[TBT] - TaskAttributionTiming empty fields - question

Omri Ariav

Jul 12, 2021, 11:17:09 AM7/12/21
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi!

We're working on optimizing our TBT contribution, detecting the long tasks we may cause as 3rd party vendor.

We are using the performance observer to identify the long tasks.

The issue is when we use the `PerformanceLongTaskTiming['TaskAttributionTiming']` all the properties are empty or without reference to the script contributor.
image (2).png

Can you please provide more information if it is possible to attribute the long task to the initiator script/container/context?

Thanks in advance!

Yoav Weiss

Jul 12, 2021, 11:34:46 AM7/12/21
to Omri Ariav, web-vitals-feedback
Hey,

Thanks for outlining your use case!
The need for better Long Task attribution is clear, but the exact shape of the solution and how it would be implemented is less so.
The Web Performance WG discussed this most recently at TPAC, but I don't believe much progress has been made since.

Cheers :)
Yoav

Omri Ariav

Jul 12, 2021, 1:54:45 PM7/12/21
to web-vitals-feedback
Thanks, Yoav. We will keep our eye open on this.
If there is anything we can do to contribute or excelerate this, please let me know.

Omri.

Omri Ariav

May 11, 2022, 5:37:02 AM5/11/22
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi all,

Circling back here, now that we have Interaction to Next Paint (INP) on an experiment - will it be possible to attribute long tasks to a script any time soon using the performance observer?
It will help with monitoring the TBT impact (see in my first email on this thread).

Thanks,
Omri.

Yoav Weiss

May 11, 2022, 6:41:22 AM5/11/22
to Omri Ariav, web-vitals-feedback
Hey Omri,

I've landed Task Attribution which is the required infrastructure for Long Task Attribution. So there's some progress towards it..

Cheers,
Yoav