INP introduction date

Henri Helvetica

Mar 15, 2023, 4:14:53 PM3/15/23
to web-vitals-feedback
This is small and trivial but I'm getting ready for a webinar w/ Annie S and I was going through the CWV changelog and did not find any date in particular posted. Is there anyone who has a date  when INP was introduced as a public experiment? I have a blog post dating to Nov 2021, then one more dating May 22.

Thx!

Annie Sullivan

Mar 15, 2023, 4:33:02 PM3/15/23
to Henri Helvetica, web-vitals-feedback
You've got both the original announcements! The implementation was first fully described in the November 2021 blog post, and then the metric name was announced in the May article.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 4:14 PM Henri Helvetica <henrihe...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is small and trivial but I'm getting ready for a webinar w/ Annie S and I was going through the CWV changelog and did not find any date in particular posted. Is there anyone who has a date  when INP was introduced as a public experiment? I have a blog post dating to Nov 2021, then one more dating May 22.

Thx!

Michal Mocny

Mar 15, 2023, 4:36:52 PM3/15/23
to Henri Helvetica, web-vitals-feedback
If you are asking about the name INP specifically, I think that was selected early 2022, and we started using it around that second blog post, and it was already in place when we presented at Google I/O 2022.

But the metric itself was a gradual evolution, as part of Event Timing web performance WG efforts, and folks were working on it as far back as 2020.

In my 2cents, the best single date to use was the first time it was included in CrUX data (though the early releases went through some churn), which I believe was March 2022.  Cheers.

Barry Pollard

Mar 15, 2023, 4:42:32 PM3/15/23
to Michal Mocny, Henri Helvetica, web-vitals-feedback
Looks like it was included in CrUX just before Google IO in time to be included in the May release:
Prior to that it had first been included two months previously but using the experimental.responsive name:

Henri Helvetica

Mar 15, 2023, 5:06:56 PM3/15/23
to Barry Pollard, Michal Mocny, web-vitals-feedback
Ah.  Thx everyone! I guess I had enough info. Was trying to get a little granular w/ the dates. 🙃