Looking for Android port testers with Lollipop 5.0 devices

Kai Hendry

Feb 3, 2015, 4:45:57 AM2/3/15
to webc-users
Hi guys,

I've been quietly been working on an Android port of Webconverger:
https://github.com/webconverger/android

I think it's ready for some basic testing. If you have a Android 5.0
device, please give it a whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Iu9IhVU7w

Kind regards,

Guttorm Flatabø

Feb 3, 2015, 5:21:37 AM2/3/15
to Webconverger forum
This is looking good!

I see (lots of) usage potential now, and it should be easier to install an app, rather than an OS. Don't have any Lollipop device yet, but will try as soon as Cyanogenmod and the like have upgraded.

One concrete use scenario is tablets for exhibit terminals in museums. The Norwegian Glacier Museum f. ex. uses iPads to show information in many languages for each exhibit in the exhibition. I suspect they're using a dedicated app, and Android tablets are way cheaper than iPads. There are of course many other museums using touch terminals as the exhibit itself where this could also be used.

Kai Hendry

Feb 4, 2015, 3:17:12 AM2/4/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guttorm,

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, at 06:21 PM, Guttorm Flatabø wrote:
> I see (lots of) usage potential now, and it should be easier to install
> an
> app, rather than an OS. Don't have any Lollipop device yet, but will try
> as
> soon as Cyanogenmod and the like have upgraded.

Yes, unfortunately Lollipop aka Android 5.0 roll out seems pretty slow.
I hope you manage to get on it!

The previous < Android 5.0 way of not using
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-5.0.html#ScreenPinning
was to create a Home screen launcher. Which can be a little finicky to
setup/deploy and quite a bit uglier to code AFAICT.

> One concrete use scenario is tablets for exhibit terminals in museums.
> The
> Norwegian Glacier Museum f. ex. uses iPads to show information in many
> languages for each exhibit in the exhibition. I suspect they're using a
> dedicated app, and Android tablets are way cheaper than iPads. There are
> of
> course many other museums using touch terminals as the exhibit itself
> where
> this could also be used.

Yes, Android 5.0 tablet + Webconverger would be cheaper than an Apple
based solution.

There are also Android 5.0 devices as large as TVs coming out I'm told.

So exciting stuff!

I also need to find time to create a fresh Webconverger for the rpi2.
https://twitter.com/webconverger/status/562177857502208000
It will be using gitfs + systemd + rpi foundation's webkit hacks I guess

Kind regards,

Márcio Massula Junior

Aug 28, 2015, 4:05:38 PM8/28/15
to Webconverger Users
I've installed it on a Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 (stock ROM from Samsung), and I have a noob question: is there any way to get out from Webconverger Android after it is started?

I know the main ideia is lock the device completely, but maybe, in this initial phase, someone (like me ;) need to come back to Android environment.

Kai Hendry

Aug 28, 2015, 8:33:31 PM8/28/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Back & Overview keys together!

Made a video for you too: https://youtu.be/93upTf5D_Kg :)

Márcio Massula Junior

Aug 28, 2015, 9:59:54 PM8/28/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Kai.

First of all, thanks for the video!

I forgot to mention on my previous message that I've tried this trick, but didn't worked (I saw on the video linked on your first message).

I suspect the reason is, the S4 came with KitKat 4.2 when it was released, and at that time Samsung devices normally came with a Menu button instead an Overview button.

With this new ROM, S4 Menu button SOMETIMES acts like the overview button, but not often.

After, I've tried Webconverger on a S5 with Lollipop (that has a Overview button),  and it worked as expected.

Other thing I've saw was, in S4, the pop-ups that explain how to unpin Webconverger aren't shown. On S5, they appear normally.

So, I think the problem is the S4 configuration and, by extension, some manufacturers customized ROMs.

Cheers,

--
Márcio Massula Jr.