Can we upgrade to WeeWX 5.0x WITHOUT MAJOR RISK?

Remy Lavabre

Feb 17, 2024, 3:59:19 AMFeb 17
to weewx-user
Good morning,

I've been seeing various problems (mainly access rights?) for some time with the 5.x update.

For a configuration in 4.10.2 on Pi with Bulleyes 64B, does the transition to 5.x present risks of malfunction with the use of a modified base skin (Seasons) but above all:

- A personalized driver which retrieves Awekas data from the station via the internet as well as various other parameters from the Pi (temperature, memory, SSD status etc.) but also data on external counter modules;

- An alarm generator (multialarm.py) allowing you to be notified based on precise weather criteria defined in advance

- the excellent alltimeSeasons skin made by Glenn Mckechnie

With experience, are there checks to be made before to avoid surprises afterwards...?

Thank you so much... ;-)

michael.k...@gmx.at

Feb 17, 2024, 4:11:41 AMFeb 17
to weewx-user
You can upgrade without any risk. Just follow the instructions in the quickstart guide for pip: https://www.weewx.com/docs/5.0/quickstarts/pip/ and install the new version in a venv, as described there.

Your present installation won't be affected, as long they don't require any exclusive access to resources, such as direct exclusive access to devices, or servers on distinct local ports.

michael.k...@gmx.at

Feb 17, 2024, 4:12:54 AMFeb 17
to weewx-user
...and keep the old installation running on the same machine!

Karen K

Feb 17, 2024, 6:14:12 AMFeb 17
to weewx-user
I would suggest creating a backup first. Backups are always a good idea, independent of what you want to do. You will surely beat yourself if you have not created it. This includes a whole copy of the hard disk.