Have you Gone Wireless, Yet?

M. Taylor

Jan 8, 2023, 12:44:29 AM1/8/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I have long been a fan of Apple wired Ear Pods.

I had to have my original beloved 8 Plus replaced, about a month prior to
its warranty expiration because the audio function of the Lightening port
went bad.

For the last 6-months or so, perhaps longer, while the Lightening port on my
replacement 8 Plus still functioned as expected, it lost the ability to
retain a cable, unassisted. This is to say, when I hold the phone in
portrait mode, perpendicular to the ground, any attached cable will fall
out.

I am certain that I was the blame for this as I used to frequently roll onto
the phone, when sleeping; very often tangling the cable with tension for
hours at a time. (How's that for too much information? (smile)).

My point, I am determined not to ruin the Lightening port on my 14.

With that in mind, I am doing my best to wing myself from the wired Ear Pods
in favor of Apple Air Pods.

Even though I like Air Pods and they are definitely more convenient to use
than the wired alternative, I still find myself reaching for the wired pair,
more than anything else.

I was just wondering how many of you have gone completely wireless having
all but abandoned the wired Ear Pods?

It is interesting because when I go to Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. I
always see wired Ear Pods, with either the Lightening or audio connector,
readily available.

All replies appreciated.

Mark

Simon A Fogarty

Jan 8, 2023, 1:07:56 AM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi mark,

Um, don't go choaking yourself with the headphone cable,

But hey, why do you wear headphones when in bed?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have the phone playing audio beside you!?

But the airpods are great, I don’t' like wearing them at night because I can roll on to my side and they then dig in to my ears.

But if you are looking for a good quality Bluetooth headphoens / ear pods to ware at night,
Check out the bose sleep pods,
I've not used them myself but tey are meant for use in situations like you are speaking of here,and I can say from years of constant usage,
Bose make great audio headphones etc.

mrsi...@sasktel.net

Jan 8, 2023, 1:15:41 AM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Some people use ear things at night so they do not disturb whomever they are sleeping with.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/SY4PR01MB70268F94B1196E26E97D82D68AF99%40SY4PR01MB7026.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

Chris Chaffin

Jan 8, 2023, 9:47:07 AM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com

I have been wireless for over 2 years now and would not go back. I have a pair of Airpods 2nd generation, really like them, and think they have a good sound.

That said, I would not recommend using them in bed before going to sleep. I have tried this, and mine had the tendency to fall out when ever I rolled on my side. Of coarse I knew they did not go far, but sometimes it was very difficult finding them within all of the covers on the bed.

I do recommend using wireless in bed so you can just lay your phone on a night table and not actually have it directly attached to you. One wireless option is the Beats Flex. The thing that would be good about wearing them in bed is because the buds are connected to a wire that goes around the back of your neck, so if one does happen to fall out, more than likely, they would still be hanging around your neck.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

> On Jan 7, 2023, at 11:44 PM, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello All,

Dennis Long

Jan 8, 2023, 10:18:46 AM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com

Michael Irons

Jan 8, 2023, 12:40:42 PM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
I went wireless in 2013. The wire Apple earbuds always hurt my ears every time I wear them. They are completely and totally uncomfortable for me.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 7, 2023, at 11:44 PM, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello All,

paeks...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2023, 6:19:01 PM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
I still use wired Earpods when reading in bed. I love my Airpods at other times, but as mentioned below, I am afraid they would fall out in bed. I also don't like wearing Airpods on a plane for the same reason. I have a headboard with shelves behind my pillow, so I set my phone or iPad on that while reading so I don't have a problem with the device landing in bed.

Jan 8, 2023, 10:16:10 PM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Hello Simon,

Your post made me smile.

I will definitely check out those sleep pods.

I have never herd of them, until now.

Thank you.

Mark
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/SY4PR01MB70268F94B1196E26E97D82D68AF99%40SY4PR01MB7026.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

M. Taylor

Jan 8, 2023, 10:17:45 PM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
An excellent point, to be sure, (smile).

Mark
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/000101d92328%24a1803be0%24e480b3a0%24%40sasktel.net.

M. Taylor

Jan 8, 2023, 10:23:21 PM1/8/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Sieghard,

Your post made me laugh out loud as your sleeping scenario mirrors my own, almost exactly (smile).

I do so love my wired Ear Pods but I will, indeed, check out a couple of wireless devices that are designed for sleeping. I had no idea that such things even existed.

Thank you,

Mark

Jan 8, 2023, 10:34:31 PM1/8/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Hey mark,

Have you looked in to pillows with built in speakers so you can rest your head between the speakers while you go to sleep,
Just be awarte that your partner could put another pillow over your face and push down
Which could end badly for all parties.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone, The Next Generation" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/002601d923d9%24b8e48640%242aad92c0%24%40ucla.edu.

M. Taylor

Jan 9, 2023, 12:13:17 AM1/9/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
You've got me cracking up, Simon. Big, big, big smile.

Mark
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/SY4PR01MB70269BCBDBBD8BE8EFBCBE0A8AFE9%40SY4PR01MB7026.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

M. Taylor

Jan 9, 2023, 12:55:37 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello Malcolm,

I have Apple Air Pods, second gen, and Apple Air Pods, Pro.

When at home, I prefer to use the Air Pods, second gen, although they are slightly buggy when compared to my Air Pods Pro.

Like Sieghard, I do not like having anything placed in my ear canal but the Pros do not bother me as long as transparency mode is set to, on.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 12:58:27 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello William,

You know? You're absolutely correct. The Air Pods, Second Gen, in no way indicate that they are, in fact, Second Generation.

I really enjoy using the Second Gen model, for the most part.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:00:18 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

I will check out the Ear Funs.

Thank you,

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:02:05 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, Kelly.

Thank you for posting.

I will do some research on those.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:12:25 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terri,

Your comments are most helpful, indeed, I assure you.

Yes, sore ears can definitely be the result of Ear Pods, especially if you sleep with them, in your ears.

Thanks to this thread, I am going to order a sleep band set and hopefully begin a new chapter in ear bud technology, for me.

Yes, finding the right set of listening devices can be so very expensive.

I remember back when A2DP technology was new, I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to find the right set for me. At one time, I think I had over 12 different pairs of headphones.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I do not stray far from the proverbial Apple Orchard unless I absolutely need to do so. It would seem, as far as not ruining another iPhone lightening port, while sleeping is concerned, it is time for me to go, "walk about", for a while.

Thank you for posting to this thread.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:16:19 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Alison,

Reading your post reminded me of the Borg mantra, from Star Trek, "resistance is Futile." (pronounced, foo tile, UK English pronunciation) (big Smile).

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:27:10 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deidra,

Yes, while I keep a healthy supply of Braille novels, magazines, and periodicals in my house, it can be challenging, from time-to-time, to disconnect from the web.

A couple of weeks ago, when in a hurry, a friend and I left my house heading to a store to do a bit of light shopping. Halfway there, I realized that I had left my phone, at home.

It was all I could do to keep from having her turn the car around and returning to retrieve it.

While out, we decided to grab some lunch at a restaurant.

While we were out, I found myself fighting panic attacks at not having access to the internet. Now I knew this was foolish; after all, I wasn't expecting any important phone calls, I knew that we would be heading back to the house within a couple of hours or so, etc. Still, I found it most difficult to stay calm and pay attention to her.

She kept asking, "Are you okay?"

I told her that I had left my phone at home and that it was no big deal. I soon discovered that, in my mind at least, it was, in fact, a tremendously large, big deal (smile).)

When, near the end of our meal, she suggested that we go to a park for a while, I all but screamed, "No!"

I simply couldn't stand the thought of being separated from my phone, one minute longer.

So, yes, addicting, these devices can definitely be, to say the least.

Mark

These posts are great. You all are up on all that is out there. As for me, I can't wear any kind of ear pieces because they cause me sharp pain in my inner ear. I am glued to my phone day and night mostly because I text and read a lot, but I find if I do not turn my phone off at night, I sleep poorly because as soon as I wake in the night, I once more reach for the phone. I fall asleep again but if I leave the phone off I somehow sleep much better and wake less!
Round the clock entertainment these phone sure provide us. Does that spell distraction or cultural etification?

Smiling,

Deidre

Jan 9, 2023, 1:28:21 AM1/9/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Very helpful, Chris, thank you.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:30:07 AM1/9/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
This is great, Dennis, I'll check them out.

Thank you, also, for posting the link.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:32:38 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Alan, I agree.

There is something weird about the Air Pods, Second Gen, and phone calls.

Mark

I have to agree with Sieghard. I have the best success with wired Apple Earpods and consider them the best value of any earbuds I've consistently used. I have some second generation wireless Apple Airpods and while they're ok for listening to content, they mess up whenever I receive a phone call. And I still use my iPhone 13 Mini as a phone although it seems the phone app performs inconsistently when using Voiceover. I don't know if the issue is the microphone in the Airpods but I get the most consistent performance with the wired Apple Earpods.

Alan Lemly

Jan 9, 2023, 1:34:01 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mickey,

Yes, you make perfect sense.

Thank you for posting.

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:37:32 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
You're coming through, 5 by 5, Mich.

I always, and I do mean, always, remove any listening devices from my ears when I am crossing a street.

Mark

I have gone whierless in the sence that I have apple air pods and the reason why I got them was onishinaly to use MS. Soundskape but now that they are making soundscape oapin scores I do use them to listen to music but not while I am out and about since I need my ears free to listen for traffic etc. from Mich.

I have to agree with Sieghard. I have the best success with wired Apple Earpods and consider them the best value of any earbuds I've consistently used. I have some second generation wireless Apple Airpods and while they're ok for listening to content, they mess up whenever I receive a phone call. And I still use my iPhone 13 Mini as a phone although it seems the phone app performs inconsistently when using Voiceover. I don't know if the issue is the microphone in the Airpods but I get the most consistent performance with the wired Apple Earpods.

Alan Lemly

Jan 9, 2023, 1:40:17 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Dan.

You are truly the, man! (big smile).

I can't believe that you have yet to pull the phone off the charger when sleeping. Good for you.

With that kind of luck, you should consider playing the super lotto, from time-to-time (smile).

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 1:52:12 AM1/9/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sieghard,

Great!!!! Thank you for posting the link to these.

I was afraid of purchasing the wrong model.

“You’re a good man, Charlie Brown.” (smile).

Mark

Jan 9, 2023, 3:37:49 AM1/9/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I know I've heard of the sleep head band type headphones,

I'm not sure about the bose sleep pods
But hey check them out,

Bose make some great stuff,

Jan 9, 2023, 6:47:11 AM1/9/23
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Funny story Mark. For being parted from one's phone to cause such anxiety for half a day, well, that sounds like a legitimate ailment! I sometimes leave my phone behind when I go out, and when I do, I feel liberated, though again, my phone serves so many purposes due to being print impaired, it is a fabulous tool that enables me to do so many things that others might do with a pen and paper, or their own phones, for that matter.
One friend of mine hates it if he can't reach me and says tings like "of all people..." and this comment is in relation to my blindness and possibly getting stuck or disoriented or something like that.
I'm amazed that I have never misplaced a phone as much as I handle mine. I do occasionally worry that I do not have anyone's phone number memorized and that if I did lose or misplaced my phone, I'd be a little hard pressed to bring up anyone's phone number for someone else to call!
I somehow think that were I to do something like a road trip while camping all along the way, I would probably feel like I had been returned to a previous world, were I to be phoneless. It was like when I smoked, I was not fully committed to it, and yet, I love my phone. I guess what I am saying is that I don't thing the ability to remain "hooked" up 24 hours a day is particularly healthy. JMO.

Deidre