youtube guard only partialy working

S Irlapati

Feb 25, 2022, 9:04:01 AM2/25/22
to Diladele Web Safety
I am using websafety7.6 and have youtube guard setup to block certain categories, like gaming. On youtube.com, I am able to browse and also watch fortnite videos. But if the same link is copied and pasted into a new tab, the youtube guard kicks in the blocks it.

Is it possible to block gaming videos when merely browsing youtube.com?

Sam

Rafael Akchurin

Feb 25, 2022, 9:08:37 AM2/25/22
to web-s...@googlegroups.com

The YT has again changed the inner workings of the YT page app.

Could you please do the test after completely clearing the browser cache? Usually it helps.

Best regards,

Rafael

S Irlapati

Feb 27, 2022, 1:06:11 PM2/27/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi Rafael,

That has not worked. Is there anything else I can try?

Sam

Rafael Akchurin

Feb 27, 2022, 1:40:50 PM2/27/22
to web-s...@googlegroups.com

I need to reseach then – may I ask you to send me the exact URL you see in the browser tab when Gaming category is blocked?

We use YT API to lookup the categories of the videos – one possibility that some videos are not categorized correctly.

S Irlapati

Feb 27, 2022, 2:01:32 PM2/27/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Hi Rafael,

Here is the method I use to get to a gaming video.
  • go to youtube.com
  • On the left bar, under the title "BEST OF YOUTUBE", select "Gaming"
  • The on the main page, under the recommended videos, select ""I made 100 players simulate civilization in minecraft"
  • The video plays.
If I copy the link from that video, clear cookies and paste it in a new video, it get blocked by websafety.

Thanks for looking into this.

Sam

rafael....@diladele.com

Mar 1, 2022, 7:46:13 AM3/1/22
to Diladele Web Safety
Indeed I am able to see the videos playing although the category is blocked.
The reason for this might be the following:

- web filter looks at the URL to find out the video ID
- lately YT started to move to POST request with video is to play in the body of the request, not the URL itself
- the web filter allows such request (we do not scan outgoing payload only ingoing payload (responses))
- video starts to play

If you open a new windows and paste the video URL into it - the id is present in the URL itself and thus it gets blocked.

I see two possibilities for improvements:

- start analyzing the payload of the POST requests (at least to youtube domain)
- when looking for video is - also scan the textual contents of the description using the dynamic categorizer - which is able to detect games related texts. See https://github.com/diladele/websafety/issues/1569

I have no idea how hard it is to implement

Best regards,
Rafael