Whats the best way to create an Android or iOS app for web2py project

Rahul

Sep 6, 2019, 7:28:30 AM9/6/19
to web2py-users
Hey Everyone,
I have some interesting questions (It might have been asked before) I want to know -

1) Whats the best way to create an Android or iOS app for web2py project?

2) How can we access a postgres database residing on linux server for a web2py application from such an application?

3) Can we use python to write such apps?

4) Has anyone written any apps that do the above successfully?

Rahul

Dave S

Sep 11, 2019, 4:54:10 AM9/11/19
to web2py-users

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 4:28:30 AM UTC-7, Rahul wrote:
Hey Everyone,
     I have some interesting questions (It might have been asked before) I want to know -

1) Whats the best way to create an Android or iOS app for web2py project?

What's the goal?  Do you want web2py running as a server on the portable device?  Do you want to display on the portable device pages served by a [remote] webserver?  Do you want to access a [remote] web2py server from a native app on the portable device?

Note that a remote web2py server using the view tools that come with it produces pages that are mobile-friendly (er, "responsive") in the sense of adapting to the screen size in various ways.

2) How can we access a postgres database residing on linux server for a web2py application from such an application?

Can't answer this one without knowing more about what #1 means.  A quick note that a remote web2py server could be running on the linux server with the database, or on a separate server, just as for any "normal"  web2py installation.

3) Can we use python to write such apps?

See above.  I think I've seen mention of native python on mobile devices, but perhaps not included in any of the development tools for the device.

4) Has anyone written any apps that do the above successfully?

Rahul

Good luck!

/dps

Pbop

Sep 11, 2019, 6:30:20 PM9/11/19
to web2py-users
Suggest you google NSB/App Studio. A simple easy to use tool to create native iphone/droid apps. Other tools out there of course, but this has a manageable learning curve, Use Web2Py or Py4Web for server side back-end.

Rahul Dhakate

Sep 13, 2019, 3:23:27 AM9/13/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Dave and Pbop for getting back with the answers. Sorry about posting less details

@dave - No, I do not intend to run web2py on mobile device. Web2py would serve my application on the web as it usually does.

The idea is to write another simple iOS or Android application in some tool like say what Pbop mentioned.( Or Python if we can and if supported!)

 I want to connect to my web2py web application  from the mobile or PDA app.
So yes - I wanna do the following -

Do you want to access a [remote] web2py server from a native app on the portable device?
 YES sort of where I will only access postgres database of the application by passing web2py app. I was researching if python could come in handy for this..

My application already works on mobile device in responsive fashion however I would want a stripped down version with a few mobile specific features added for a great user experience.

So for —-
2) How can we access a postgres database residing on linux server for a web2py application from such an application?
To Add - Here The application and database reside on the same linux box.

Let me know on these and a couple questions I posted below.

Regards,

Rahul

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Rahul Dhakate

Sep 19, 2019, 2:32:01 AM9/19/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
        Any clues anyone on the questions asked?

Regards,
Rahul