Newbie Looking For Hardware Recommendations

Anthony

Jun 29, 2020, 3:16:28 PM6/29/20
to weewx-user
Hello!

I am interested in starting down the rabbit hole that is weather stations and data logging.  I've had a simple weather station for about 10 years (a simple indoor and outdoor temperature probe setup with standalone display), but this weather station recently bit the dust.  I figure it's time to step up.  I'm a geek/nerd by nature (sysadmin by trade) and the idea that I can build a WeeWX server and collect local weather data sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm looking at the list of supported hardware (http://weewx.com/hardware.html) and my head is starting to spin, heh.  I'm hoping the fine folks of this list can help point me in a direction.

I'm looking for a setup that meets the following requirements:

    - A "dummy resistant" local display for the family.
    - Multiple datapoints...Temp, wind speed, wind direction, rain gauge, relative humidity
    - The ability to collect data "off the grid".  Meaning, I don't want to be dependent on any sort of "cloud" service.

Some things that would be nice, but are definitely not required:

    - Lightning detection would be neat, I think.  Or at least the ability to *add* a lightning detection sensor.
    - Hard-wired sensor array (I am no stranger to pulling cable).  My philosophy is that if it's a fixed device, it is cabled. :-D

I don't have a particular budget in mind.  My initial gut is to try to spend no more than ~$200 or so (excluding installation stuffs), but this is flexible if there is compelling reasons to expand the budget.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

~ Anthony

VE4PER / Andy

Jun 29, 2020, 4:49:52 PM6/29/20
to weewx-user

FYI for the group

Jun 29, 2020, 8:33:53 PM6/29/20
to weewx-user
I think you should strongly consider the Ecowitt HP2551.
Greatly expandable to even more fun and sensors later on.

Anthony Hoppe

Jun 30, 2020, 11:17:39 AM6/30/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information, Andy! When you pull data using the AcuRite
1035, does it pull data locally (like, do you have WeeWX pointed to its
local IP and/or directly connected to some serial/USB adapter?) or are
you pulling data from one of the hosted services it reports to?
>> <mailto:weewx-user+...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/dcbb9df8-5506-4845-b85d-63edbc224f32o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/27ac3e60-9878-67b0-5517-c0075d16a83c%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/27ac3e60-9878-67b0-5517-c0075d16a83c%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Anthony Hoppe

Jun 30, 2020, 11:19:11 AM6/30/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I will definitely look into this one. Thanks for sharing, galfert.
When pulling data from the HP2551, are you able to pull data locally, or
do you have to pull it from one of the hosted services it reports to?

galfert

Jun 30, 2020, 8:16:26 PM6/30/20
to weewx-user
The Ecowitt HP2551 has a "Customized" server upload feature. You can use that to point to your WeeWX system and then the WeeWX system with the Interceptor driver installed will pick up the data directly from the console.

Anthony Hoppe

Jul 1, 2020, 12:09:06 AM7/1/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Ooo. That is *very* nice to know. Thanks for sharing! I very well may
start with the Ecowitt HP2551...
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/67b2697c-20aa-4d90-9966-9966ec8cf2e0o%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/67b2697c-20aa-4d90-9966-9966ec8cf2e0o%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

jhn.p...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2020, 1:53:16 PM7/4/20
to weewx-user
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 8:17:39 AM UTC-7 Anthony wrote:
Thanks for the information, Andy! When you pull data using the AcuRite
1035, does it pull data locally (like, do you have WeeWX pointed to its
local IP and/or directly connected to some serial/USB adapter?) or are
you pulling data from one of the hosted services it reports to?

The AccuRite 5-in-1 I have, the display panel is directly connected to WeeWX via USB, WeeWX polls it for the weather data via an accurite specific protocol, stores the weather data in a sqlite or mysql database, and optionally updates a webpage and/or weather underground.    you are not using the AccuRite software (awful) at all.   I'm running WeeWx on a Raspberry Pi 3B.  I have WeeWX writing the weather to a MySQL database server in a 'jail' on my FreeNAS home file server, rather than storing a local sqlite database on the SD card in the Pi, since i've had SD cards fail within a year of minute by minute updates.

galfert

Jul 4, 2020, 7:01:19 PM7/4/20
to weewx-user
It isn't the minute by minute update that kills the SD card, rather the OS that is hammering away at the SD card in a much worse way than the minute by minute update. Of course the minute by minute update doesn't help but that part is minor compared to what the OS is doing.

John Pierce

Jul 4, 2020, 7:16:55 PM7/4/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I did move my /var/log to a ramdisk.     since the rpi isn't doing anythng but running weewx, I don't expect there is much other writing to it.

oh, and I got a high write endurance microSD card, too, after killing my first one.

thats something I hate about SD cards and USB Sticks, they don't have any diagnostics ala smartctl, so there's no way of knowing how much write endurance they have left.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 4:01 PM galfert <gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
It isn't the minute by minute update that kills the SD card, rather the OS that is hammering away at the SD card in a much worse way than the minute by minute update. Of course the minute by minute update doesn't help but that part is minor compared to what the OS is doing.

-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz

Tom Keffer

Jul 4, 2020, 8:02:46 PM7/4/20
to weewx-user
A quality SD card makes all the difference. I've been running an instance of weewx since 2014 on a SanDisk Extreme Plus without any problems. Uptime is currently 530 days!

-tk

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "weewx-user" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/CAJnkzXKJPcxaDVBBD_2xWjA5o5w04jQi9HeywyuX0K8aKgoSow%40mail.gmail.com.

Kevin Davis

Jul 4, 2020, 9:58:53 PM7/4/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Out of curiosity, what are you running for backup power?  Surely you’re power has flickered enough to almost two years to trigger a reboot.

vince

Jul 4, 2020, 11:15:15 PM7/4/20
to weewx-user
On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 6:58:53 PM UTC-7, Kevin Davis wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are you running for backup power?  Surely you’re power has flickered enough to almost two years to trigger a reboot.

Not necessarily.   My Seagate Dockstar running weewx has been up 1289 days (really) since the last power loss here, but it's a spinning disk and I've reset weewx itself a number of times doing updates.

Tom Keffer

Jul 4, 2020, 11:27:12 PM7/4/20
to weewx-user
I use a 750 VA UPS. About $80 from Amazon.

I live in a windy place, with above ground power lines. Power outages are inevitable, despite being located only 15 miles from a massive hydroelectric dam.

A UPS is essential for reliability.

Graham Eddy

Jul 4, 2020, 11:52:25 PM7/4/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
when you follow the wires you’ll probably find you are more than 200 km from the dam! :-)

need for UPS:
interesting weather → unreliable external power supply → provide own power during interesting events
____________
Graham Eddy

John Pierce

Jul 5, 2020, 12:08:31 AM7/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, 8:52 PM Graham Eddy <graha...@gmail.com> wrote:
when you follow the wires you’ll probably find you are more than 200 km from the dam! :-)

need for UPS:
interesting weather → unreliable external power supply → provide own power during interesting events

Indeed.   My rpi running weewx and the acurite display panel share a SmartUPS 1500 with the FreeNAS server hosting the MySQL database server and my PC workstation as well as the Ethernet switch connecting it all, it's good for at least 4 hours.  6-8 hours if I shut the PC off, but I usually fire up my generator during extended power outages.

Graham Eddy

Jul 5, 2020, 12:23:21 AM7/5/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
i have one UPS on my internet access (fixed wireless link, can’t do much when the infrastructure tower loses power) and another UPS on my low-power servers (monitors etc not on UPS - client access from laptops with their own batteries). yep, power outages common out here in the bush

data logger on vantage pro2 with its own AA battery backup → no need for generator to avoid weather data loss for very long outages

Anthony Hoppe

Jul 27, 2020, 1:55:39 PM7/27/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know if the "Ambient Weather WS-2902B WiFi Smart Weather
Station"
(https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI/) is
compatible with WeeWX? I don't see it on the "Supported Hardware" list
(or any Ambient Weather products), but figured I'd ask just in case...

John Pierce

Jul 27, 2020, 2:28:34 PM7/27/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
that looks like one of those which uploads directly to the vendor's 'cloud' without any external software, and *requires* a android/iphone for configuration (no provision for doing anything with a PC or laptop)

galfert

Jul 27, 2020, 8:51:15 PM7/27/20
to weewx-user
If you get or have a WS-2902B and you want to connect it to WeeWX you have two ways to do it.

The easy way:
- be sure to also buy the Ecowitt GW1000 as this will pick up the sensor array of the WS-2902B and it will provide this data to WeeWX (then use the Interceptor driver or the new GW1000 API driver).

The hard way:
- Put the WS-2902B on your network where you can mirror a network port (requires networking expertise) and then send data to WeeWX with the use of the Interceptor driver. Or you can put the WS-2902B console behind a hotspot run by a Raspberry Pi and then capture data that way, but this removes the WS-2902B management to an isolated WiFi network on the Pi and that makes management a bit of a kludge with your mobile device that will then need to jump to that WiFi in order to manage services on the WS-2902B console....This is both messy, complicated and requires networking expertise. If this was greek to you then stick the the easy way and just get a GW1000 for your WS-2902B ....or maybe forget the WS-2902B altogether and just get a GW1001 if you don't need the display.