administrator login with 2fa

António Ramos

Aug 29, 2023, 12:09:26 PM8/29/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
i just activated the two step auth with this
auth.settings.two_factor_authentication_group = "auth2step"

but now how do i include the administrator user  ?

regards
António

Clemens

Aug 29, 2023, 1:25:05 PM8/29/23
to web2py-users
Try enabling 2FA via the following setting, since this is for all users:
auth.settings.auth_two_factor_enabled = True

Regards
Clemens

António Ramos

Aug 29, 2023, 2:44:38 PM8/29/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
But that is for everyone, i just want to start with users with admin powers

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

António Ramos

Aug 30, 2023, 5:14:43 AM8/30/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
in other words, how do i protect the administrator password? it does not have a username , just a password. This is scary :)

António Ramos

Sep 1, 2023, 6:24:53 AM9/1/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
Anyone can help me ?

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 10:00:03 AM9/1/23
to web2py-users
Here is the code I wrote that only enforced 2fa for users outside our local networks.

There is some commented out code there that additionally allowed me to specify users in a group so only that group was force to 2fa

def _two_factor_required(auth_user):
    """
    check whether we need to enforce MFA on this login

   We enforce MFA only on logins external to our network.

    Returns
    -------
    bool - enforce MFA
        - True means this login requires MFA
        - False means we will not enforce MFA for this login
    """
    import ipaddress

    return False  #  temp use to disable mfa

    if len(request.args) > 0 and request.args[0] == "login":
        if auth_user.mfa_override and datetime.datetime.now() <= auth_user.mfa_override:
            #  no mfa required if the user override is set   - we added a field in auth_user to allow us to override if a user was having trouble or lost their phone or something
            return False

        qlf_networks = [
            "9.9.9.9/22",
            "9.9.9.0/24",
            "9.9.9.101/24",
        ]

        ip_list = []
        for range in qlf_networks:
            ip_list.extend(ipaddress.IPv4Network(unicode(range)))

        if ipaddress.IPv4Address(unicode(request.client)) in ip_list:
            #  if the client address is in the local address list, then do NOT require MFA so set to False
            return_value = False

        #  build the MFA Required group members
        # if return_value:
        #     print(datetime.datetime.now())
        #     ag = db(db.auth_group.role == "MFA Required (web2py)").select().first()
        #     if not ag:
        #         ag = db.auth_group.insert("MFA Required (web2py)")
        #     for ou in db(
        #         (db.auth_user.active == True)
        #         | (
        #             (db.auth_user.mfa_override == None)
        #             & (db.auth_user.mfa_override <= datetime.datetime.now())
        #         )
        #     ).select():
        #         db.auth_membership.update_or_insert(user_id=ou.id, group_id=ag)
        #
        #     #  clear out any members that are currently exempt from MFA
        #     if ag:
        #         for exempt_user in db(
        #             (db.auth_user.mfa_override >= datetime.datetime.now())
        #             & (db.auth_user.active == True)
        #         ).select():
        #             db(
        #                 (db.auth_membership.group_id == ag.id)
        #                 & (db.auth_membership.user_id == exempt_user.id)
        #             ).delete()
        #     db.commit()
        #
        #     print(datetime.datetime.now())
        #
        #     #  set to False to force web2py to check the two_factor_authentication  group
        #     return_value = False

That code is in db.py

Then....

auth.settings.auth_two_factor_enabled = lambda user: _two_factor_required(user)
auth.messages.two_factor_comment = "QLF MFA - you have been sent a code"
auth.settings.two_factor_methods = [
    lambda user, auth_two_factor: _send_sms(user, auth_two_factor)
]

My _send_sms code built and sms and sent it via Twilio or RingCentral

I wrote this code, but then we ended up not implementing.  The web2py code is going away for us.  All the same concepts work in py4web (nudge wink wink)

-Jim

António Ramos

Sep 1, 2023, 10:53:43 AM9/1/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim
this line of code
auth.settings.auth_two_factor_enabled = True
does not protect the administrator password. Only created users.
That is my question, how to force administrator to use 2fa ?
regards
António

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 11:08:26 AM9/1/23
to web2py-users
What does 'administrator password' mean to you?

I'm not sure what you're referring to

-Jim

António Ramos

Sep 1, 2023, 11:24:29 AM9/1/23
to web...@googlegroups.com

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 11:53:34 AM9/1/23
to web2py-users
So, are you trying to protect the 'admin' application with 2fa?

If so, can you add the 2fa code to the admin app?

I haven't tried this before

Clemens

Sep 1, 2023, 12:37:10 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
Sorry for not answering any earlier - too much work. Well, in my application (which is in production) I've solved the problem as follows: I've written a controller fully under my control (including 2FA and groups) with just the administration functions I need (users, groups and a rights system on the business objects of my application). On all productive instances (compiled) I've just moved the controllers of appadmin (controllers.appadmin.* ) as well as the admin app to a hidden folder - if needed I can move them back.

That's how it works for me. If your interested in this solution, just say "sounds interesting to me ;-)" and we can have a further conversation on the details.

@Jim: Good to see, that your still in. My plan is to move in 2024 to py4web and have more contact to the community again. web2py is getting more and more a lonely path ;-)

Regards from Germany
Clemens

António Ramos

Sep 1, 2023, 12:44:31 PM9/1/23
to web...@googlegroups.com
yes i tried it on the admin app and it just does not work.
:)

Clemens

Sep 1, 2023, 12:54:02 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
Removing the admin app as well as the appadmin controllers should kill all options of administration. Move these to two to a folder away from web2py. And then you can still call https://.../admin/site or https://.../appadmin?

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 1:40:19 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
I'm just curious

Why do you need access to the admin/appadmin apps in a production environment?

I've never used them there.  I use in development, but never production

-Jim

Clemens

Sep 1, 2023, 2:00:08 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
I don't and I that's why I (re)move these to a hidden folder on system level :-) What I need is to give customers the option to add new users by themselves. For that I've written a small controller under the control of 2FA and so on.

Regards
Clemens

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 2:04:47 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
If I try to go to admin/appadmin web2py returns:

Admin is disabled because insecure channel

Isn't that just the default behavior?

-Jim

Jim S

Sep 1, 2023, 2:07:11 PM9/1/23
to web2py-users
And to second your comment, I too have a controller method that allows users with the proper access, the ability to add additional users.

The only other reason I would want to access admin is to look at error messages/tickets.  But, I have some method in place to read the error messages and forward them to me in an email.

-Jim

Clemens

Sep 3, 2023, 10:47:12 AM9/3/23
to web2py-users
Well, having a method reporting problems is great. My solution is primarily pragmatic: In case move the controllers in and analyse otherwise having them out of access.

After migrating to py4web I will think of such error mailing controller, sounds interesting.