Has anybody had experience with Visual Studio Code Remote Development?

AGRogers

Aug 7, 2020, 1:45:16 AM8/7/20
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Has anyone used this sort of config before with web2py? That is, VSC connecting via SSH to a remote server (Google Cloud Debian VM for me) and then being able to debug an app on the remote system.

I am getting ready to deploy my app for the first time and have been somewhat fearful that if there is some weird bug I will never be able to track it down without being able to debug on that system.

So i stumbled onto this https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/remote-overview which seems really cool - you can run python apps on a remote server and debug it like it was on the localhost.

So i got a Google Cloud server installed and got VSC talking to it fine and debugged a one line python 'app'. So that was neat.

But I am not sure where to start with web2py in this environment. I havent tried very hard yet though.

Can anyone tell me i am wasting my time or that it works great?

Thanks
Andrew

villas

Aug 10, 2020, 12:17:26 PM8/10/20
to web2py-users
In the absence of other replies...

Massimo has mentioned (in the py4web group) that he knows generally that many developers are using Visual Studio remotely and it is a very good set up, so he strongly recommends it.
This seems consistent with your experience so I suggest you should continue to go with it.
I use VS locally with web2py and like it,  so I'm thinking to do the same.

Kevin Keller

Aug 10, 2020, 3:15:29 PM8/10/20
to web2py-users
I tried to use it once remotely, not even web2py related, but there were quite some hoops to jump through, as far I as remembered.

You have to add some custom code to your app to make communicate etc. and I could not be bothered.

Anyways, I went back to just use vim with several plugins that make it a nice VS Code type experience.

Happy to share the .vimrc file.

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

AGRogers

Aug 10, 2020, 8:20:24 PM8/10/20
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin. I didn't need to do anything in my app to be able to debug. My app was literally only two lines of code. Maybe things have changed? I will keep you posted with my progress.

AGRogers

Aug 10, 2020, 8:20:46 PM8/10/20
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Villas. That's encouraging.