need to modify daily rain in weewx.sdb

Bob Grattan

May 2, 2020, 11:50:45 AM5/2/20
to weewx-user
Hello,
I have a constant battle with my VP2 tipping bucket rain gauge as it often gets clogged with trash. I check it against an accurate manual gauge to make sure it's reasonable since I know tipping buckets have problems.
I would like suggestions for the following:

1.  An easy way to modify weewx.sdb when I need to modify the rain amount. I have used DB Browser (SQLite) in the past but am not certain this is the easiest. If possible, I want to avoid the SQL search/modify mode as my skills are limited.

2. Once the "rain" amount in weewx.sdb is modified, how do I get the system to incorporate the new total in the various displays such as for month and year? In wview I was able to erase certain indexes and they were recreated using the new values from the db; however, I'm not sure how this works in weewx.

I am running weewx 3.x.x (latest using "setup") on Ubuntu 18 and my station is a Davis VP2+.

Thanks for your help. Please take care and stay safe in these difficult times.

Bob

vince

May 2, 2020, 12:36:37 PM5/2/20
to weewx-user
On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 8:50:45 AM UTC-7, Bob Grattan wrote:
1.  An easy way to modify weewx.sdb when I need to modify the rain amount. I have used DB Browser (SQLite) in the past but am not certain this is the easiest. If possible, I want to avoid the SQL search/modify mode as my skills are limited.

2. Once the "rain" amount in weewx.sdb is modified, how do I get the system to incorporate the new total in the various displays such as for month and year? In wview I was able to erase certain indexes and they were recreated using the new values from the db; however, I'm not sure how this works in weewx.

I would recommend you 'do' use sqlite3 search/modify commands 'and' try to extend your skills.  The time will be well spent.   It's very straightforward once you get over the fear/uncertainty hurdle.

Definitely work off of a copy of your weewx database to become comfortable with the few steps in the procedure.

Graham Eddy

May 2, 2020, 9:09:04 PM5/2/20
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
wview was brilliant in its time but it was brittle.
weewx is a lot more forgiving and flexible so “having a bit of a fiddle” is fine (as long as you save the master data beforehand :-)
the biggest rigidity removed was wview’s reliance on invariant archiveInterval - weewx is happy to intermix timestamps so you need not fear getting *every* record *exactly right*

with respect to database, weewx like wview can regenerate everything from the core data.
keep the ‘archive’ table intact, and there are a couple of weewx tools that will rebuild (or expand) everything

in this context, using sql directly on database is relatively safe
(just slide saved copy back into place if it gets stuffed up)

Bob Grattan

May 3, 2020, 10:24:52 AM5/3/20
to weewx-user
Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!  Bob