weewx-multi issue

Andrea Cecilia

Sep 12, 2019, 11:22:13 AM9/12/19
to weewx-user
Hi there,
I just have tried for few months the "weewx-multi" option with two Davis stations (1 VUE, 1 VP2). It worked great, but I often got a not negligible problem:
when a station gets plugged in, Raspbian gives it a port number (typically /dev/ttyUSBx), and in the specific case the two stations had got /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.

In the two weewx configuration files (.conf) you need to specify in which port the station is plugged in, and so I did.

However, it can happen that the Raspberry, for some reasons, reboots, and when this happens there is a risk: the two ports can maybe be exchanged, so that the station which was before in /dev/ttyUSB1 turns into /dev/ttyUSB0 and vice versa. In this way, the two databases get mixed.

So my question is: do you know if it is possible to assign a static USB port to an USB device like a Davis weather station?

Thank you for your attention,
Andrea

vince

Sep 12, 2019, 11:41:21 AM9/12/19
to weewx-user
Sounds like something udev rules might help with.

Look for the reply there by Mickael Hoareau

John Kline

Sep 12, 2019, 11:46:35 AM9/12/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
One can specify stable device names under /etc/udev/rules.d.

Weewx has sample files here:

I am unaware of the weewx-multi option.  If the devices are identical, you’ll need to differentiate them.  I have not needed to do this, but here’s a thread on the subject: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/udev-rules-to-differentiate-between-multiple-identical-devices-822879/