Future of web2py

Clemens

Feb 18, 2020, 10:36:24 AM2/18/20
to web2py-users
Hello Massimo,

I've understood, that py4web is the future. But I have one important question: Will web2py further maintained? And how long will it be maintained? I'm asking, because I've developed an application on web2py and I need to plan when it has to be migrated/re-implemented. And what do you think will be a factor (e.g. in percentage of the original implementation effort) to switch an application from web2py to py4web?

Thanks in advance for a short answer!

Best regards
Clemens

Massimo Di Pierro

Feb 20, 2020, 10:51:18 PM2/20/20
to web2py-users
It will continue fix bugs. I will add new features as long the same features overlap with py4web.
Honestly web2py has not needed much attention in a while.
I do recommend that people move their apps to py4web simply because I believe the latter is better.

Jörg Schneider

Feb 24, 2020, 3:16:02 AM2/24/20
to web2py-users
Hello Massimo,

at first I want to give you a thousands thanks for creating and promoting web2py! I've learnt a lot from your Vimeo tutorials 5 years ago and was able to built helpful internal web based tools for non-profit organisations or choirs without great effort. With other words: I really appreciate web2py and the work of this community.

I understand, that the development of py4web is a necessary move and I really hope that I'm able to move my apps to the next level of web frameworks with your help. :-)