was only while I was waiting for the new datalogger so only a couple days.

record_generation = software
no_catchup = True

When I opened this post the png images were not updating, but now they are and have been for a day.

What could cause the base page to keep from updating and it seems that a wee_device --start fixes?  I'm wondering if there may be an issue with the envoy I'm using now that could cause it to stop updating that would need a --start?

Andrew Milner

Feb 16, 2020, 12:05:18 AM2/16/20
to weewx-user
what browser are you using??  I have found recently that microsoft edge seems to have entered a world of its own and now appears to require frequent forced refresh of pages to get the png's to update (Using shift/ refresh)  This has been happening for the past 2-3 weeks and was never needed before.

Troy Lass

Feb 19, 2020, 5:31:23 PM2/19/20
to weewx-user
I was using Chrome, but I haven't had this issue again....  I don't believe this is a Weewx issue but was hoping there was someone that had seen this type of symptom before.  We'll see if it happens again....

Thanks everyone.
Troy