Profile GPU performance on mobile

Remy Bouquet

Jun 11, 2021, 5:05:43 PM6/11/21
to WebGL Dev List
Hello, I'm a 3D developer at Sketchfab, and we are trying to profile GPU performance on mobile.We are using webgl2 and on desktop we are able to use  EXT_disjoint_timer_query with chrome or firefox, even if they have to be enabled by switching a couple of flags.

However on mobile I couldn't find a way to enable this extension. I know that it has been disabled to mitigate specter kind of attack, but I read somewhere that enabling Strict site isolation in chrome (https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/site-isolation) would enable it, but it didn't. I also tried to enable "Webgl Draft extensions" flag, with the same result.
Informations on this issue, on the web, are quite difficult to figure out because things seems to have moved quite a bit over the years. And it's hard to have a picture of the real situation today.

So I was wondering if this extension was available in any way on mobile, or would be in a near future.
Or maybe there is another way, that I'm not aware of, to test webgl2 GPU performance on mobile? How other developers do it?

Thank you

Rémy

Ken Russell

Jun 11, 2021, 6:17:50 PM6/11/21
to WebGL Dev List
Hi Remy,

Thanks for asking about this. There was a definite intent to re-enable these extensions on Android once site isolation shipped there; see https://crbug.com/870491 . We'll revisit this now.

In the interim, if you can build Chromium for Android, you could remove the lines which disable this extension:

-Ken