WeatherFlow - any feedback regarding WeeWX

Xant

Aug 29, 2019, 10:11:15 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user

Had difficulties with both Acurite and AmbientWeather regarding WeeWx performance.

Any feedback regarding WeatherFlow & WeeWX?

Best,
Xant

vince

Aug 29, 2019, 10:14:09 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user
On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 7:11:15 AM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
Any feedback regarding WeatherFlow & WeeWX?

Tastes great. Less filling.

It works just fine.

Xant

Aug 29, 2019, 10:27:18 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user

Thanks Vince

If I'm not mistaken, AmbientWeather w ObserverIP data cycles every 16seconds, while WeatherFlow every 60secs. Sure, it is a major (and long cycle, specially when compared with Davis).

But, if ObserverIP can not handle anything at all (as it seems happening), then WeatherFlow (as stable as you mentioned) then fine...

Thanks,
Xant

vince

Aug 29, 2019, 11:28:00 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user
On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 7:27:18 AM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, AmbientWeather w ObserverIP data cycles every 16seconds, while WeatherFlow every 60secs. Sure, it is a major (and long cycle, specially when compared with Davis).

You probably want to surf the WeatherFlow forums, but they measure every 60 secs, with 'rapid_wind' every 3 secs if you enable that.

Couple things to be aware of:
  • it doesn't work standalone without constant Internet connectivity, as the vendor pushes tuning to each sensor individually
  • the rain in particular is not accurate at all for most people, they currently have a next-day "rain check" thing that alters your daily total for the previous day based on some analysis of surrounding data.   So your weewx data on your server will not reflect reality for many kinds of rain (misty or very heavy usually, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern in what folks have reported)
So:
  • if you want a unit that is accurate out of the box 'without' the need for Internet connectivity, you want to pick another vendor.
  • if you need accurate rain in your weewx db, you probably want to pick another vendor at this time.

But it works nicely with weewx and it's kinda fun using their UDP API to listen to the data and explore other ways to save it and report it.  I wrote a UDP listener (on github) and save my data to influxdb and display with grafana, mainly as a learning exercise.  I also run weewx on a pi for more usual weewx kinds of things, although once again I have to mention that the rain data is raw data, not tweaked-after-the-fact data for rain.

So for me, it's been a lot of fun for a year+ on the programming side since I got mine, but 'today' if I had no station and was going to do it again, I'd go Davis Vue and just spend the extra $100 difference for out of the box just-plain-works.

Xant

Aug 30, 2019, 12:40:42 PM8/30/19
to weewx-user
Thanks for notes Vince

1) WeatherFlow

things I like (or intrigue):
  • no moving parts
  • sensors: brightness, UV index, solar irradiance, temp, humidity, pressure, lightning
  • UDP API
  • rain not a major issue
cons:
  • 60sec loop
cost:
  • seems Ok for a no-moving parts system (specially when compared to Davis)

2) Davis

Sure, I always see Davis as the "Cadillac" of PWSs, but at a price...

But still get confused by some things that are not clear to me (Vue or Pro):
  • although not needed, display seems way dated
  • which indeed in need, is computer connectivity, which seems low tech an extra cost
  • solar radiation and UV sensor only in the high price models (above $1,000)

Measured comparison of the 2 systems seems consistent:

So, if no other major feedback or concerns regarding the 2 units (or other systems advice), I might give WeatherFlow a try.

Thanks,
Xant

vince

Aug 30, 2019, 5:43:33 PM8/30/19
to weewx-user
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 9:40:42 AM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
So, if no other major feedback or concerns regarding the 2 units (or other systems advice), I might give WeatherFlow a try.

Check out their forums for many more details than I could ever remember off the top of my head.

I bought mine pre-launch was the UDP interface and the lack of moving parts.
  • I'm aware of those threads.  I was the last commenter a year ago in the third thread.  Some are a bit dated by now.
  • I believe the WF UDP driver's author is the second link.  I could provide a similar comparison on my site as well but never got around to it.
  • The wxforum link has a lot of comments from some of the more... typically a bit cranky (shall we say, to be polite)... folks with those units.   You'll recognize the writing style and usernames eventually.
My personal comparison of the WF vs. the VP2:
  • temperature and humidity - fine
  • wind - fine
  • rain - WF not good, not gonna get good in realtime in my opinion.  ok a day later after they adjust, but then why bother measuring bad raw rain data ?
    • (for 'me', living near Seattle, I really wanted accurate rain, so if I knew then what I know 'now' then I would not have bought a WF)
  • lightning - not great but uncertain if it's a limitation in the sensor from what I read.
  • solar/uv/brightness - reportedly so-so, but it's hard to say.  I don't have anything to compare it to here.
  • fit+finish - not 'quite' as good as the Davis but close.  Very solidly put together.
  • will it last - some WF manufacturing quality problems in initial batch, but customer support is fabulous replacing bad or failing units
  • customer support - excellent.   Just as good as Davis so far.  Very nice folks.
  • hands-off operation - you need batteries for the Air (reportedly 2-year life) otherwise ok
  • flexibility in mounting - the WF is 'very' sensitive to other than rock-solid mounting poles for the Sky and generates false rain.  VERY sensitive.
  • wifi -  hub connects with only 2.4 GHz wifi, no 5GHz wifi and no wired ethernet.
  • range - fine for residential, some folks claim insanely good range in long-range tests
  • programming interface - Davis really has none, WF has UDP (realtime) and Websockets and REST.  All work great.
  • console - Davis has their 1964-style one.  WF has none.
  • interface with computer - Davis makes you buy the logger (ugh) but that 'does' keep a week+ of data if you lose the computer.
  • phone/mobile apps - WF has them, but if you upload weewx to anywhere you can get the same effect for Davis
  • moving parts - WF has none, Davis has the anemometer and tipper (although they last for 10+ years)
  • size: WF has two similarly sized sensors (Air = must be in shade, not weatherproof, and Sky = for solar/wind/rain), Vue has a bigger integrated sensor suite.
That said, the WF sure is pretty looking and easy to set up.  Basically if you can mount it 'very' solidly and you're ok with uncertain realtime rain accuracy, it's certainly a nice unit for that price point.

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 1:04:47 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Just got WF... so far, Im impress...

Pros:
  • much sensors than any other, at this price point
  • MQTT updates at <3secs (maybe due to wind, but looks like a Davis); I never had MQTT turn-out that quick... besides the 60sec actual loop update timeframe (weewx website seems much quicker than "is"....; but that is a good thing... others lag till MQTT "connects")
  • easy to install an NO moving parts (impressive... other "early" sellers were charging $1,000+ (without all this sensors) for the same "no moving feature"
  • splitting in 2 units (actually 3 if you count Hub), it counts for REAL OutTemp, as temp sensor does not have to be exposed in direct Sun (without the need of any "radiator")

Cons:
  • NOT Static IP (commooooonnnn....; specially for us WeeWX peps!; it works other-else, but rather have Static)
  • NOT net hard-wire to Hub (as I would prefer, but only WiFi)

As for this post, it seems "I can leave with the Cons, but would appreciate even more if addressed.

So far, better than Acurite Atlas, better than Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP (with ObserverIP).

Dont get me wrong... Atlas and WS-1550-IP are great price-point for the regular Weather Home... but not for the WeeWX geek.

Xant

Pat

Sep 3, 2019, 7:56:57 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
I don't have a WF, but the lack of static IP may not be an issue if your router is able to do DHCP Reservations.

If you can get the MAC Address of the device, and set a DHCP Reservation for it, then the device will get the same IP every time it renews its DHCP lease. This is how I manage all my IoT devices (since most of those cannot be set to static).

vince

Sep 3, 2019, 10:24:27 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 10:04:47 PM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
  • MQTT updates at <3secs (maybe due to wind, but looks like a Davis); I never had MQTT turn-out that quick... besides the 60sec actual loop update timeframe (weewx website seems much quicker than "is"....; but that is a good thing... others lag till MQTT "connects")
Only the wind refreshes at 3 secs 'if' you have rapid_wind set on.   Everything else is 60 secs.  There are device status messages that are every 10 seconds if I remember correctly.   They're kind of fun to watch.

My UDP listener is at https://github.com/vinceskahan/weatherflow-udp-listener if you want to see what the hub's sending in more detail.  Also check the WF UDP API docs online at https://weatherflow.github.io/SmartWeather/api/udp/v114/ for the gory details.

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 11:59:30 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Pat

Yes, I'm much familiar with Static Lease IP and addressed to WF.

The comment was the lack of jack net port, as it is a net Hub, and I do prefer hard-wire when possible (stability, static IP, etc).

Xant

PS: Thanks much for Belchertown skin! Nice, elegant and clean (I crossed by other day going to Boston on 90).

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 12:05:06 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user

Vince

Yes... aware of 3secs for Wind, and 60 for data loop. But it is interesting that the 3sec Wind kicks MQTT (that's why mentioned "looks like Davis") :P

So far, and for the price point, enjoying WF.

Returned both Acurite Atlas (Atlas had a UV sensor problem, which seems an unusual instance) and Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP (ObserverIP gets overwhelmed with WeeWX in just a few days; a firmware update was supposed to fix the problem, but not).

Xant

Xant

Oct 9, 2019, 11:02:24 PM10/9/19
to weewx-user
Davis is known as the "cadillac" (prestige) of PWSs. Measurement seems precise at short time rate update. I can not advocate, as I never own one, due to pricing, outdated display and extra interface.

I went through few "budget" PWSs, that is Acurite (5x1, Atlas) and Ambient Weather (ws-1550-ip).

1) Acurite 5x1 served me for many years, till fail due to age and weather exposure --> recycle pile

2) Acurite Atlas, the natural update, had a sensor malfunction - and no extra sensors (as solar radiation) for nowadays --> returned

3) Ambient Weather WS-1550-IP its an interesting option for the price. But ObserverIP gets "overload" after just a day or two, and not suitable for WeeWX application --> returned
ObserverIP firmware problem is a known issue (even by the developer), said to be resolved, but NOT. Upon return, this was NOT acknowledged and charged for the return besides proof of difficulties (avoid!).

My current recommendation is WeatherFlow Smart PWS. At a "budget" and on top of the "usual" measuring sensors, WeatherFlow has also sensors for Radiation, UV, Illuminance and Lightning. And most important.... at NO moving parts! (similar options would cost a lot more).

No matter what you choose, and also to note, verify that your PWS of choice has a working WeeWX driver (very important!). All the above works with WeeWX.

Xant

vince

Oct 10, 2019, 12:14:40 PM10/10/19
to weewx-user
On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 8:02:24 PM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
Davis is known as the "cadillac" (prestige) of PWSs. Measurement seems precise at short time rate update. I can not advocate, as I never own one, due to pricing, outdated display and extra interface.

You've cross-posted the same thing about 4 times recently....