Installing Weewx on a Raspberry Pi with a Weatherlink Live

troutwitted

Mar 8, 2021, 5:00:34 PM3/8/21
to weewx-user
folks,

complete newbie here and wondering if anyone's put together a step-by-step for installing weewx on a raspberry pi (4B) to speak to a Davis Weatherlink Live. I see a lot of threads and working out of problems, but I'm wondering if anyone's done a soup-to-nuts explainer, including weatherlink live extension.

thanks in advance. appreciate it.

John Mora

Mar 8, 2021, 8:05:30 PM3/8/21
to weewx-user
There is no step by step installation instruction that I am aware of for weewx with the weather link live extension. I installed weewx for my Davis Vantage Vue and Weather Link Live by following the directions given by weewx and by the maker of the Weather Link Live extension that I used. It's not very difficult. I would say that you give it a shot and if you run into any issues, then ask for assistance with the specific issue that you are having.

Good luck.

gjr80

Mar 8, 2021, 8:37:29 PM3/8/21
to weewx-user
It really is just a two step process; first install WeeWX and make sure it is working error free with the simulator and second install the Weather Link Live driver of your choice. The WeeWX install instructions should be pretty clear and are well trod. There are five Weather Link Live drivers listed in the wiki and each seems to have reasonable installation instructions. Be aware though that only three of them have marked as tested under WeeWX4/python3; that doesn't mean the others won't work under WeeWX4/python3, just that they may not have been tested under WeeWX4/python3 and certainly they have not been marked as tested.

Gary

troutwitted

Mar 8, 2021, 10:59:20 PM3/8/21
to weewx-user
Thank you both. I’m sure I’ll be back. Appreciate it.

troutwitted

Mar 9, 2021, 11:51:28 PM3/9/21
to weewx-user
ok, i'm just installing now and I've come upon this line:
To specify an install location different from the default /home/weewx, modify the parameter home in the setup.cfg file. Mac users will want to change it to /Users/Shared/weewx.

I'm a Mac user, largely a software idiot, but it's not clear to me why I will want to change the setup.cfg file to change from the default /home/weewx. Can I trouble one of you to explain to me why I should do it and perhaps the easiest way to modify the file, if you don't mind. Thanks very much.

Graham Eddy

Mar 10, 2021, 12:59:07 AM3/10/21
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
macos puts users under /Users, linux puts them under /home. windoze has its convention for users too

troutwitted

Mar 10, 2021, 7:44:05 AM3/10/21
to weewx-user
Yes, got it, thanks.

troutwitted

Mar 10, 2021, 11:45:43 AM3/10/21
to weewx-user
I went through the weewx installation and things seemed to go okay until I tried to test it by entering variations on this:

since I'm on a Mac, I also tried /Users/Shared....no joy.

any ideas how I should troubleshoot this? I've looked at logs and can see weewx entries:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

Mar 10 11:08:14 BrooklynWX colord[459]: failed to get session [pid 354]: No data available

Mar 10 11:08:18 BrooklynWX dhcpcd[382]: eth0: no IPv6 Routers available

Mar 10 11:08:27 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: systemd-fsckd.service: Succeeded.

Mar 10 11:08:43 BrooklynWX systemd-timesyncd[299]: Synchronized to time server for the first time 193.150.34.2:123 (2.debian.pool.ntp.org).

Mar 10 11:08:50 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: Succeeded.

Mar 10 11:17:01 BrooklynWX CRON[693]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

Mar 10 11:23:28 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...

Mar 10 11:23:29 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service: Succeeded.

Mar 10 11:23:29 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: Started Cleanup of Temporary Directories.

Mar 10 11:40:46 BrooklynWX systemd[1]: Started Session 4 of user pi.

thanks in advance

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 12:10:16 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
another stupid question: I've installed raspbian on a pi, then installed weewx and am now ready to install the weatherlink live extension.

I'm using this command:

wee_extension --install=

but I don't know what the exact file that will execute the install because all I can see after getting the weatherlink extension onto the pi is a file called simply Weewx-weatherlink-live and when I put that at the end of the extension command, I get no file/director:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/weewx/user/weatherlink_live/__init__.py'

any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Karen K

Mar 11, 2021, 12:23:27 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
Where you stored the downloaded driver installation file?

I am not sure if that is the case, but you must not store that file in /usr/share/weewx/user.

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 1:29:13 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
thanks, Karen.

I downloaded the weatherlink extension package to just a new folder /code. perhaps that was stupid.

Karen K

Mar 11, 2021, 1:37:51 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
No, it was not. It is important, to not store the downloaded file(s) to /usr/share/weewx/user.

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 2:00:23 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
I guess I'm curious what kind of file weewx-weatherlink-live is? I'd have more confidence if I saw an extension from that name.

vince

Mar 11, 2021, 2:43:50 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:00:23 AM UTC-8 troutwitted wrote:
I guess I'm curious what kind of file weewx-weatherlink-live is? I'd have more confidence if I saw an extension from that name.

Uncertain what you're asking or why.

There is an extension named that at https://github.com/michael-slx/weewx-weatherlink-live if you want to see its document and contents.  You can surf the repo in a web browser to poke around if that helps any.

Procedure is like every other driver.  You download the software someplace, then use wee_extension to install it, then restart weewx.   In this case a quick read seems to say you need to do some editing to your weewx.conf file to configure the driver before doing your weewx restart.  Pretty typical.

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 5:46:33 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user

thanks, Vince. the problem I'm having is that when I issue what I think is the right command and path to install the extension, I'm still getting a file not found error and I'm stumped about how to fix it. basically, I'm looking for the right command to install /code/weewx-weatherlink-live

John Kline

Mar 11, 2021, 5:58:59 PM3/11/21
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
If you installed the latest release, the command is:
wee_extension --install weewx-weatherlink-live-v1.0.5.tar.xz

If you cloned the git repository into, for example, /home/foo/bar/weewx-weatherlink-live, use the command:
wee_extension --install /home/foo/bar/weewx-weatherlink-live
or cd to /home/foo/bar/weewx-weatherlink-live and then type:
wee_extension --install .

Artvd

Mar 11, 2021, 6:04:14 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user

Perhaps you need to copy the path and paste that where after install. You may also have to find the path to the wee_extension and use that. And use sudo.
It would be something like this : sudo /usr/bin/wee_extension --install /home/pi/Downloads/weewx-weatherlinklive.zip

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 6:37:46 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
or cd to /home/foo/bar/weewx-weatherlink-live and then type:
wee_extension --install .

that one worked. bless you both. appreciate it.

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 6:40:31 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
actually, I spoke too soon because when I tried to list extensions, nothing appeared and I just realized I got this error:

wee_extension: error: --install option requires 1 argument

John Kline

Mar 11, 2021, 6:57:01 PM3/11/21
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Did you miss the period at the end of the line?  It is required.

On Mar 11, 2021, at 3:40 PM, troutwitted <jareds...@gmail.com> wrote:

actually, I spoke too soon because when I tried to list extensions, nothing appeared and I just realized I got this error:

vince

Mar 11, 2021, 7:42:50 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
You might want to reread the usage.

wee_extension --list
or
wee_extension --install [somepathnamehere]

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 7:55:04 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
yessir, I did miss it. thank you so much.

as you can tell, I have no idea what I'm doing. but when I ran the command, I still got file not found. for what it's worth, I started to look through the files and noticed that the /weatherlink_link/ folder in the following path doesn't appear to exist. maybe this is totally normal, but I found the __init__.py file in the /user/ folder and there appears to be no /weatherlink_link/.

No such file or directory: '/usr/share/weewx/user/weatherlink_live/__init__.py'

and just for reference, this was the full result of the attempted install

/code/weewx-weatherlink-live $ wee_extension --install .

Request to install '.'

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension", line 88, in <module>

    main()

  File "/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension", line 80, in main

    ext.install_extension(options.install)

  File "/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/extension.py", line 132, in install_extension

    self.install_from_dir(extension_path)

  File "/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/extension.py", line 183, in install_from_dir

    shutil.copy(source_path, destination_path)

  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/shutil.py", line 245, in copy

    copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)

  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/shutil.py", line 121, in copyfile

    with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/weewx/user/weatherlink_live/__init__.py'

troutwitted

Mar 11, 2021, 10:28:13 PM3/11/21
to weewx-user
all set, thanks. works.