Acurite Atlas Help

Paul Levin

Sep 2, 2019, 9:07:50 AM9/2/19
to weewx-user
Hi,

I've been trying unsuccessfully to install weewx on my Raspberry Pi 4.I have an Acurite Atlas and Access.

My problem I believe lies in the is the configuration file entries. I have Weather Station Type = Simulator and device _type = wu-client. I previously tried Acurite-Bridge, but that didn't work either.

At best, I was able to bring up the simulation web page, but never a page with my own data. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Tor rin

Sep 2, 2019, 10:48:05 PM9/2/19
to weewx-user
You are going to need to give us a lot more information on your setup (what is plugged into what, how are you capturing the data), your configuration file and logs after you turn on debug in your weewx.cfg file.

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 12:42:24 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Interceptor Driver by Matthew Wall:

Xant

Paul Levin

Sep 3, 2019, 8:00:07 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
OK. Let me try that driver. Do I set this up in "listen" or "sniff" mode?
Thanks.
 -- Paul

Pat

Sep 3, 2019, 8:06:00 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Try listen mode and see if you get any results.

According to the documentation, Listen mode should work without installing any other dependant software

Paul Levin

Sep 3, 2019, 8:09:01 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Pat. I'll try that first.
-- Paul

Paul Levin

Sep 3, 2019, 10:25:51 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Pat,I can't install the driver. I have downloaded it, but I have 2 issues.

1. after the command, install "weewx-interceptor.zip" it returns "missing destination file operand"

2. I can't make any changes to /etc/weewx/weewx.conf file because I get permission denied errors.

Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts! Thanks

vince

Sep 3, 2019, 10:31:06 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 7:25:51 AM UTC-7, Paul Levin wrote:
Pat,I can't install the driver. I have downloaded it, but I have 2 issues.

1. after the command, install "weewx-interceptor.zip" it returns "missing destination file operand"

You're going to have to tell us the precise command you tried to use.  It's probably a typo in your command.

2. I can't make any changes to /etc/weewx/weewx.conf file because I get permission denied errors.

Permission-denied errors are always a new pi user who neglects to use 'sudo' in their commands that write to privileged places on the filesystem.

Paul Levin

Sep 3, 2019, 11:51:53 AM9/3/19
to weewx-user

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 10:31:06 AM UTC-4, vince wrote:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 7:25:51 AM UTC-7, Paul Levin wrote:
Pat,I can't install the driver. I have downloaded it, but I have 2 issues.

1. after the command, install "weewx-interceptor.zip" it returns "missing destination file operand"

You're going to have to tell us the precise command you tried to use.  It's probably a typo in your command.
 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ install weewx-interceptor.zip
install: missing destination file operand after 'weewx-interceptor.zip'

2. I can't make any changes to /etc/weewx/weewx.conf file because I get permission denied errors.
OK - I managed to change the directory permissions, at least temporarily by sudo chmod 777 /etc/weewx/weewx.conf

After that, I installed the interceptor driver, restarted weewx and now, I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

not Permission-denied errors are always a new pi user who neglects to use 'sudo' in their commands that write to privileged places on the filesystem.

vince

Sep 3, 2019, 12:07:26 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:51:53 AM UTC-7, Paul Levin wrote:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 10:31:06 AM UTC-4, vince wrote:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 7:25:51 AM UTC-7, Paul Levin wrote:
Pat,I can't install the driver. I have downloaded it, but I have 2 issues.

1. after the command, install "weewx-interceptor.zip" it returns "missing destination file operand"

You're going to have to tell us the precise command you tried to use.  It's probably a typo in your command.
 pi@raspberrypi:~ $ install weewx-interceptor.zip
install: missing destination file operand after 'weewx-interceptor.zip'

Oh, you definitely typo'd that big-time.

Correct command would have been:
    sudo /usr/share/weewx/wee_extension --install weewx-interceptor.zip

    (I might have that full path wrong from memory)

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 12:23:30 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user

Paul

If you succeeded in use the installer, it may have adjusted your 'weewx.conf' already. If not, include the following:

[Interceptor]
    # This section is for the network traffic interceptor driver.

    # The driver to use:
    driver = user.interceptor

    # Specify the hardware device to capture.  Options include:
    #   acurite-bridge - acurite internet bridge, smarthub, or access
    #   observer - fine offset WH2600/HP1000/HP1003, ambient WS2902
    #   lw30x - oregon scientific LW301/LW302
    #   lacrosse-bridge - lacrosse GW1000U/C84612 internet bridge
    #   wu-client - any hardware that uses the weather underground protocol
    device_type = wu-client
    mode = listen
    port = 80

As the above, I used to use 'mode = listen'.

Also, certify that 'station_type = Interceptor'

Start WeeWX and verify status/log.

If all seems Ok, double-check by command underneath (as mentioned in driver notes):

PYTHONPATH=bin python bin/user/interceptor.py --device=acurite-bridge --mode=sniff --iface=eth0 --filter="src [Station-IP] and dst port 80"

Xant

Paul Levin

Sep 3, 2019, 3:40:04 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Xant and others. Thank you for your time, but nothing seems to work. It would be great if someone who is using an atlas would care to share their config file. If I saw it, I'd probably be on my way to getting this up and running.
-- Paul

Tor rin

Sep 3, 2019, 4:19:08 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user
I am using the sniff mode, but I have a network switch set up with port mirroring:  I added the pcap filter as I run multiple weather stations and do not want to get the other stations data going to wunderground.

[Interceptor]
    # This section is for the network traffic interceptor driver.
    #
    #     # The driver to use:
    driver = user.interceptor
    #
    # Specify the hardware device to capture.  Options include:
    #  acurite-bridge - acurite internet bridge, smarthub, or access
    #   observer - fine offset WH2600/HP1000/HP1003, ambient WS2902
    #   lw30x - oregon scientific LW301/LW302
    #   lacrosse-bridge - lacrosse GW1000U/C84612 internet bridge
    #   wu-client - any hardware that uses the weather underground protocol
    device_type = wu-client
    mode = sniff
    iface = eth0
    pcap_filter = src 192.168.7.128 and dst port 80

Xant

Sep 3, 2019, 6:40:55 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user

Paul

I start to suspect that the problem may not be WeeWX itself, but router.

Are you trying Hijack DNS? Did you setup iptables?

Xant

Pat

Sep 3, 2019, 7:55:23 PM9/3/19
to weewx-user
Paul, the driver is very well documented. It might make sense to spend some time and read the instructions. It will help you get setup and understand what's going on. Otherwise, we'll need to see some debugs, some configs and more detail aside from "it's not working".